Central Transport | Speak to the President

runawaytrain

Wear their scorn with pride.
Credits
Let this be the thread to speak to the President on. Because heaven knows he will never create a blog for us. So come on....If you could talk to the President what would you say? Of course we know it would never reach his desk. But just for a moment pretend it would.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, but I'm just looking at a hypothetical situation..If you had an opportunity to speak with him and he ask you what you thought about Vitrans dilemma. What would you say? Personally I have seen very little he has done to improve anything. He may be fighting a battle that can never be won. And he may know it by now. My guess is it's pretty damn hot in the kitchen right now and he's about ready to bale. Golden parachute intact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmmm...."Be careful what you wish for".....Might be appropriate....FedX sure is looking good about now.....Hide sight is always 20/20

oh boy, a place to unload a carefully crafted letter that was submitted with my resignation,,,,,,, get back to you

mr keylon, we now know why your boss BILL over at fed ex showed you the door. i hope your wife manages the funds in your household because you sure can't.

mr keylon, we now know why your boss BILL over at fed ex showed you the door. i hope your wife manages the funds in your household because you sure can't.
Good...But you can do better that that. Like NW I'm taking a little time to get mine right.

I would ask......give me 3 reasons why I should want to become a employee of Vitran today. And a steady paycheck is not allowed to be a answer.

Pending the outcome of the mandatory video meeting in PIT/INDY tomorrow, I would ask him....give me one good reason to stay at Vitran anymore. We see all the freight, some of which we have been moving for years, disappear from the docks. We are no longer the primary carrier for most of these companies, just a back-up. Don't give me the stock company sells pitch, just a solid reason to stay. How much more "tear it down to rebuild it" can we survive? Where is the light at the end of the tunnel?

I have talked to him, not only thru email but personally (over the phone) and he seems to be very nice and cares about what the team members think, he has even mentioned this site to me before so I think he comes here to see whats up. think its about time to contact him again though.

Pending the outcome of the mandatory video meeting in PIT/INDY tomorrow, I would ask him....give me one good reason to stay at Vitran anymore. We see all the freight, some of which we have been moving for years, disappear from the docks. We are no longer the primary carrier for most of these companies, just a back-up. Don't give me the stock company sells pitch, just a solid reason to stay. How much more "tear it down to rebuild it" can we survive? Where is the light at the end of the tunnel?
I'm with you on all of that. Most people would be scared to stand up to him. Personally, I would say to him exactly what you said. And if he wanted to fire me it would be his loss not mine.

I would also ask him when he sees the company starting to make money. And if he ever plans on lifting the pay freeze.

Mr. Chris Keylon
President, US LTL Division.
Vitran Express Inc.

Sir,
As a recently departed City Driver (or Peddle or P&D) I feel compelled to post an open letter in this forum to you, but it is meant for all in a Management position above Terminal Manger (or whatever you want to call them.)

1) Vitran claims to look out for our safety? Visit some of your terminals and look close at the equipment with bald tires, missing brake shoes, ect ect ect. Drivers are told under the table if you don't haul it, go home and someone else will who wants the work.
2) Drivers are used as scapegoats,,, It took you 2 hours to go 120 miles on 2 lane roads? Where you been?....
3) It took 45 minutes to load 4 skids? Gee, I called you and said they were not ready, asked if stay or pass....
4) It's not my fault I ran out of room, one customer was allowed to increase skid count from 5 to 13,,,, even though everything in front was doubled to ceiling, it still did not fit! (take a pic of 2 skids high for everything when I get in and kiss my ***)
5) Setting drivers up to break company policy? Do you know how many times a day I moved 2500 to 3500lb skids with jack doing deliveries without docks? Get hurt doing my job of delivering and Vitran will claim I violated company policy and they are not responsible, don't do it and some stupid s**t will in my place.
6) Cell phones,,,,, ya, dispatch still called 10 times a day while I was driving,,,,,,,, yep, take away our Nextels and replace with tablets that you cannot hear driving down the road,,, now most of us use our personal phone for many more minutes on the job than off.
7) CSA scores in toilet? See #1 statement, then explain why you cannot replace some of this equipment with that $50M slush fund you are setting on.
8) Want to gain some ground? Look at who is taking your business lately? Damage while in line haul problems? Con-way Freight - SafeStack - YouTube
9) Complain about your high fuel bills? Designated Tractors and Trailers | Technology | SmartWay | US EPA
10) Think you know it all? Look at an average terminal and see how many years the combined (smart ones, not just complainers) have in this industry.
11) Next step,,,,listen to their ideas? When a General wants to know about a war, he does not go to the Colonels (Terminal Manager) he goes to the Sgt and lower (driver/dock worker) but not here.
12) Outbound needs to be loaded according to what makes sense for a route according to traffic times and location.
13) Get rid of half the sales staff, they are doing nothing but giving away the company. All freight needs to ship according to actual class, with surcharge for haz mat, hand unload, appointment, sort and segregate, and stick to it.
14) Exit interview? Why was I given an exit interview two weeks after I left? Should this not have been done by my TM when I turned in my notice? 15 minutes of questions,,,,, highlight was name good, name bad, what would it have taken to keep you?
15) And on and on,,,, this was 32 entries long, but it turned into more of a complaint letter than a helpful letter....so I will end it here
16) Wanted to keep me???? then you should have bumped me to top wage and top vacation time since I worked harder than almost everyone (we had 5 "runners" out of 17 P&D, I left and two more are serving out notice,,,,they are so screwed) but then i would have felt special, and that is not allowed.....

Mr. Chris Keylon
President, US LTL Division.
Vitran Express Inc.

Sir,
As a recently departed City Driver (or Peddle or P&D) I feel compelled to post an open letter in this forum to you, but it is meant for all in a Management position above Terminal Manger (or whatever you want to call them.)

1) Vitran claims to look out for our safety? Visit some of your terminals and look close at the equipment with bald tires, missing brake shoes, ect ect ect. Drivers are told under the table if you don't haul it, go home and someone else will who wants the work.
2) Drivers are used as scapegoats,,, It took you 2 hours to go 120 miles on 2 lane roads? Where you been?....
3) It took 45 minutes to load 4 skids? Gee, I called you and said they were not ready, asked if stay or pass....
4) It's not my fault I ran out of room, one customer was allowed to increase skid count from 5 to 13,,,, even though everything in front was doubled to ceiling, it still did not fit! (take a pic of 2 skids high for everything when I get in and kiss my ***)
5) Setting drivers up to break company policy? Do you know how many times a day I moved 2500 to 3500lb skids with jack doing deliveries without docks? Get hurt doing my job of delivering and Vitran will claim I violated company policy and they are not responsible, don't do it and some stupid s**t will in my place.
6) Cell phones,,,,, ya, dispatch still called 10 times a day while I was driving,,,,,,,, yep, take away our Nextels and replace with tablets that you cannot hear driving down the road,,, now most of us use our personal phone for many more minutes on the job than off.
7) CSA scores in toilet? See #1 statement, then explain why you cannot replace some of this equipment with that $50M slush fund you are setting on.
8) Want to gain some ground? Look at who is taking your business lately? Damage while in line haul problems? Con-way Freight - SafeStack - YouTube
9) Complain about your high fuel bills? Designated Tractors and Trailers | Technology | SmartWay | US EPA
10) Think you know it all? Look at an average terminal and see how many years the combined (smart ones, not just complainers) have in this industry.
11) Next step,,,,listen to their ideas? When a General wants to know about a war, he does not go to the Colonels (Terminal Manager) he goes to the Sgt and lower (driver/dock worker) but not here.
12) Outbound needs to be loaded according to what makes sense for a route according to traffic times and location.
13) Get rid of half the sales staff, they are doing nothing but giving away the company. All freight needs to ship according to actual class, with surcharge for haz mat, hand unload, appointment, sort and segregate, and stick to it.
14) Exit interview? Why was I given an exit interview two weeks after I left? Should this not have been done by my TM when I turned in my notice? 15 minutes of questions,,,,, highlight was name good, name bad, what would it have taken to keep you?
15) And on and on,,,, this was 32 entries long, but it turned into more of a complaint letter than a helpful letter....so I will end it here
16) Wanted to keep me???? then you should have bumped me to top wage and top vacation time since I worked harder than almost everyone (we had 5 "runners" out of 17 P&D, I left and two more are serving out notice,,,,they are so screwed) but then i would have felt special, and that is not allowed.....
A new contender for the top spot on Vitrans forum..." ltl is great " look out......NW is on a roll.

i misquoted,,,,, exit interview was 1 week after, not 2...oppss

you can read it was turning into just a rant, that is why i deleted so much. this was originally going to my TM along with my notice, but figured it would just end up in trash.

i misquoted,,,,, exit interview was 1 week after, not 2...oppss

you can read it was turning into just a rant, that is why i deleted so much. this was originally going to my TM along with my notice, but figured it would just end up in trash.
Its good NW.....I'm not sure he would ever get it but its worth a shot. On this site many won't read it because its too long....But I did read it all. And I enjoyed it.