SAIA | small things you can do to make your truck safer

Dracula

TB Veteran
Credits
I drive an '07 single axle. The top step up on the drivers side and I don't see eye to eye sometimes. Sometimes my shoe will slip sideways and that hurts my old cranky left knee. The reason that it can slip is that there is nothing on the step for my shoe to grab onto. The easiest cure was to go to the shop and have a couple of bolts installed. The bolt heads stand above the step and gives your shoe something to grab.

I've also asked the shop to move the work light to a lower level which would light up the area of the fifth wheel. No luck on that one, they are afraid of being accused of modifying the exsisting system.

Anyone else?

Another thing about the top step. Don't stand on it and lean too far into the truck, putting outward pressure on the step. It pops loose, and down you go.

or if you lean too far forward putting alot of pressure on the ball of your foot you will slip off causing you to fall out of the truck.

[quote author=WhiteEagle link=topic=81946.msg846475#msg846475 date=1279018129]
or if you lean too far forward putting alot of pressure on the ball of your foot you will slip off causing you to fall out of the truck.
[/quote]
I did that once, and my foot didn't slip. My hamstring slipped and I've never been the same since. OwwOwwwOwww.

Drive the same truck everyday? Because then you can make sure what needs to get fixed actually gets fixed. Then you can put a cb in the truck to alert you to any potential problems coming down the road. Perhaps you can put things in the truck that you might actually need, like extra grommets, light cord, fuses and extra coolant, you know the things you always need at this company because they are not serious about upkeep of their equipment.

I've got little stuff like that in mine. Dummy gladhand, pin for the nose stand on pups, airline grommets, screwdriver, crowbar, blah, blah...