Yellow | Some Velocity Drivers "NOT QUALIFIED" To Work The Dock?!

Freightmaster1

TB Legend
Credits
:hide:RFO made it through the first night of "Velocity" and as expected, the production sucked, and the service failures were many! UE's had to be trained on how to do read freight bills, how to scan freight bills, how to long on to computers, etc. etc....New cell phones had to be issued, paperwork had to be explained...and in some cases training had to be given on how to operate the forklifts!

Rumor has it that the UE's got the standard "Forklift training", watched the video, took the test, etc...but some had never even been on a forklift before! We think the company should have invested a little more time in getting these UE's trained on the forklifts before turning them loose on the narrow dock at RFO with 53 forlifts! This smells like some accidents waiting to happen! There were a few bumps and grinds last night, but no one was hurt! These UE's that have never pounded the dock before better be real careful, and put safety ahead of production at all times! The old timers will try to help, but when you have over 17 "new" UE's, many of whom didn't even know how to start a forklift....it's SCARY! Tonight should be much better!:chairshot:

don't try to fix it if it ain't broke

:hide:RFO made it through the first night of "Velocity" and as expected, the production sucked, and the service failures were many! UE's had to be trained on how to do read freight bills, how to scan freight bills, how to long on to computers, etc. etc....New cell phones had to be issued, paperwork had to be explained...and in some cases training had to be given on how to operate the forklifts!

Rumor has it that the UE's got the standard "Forklift training", watched the video, took the test, etc...but some had never even been on a forklift before! We think the company should have invested a little more time in getting these UE's trained on the forklifts before turning them loose on the narrow dock at RFO with 53 forlifts! This smells like some accidents waiting to happen! There were a few bumps and grinds last night, but no one was hurt! These UE's that have never pounded the dock before better be real careful, and put safety ahead of production at all times! The old timers will try to help, but when you have over 17 "new" UE's, many of whom didn't even know how to start a forklift....it's SCARY! Tonight should be much better!:chairshot:
I'm linehaul at CVE. I voted this da..d contract down. When one person who is skilled in one area is trying to do the work of another skilled person in another area and is not skilled in that area...(Management will come thru hopefully) they are just trying to do what the almighty share holders' are telling them to do. Like I said before If this thing does not work (and I pray it does) I will be able to sleep because (I own shares) but I'm not a greedy (stake holder).

:hide: have over 17 "new" UE's, many of whom didn't even know how to start a forklift....it's SCARY! Tonight should be much better!
Hang in there trucker,I am sure these guys will be ok...they learned how to start a semi and drive between point A and point B...so a forklift should not be a problem!!! It does not take a college degree ta do the forklift job,I am sure they will get it down soon enough...I would put my trust in that truck driver before I would some bean head off the street with buggy eyes and is pants half way down below his butt!

don't worry about their ability to drive a forklift - its only your safety - I admit, it did look kinda funny watchin some of them old guys look like 5 year olds on a fork lift

mangement re-training??

I heard on the second night of UE work that one NE terminal had 4 of 6 UE guys via'd on the way home because it was "slow". Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of the UE work?? None of the via'd drivers got back before 10am. They are so busy making sure that bargining unit folks behave themselves they forgot to reprogram the dispatchers?? I feel they will probably have to spend a little money to earn the trust of the customer with this new operation. They should make sure all the freight is on time even if one guy only runs with 2 skids on board. I worked the city for many years and whenever a new service is offered, all my customers would send "test shipments" to see if we can do what is advertised. It is hard to change all of us to perform in a certain manor when dispatch is still operating on the "old" system.