Sleep

Well don't worry GT I didn't get out of work till 14:45pm today and left the yard a hair after 0500
My first stop was 404 cases and took me a good 3 hours. I'm trying to figure out if there is a better way to do that stop then the way I have been doing it.

3 hrs for 400 cases? There isn't anything wrong with that 133 cases per hour, and you have to dig for it, I wouldn't be ashamed of that!

Here it is almost 2300 my time, I went to bed at 2100, got to get up at 0200, I have given up for the night, got very little sleep last night, I don't know whats wrong with me, I can't get my brain to stop, its getting tough to deal with. I have a 14 hr day tomorrow to boot.

3 hrs for 400 cases? There isn't anything wrong with that 133 cases per hour, and you have to dig for it, I wouldn't be ashamed of that!

Here it is almost 2300 my time, I went to bed at 2100, got to get up at 0200, I have given up for the night, got very little sleep last night, I don't know whats wrong with me, I can't get my brain to stop, its getting tough to deal with. I have a 14 hr day tomorrow to boot.

That's what I was thinking 400 cases in 3 hours is a respectable time plus sounds like a good first stop. I would have loved to start with a 400 case stop every day, even with Sysco's screwed up loading that's still half your trailer. You do 400 right off the bat you have some room to work the rest of your stops. If your slinging 133 cases an hour you will be fine.

I use to have a stop every Monday morning. My first stop of the day and they took 300 to 400 cases. Be done in 2 hrs-2.5 hrs. That included separating and putting product in certain locations. Now that I'm fat and lazy idk if I could do it that fast again

I had a 14 hour day today I think, I don't know usually once I hit 14 hours at work my cognition starts to go. I wrote down the wrong clock out time not on purpose, but because I wasn't thinking straight when I got back to the office to do my paper work. Speaking of which it's 20:24est the day transit trucks are returning to the yard if I was on a skip day route I could skip down to the yard hop in my truck and take off for my first stop ha-ha!

I was the last truck back today it was only a matter of time before I won that award. I hope for my sake tomorrow is shorter.

Figured out whats wrong....I was iron deficiant, diagnosed with it before, the whole time I was taking vitamin D, I had ran out of my iron, the bottles look the same, this has been going on for a couple of months now, I'm real irritable, no energy, can't sleep, took a double dose yesterday and actually slept, it felt good.

its amazing how a mineral can run my life, but it does. I should be good to go now!

I get more sleep running night linehaul then I did doing early morning foodservice 0200-0400. I used to average 4-5 hrs of sleep at foodservice. Now I sleep pretty well 6-9 hrs during the day as long as my room stays cool in the summer. I've been a night person since after the military. Job after the military didn't have me come in til 10-11am so I'd stay up til 1am on work nights and later on days off for 7 yrs. I was in my 20's. Then went to foodservice and couldn't adapt to the early shift. Was pretty miserable, a couple times I only slept 1-2 hrs. A lot of the drivers there that been there for awhile average 3-4hrs a night cause of trying to spend time with family. Think night linehaul works for me. I get plenty of sleep and sleep pretty well. But it's just me. Drivers with families even in linehaul usually struggle with sleep balance.

Last edited:
I get more sleep running night linehaul then I did doing early morning foodservice 0200-0400. I used to average 4-5 hrs of sleep at foodservice. Now I sleep pretty well 6-9 hrs during the day as long as my room stays cool in the summer. I've been a night person since after the military. Job after the military didn't have me come in til 10-11am so I'd stay up til 1am on work nights and later on days off for 7 yrs. I was in my 20's. Then went to foodservice and couldn't adapt to the early shift. Was pretty miserable, a couple times I only slept 1-2 hrs. A lot of the drivers there that been there for awhile average 3-4hrs a night cause of trying to spend time with family. Think night linehaul works for me. I get plenty of sleep and sleep pretty well. But it's just me. Drivers with families even in linehaul usually struggle with sleep balance.
I guess I am the opposite of you. I started my career working days for many years, 8 am start mon-Friday (Bankers hours). Then went to a dispatch from 3-7 am for many years which I eventually got used to. Then due to a plant closure and new job I went to night work for the first time in my life. Starting anywhere from 8-11 pm working 12-14 hours. For the first few months I was exhausted when I hit the sheets, but I could not sleep. Eventually I was able to sleep descent but not like I did when I slept at night. I reluctantly made a job change after 10 years for what I hoped would be a better quality of life. I work harder now but my body isn't near as tired at the end of the week now as it was before when I was holding a steering wheel for 50-60 hours a week nightly. Now I start when ever I feel like it, but it's usually between 5 and 7 am. I am glad I made the change to day work and I can't ever go back to nights since I am lucky to be awake at 10 pm. Stay safe out there at night!

I won't make it to see it, but GFS early transit set would be a good job for me, it's mostly second shift, leave the yard between noon and 2 something and get back around 9-10 at night. Even now I can't go to bed real early, 9:00pm is to early for me it's just the way it is. So though that job would be a great fit, get home around 11ish go to bed around midnight 1am get up about 8-9am have some time to kill and then go to work. I worked second shift for a long time at the restaurant 4 years and I would do it again in a minute. To me you get the best of both worlds don't have to be up super early and you still get to sleep at night when it's dark outside. It's win win in my book.

Now like the thing that's kind of funny at our yard is we have guys and I've been there and ridden with them that leave the yard at 2am sure they get back by 11-12ish but by 7pm there going to bed, I don't know if I like that.

Speaking of broken sleep when I worked at the beer company gosh, I would wake up in the middle of the night get ready for work and realize it was only 3am. Now I get up at 330am have to go to work and usually get home around 4pm.

Do you have transit drivers based out of the the shuttle sites or are they all based out of the warehouse?
The transit drivers are based out of the shuttle site where I work. Now that's not to say a transit driver based out of the warehouse doesn't run a set down from time to time, but mostly based out of the shuttle site.

Oil field stinks, two weeks on one off, each rotation we switch from days to nights. 14-15hr days then drive home hour each way. Usually get home around 19:30 bed by 22:00 then up at 02:45. It's tough on me and my family and I'm only in my twenties. I don't wish to go back on nights til my kids are all grown

I said when I got off nights at the warehouse I would never go back to nights. But here I am running night linehaul. Schedule works out tho having a 4 year old. Which my won just turned 4 monday. But someday I want to be back on day shift again. But I want to keep making 70k and up if I do

I gotta say, I'm home now more than I have ever been. Yeah, I leave the house at midnight and then I'm gone overnight, but I'm back home by noon following day. I do that twice a week. So I'm home three full days and two half days every week. With my wife being a teacher and home all summer, sometimes we spend a little too much time together...

Not really, I'm lying. I love being home.

Truck Guy,
I know from experience being home is way better then trying to Navigate Mayfield Road in Lyndhurst and South Euclid and then trying to snake the truck around some KFC's or Pizza Hut's lot.

That was the longest summer ever. Couldn't wait for that bid to end.

Now I'm dodging Amish buggies. My goal is to stay out of the city, but I may have taken it to the extreme.

No kidding it was a long summer, seriously I know all about it. Takes a 1/2 hour to drive a route that on paper is 10 minutes. I swear I spend 1/2 my time at work sitting at red lights. Seriously I drive from Warnsville Center and Chagrin down to Warnsville Center to Mayfield and it's nothing but red lights everywhere. Oh and on Tuesday afternoon the occasional garbage truck, fun in the sun!

I wake up at 0200 to start at 0400, work about 12 to 14 hrs, back home, sometimes I'll eat and go to bed other times it's straight to bed without eating, I don't have kids or family so I can get away it and sleep at least 6.

To guys getting less, you're literally killing yourselves. Try the paleo diet, when I was on it, I was wide awake after 5 hrs and full of energy