R&L | Start work at R&L Monday July 3rd.

imported_wydtrak

TB Lurker
Credits
Some of you might know that I have been trying to get on with R&L for awhile now. Well, my first day is Monday July 3rd. Going to be a linehaul driver in Atlanta.

Was told that I will be coming in to work at 4PM. Will do a couple of trailer swaps then a linehaul run after.

Anything you "veterans" at the company want to share about it both good and bad, pls feel free. Also, how long does it take to get a scheduled run?

wydtrak said:
Was told that I will be coming in to work at 4PM. Will do a couple of trailer swaps then a linehaul run after.
Be prepared to sit around. Don't be surprised if the linhaul goes out about 10:00 or 12:00. If you do your swaps and go right out on the run your lucky.

wydtrak said:
Anything you "veterans" at the company want to share about it both good and bad, pls feel free. Also, how long does it take to get a scheduled run?
Could be tomorrow,next month,next year your guess is good as mine.. Don't expect anything good for a long time ATL is a big barn.. I belive one of the Roberts runs the joint. If he runs it like WIL just get in good cause the good runs go to the butt kissers and family members.......................... :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

wydtrak said:
Some of you might know that I have been trying to get on with R&L for awhile now. Well, my first day is Monday July 3rd. Going to be a linehaul driver in Atlanta.

I say to you, you are blessed to get on with R&L. If you are going to drive a truck for a living, it does not get much better. The pay is very good, the benefits are very good, and the family who ownes the company are very good and decent people who are very generous. (They are also Christians, if that matters to you.)If you have a good attitude and you are a grateful person you will be happy with R&L. Some that post here with their negative attitude, are negative about everything, they don't realize how good they have it, they just want others to be miserable like them. Good luck to you, I think you will find R&L an excellent place to work.:cool:

braceface said:
Some that post here with their negative attitude, are negative about everything, they don't realize how good they have it, they just want others to be miserable like them.
Nothing negative here.. Just telling like it is. The guy asked for info and i gave it.... :smilie_132:

It could take awhile to get a regular run as far as "bidding" on one.
You are at the very bottom of the ladder and could possibly run wild for a long time before things settle down and get regular.
But, if you come in and get 4-5 hours city work then go do a short turn someplace, you could do quite well.
You will have to do some city work as well as running L/H at first. Not much of a way around that.
Just go with the flow, stay loose and give it some time. Things will develop in time that will work well for you.
I've been here for 10 years now and I'm quite content.:wavey:

I appreciate the replies everyone. Rubber duck is right, I did ask for info on the company. It's all good to know. Looking forward to starting at the big R and big L. One thing I didn't know is that the daycab tractors only have 1 seat. Never seen that before. Also, I saw an R+L driver in a new Mack the other day. Didn't know they had any Macks.

wydtrak said:

You didn't specify whether or not this is your first time working for this type of company. I will assume for the moment that it isn't.

I would suggest that you contact one of the moderators and request that they remove those last two sentences. Do not post ANYTHING here that could even come close to identifying you. Terminal managers and other manner of management personnel can and do register as members of this forum under false pretenses so that they may play the role of "thought police", as certain sections of the handbooks are very broadly worded and can be interpreted by one to mean just about anything one wants.

What sort of "trailer swaps"? Drop-and-hooks at a customer, or short relays?

One good thing about starting at that time, is that you'll have your own truck. You won't have to worry about someone else messing it up if you're one who likes to keep it shiny. If you were to start at a more "normal" time for a linehauler, such as between 7 and 10 PM, you'll be sharing a truck with a city driver.

Good and bad? Okay.

First of all, I don't know what kind of trucks they have there. R&L uses Internationals and Macks.

The Int'ls have plenty of horsepower, but no legroom. I've never seen a cornbinder that had any. Don't bother looking for the enginebrake. There isn't one. They also ride rough, as the cabs are rigid-mounted, as opposed to air-ride.

The Macks are all air-ride, cab and suspension, although there are some older ones still around with 4-spring Reyco. The bulldogs have no horsepower at all, but they do ride good and are comfortable.

R&L sets their trucks at 72, so you can roll if you want, and since you probably won't be sharing a truck with someone due to your start time, you can keep your fifth wheel slid up without having to worry about your day driver going in the office and complaining. I prefer that because I think it softens the ride and makes the sets handle and pull a little easier.

If you do get a bid run that starts later, be prepared, because you will be slip-seating. They may stick you with a complete jerk who will screw you in a heartbeat, or someone who won't. City drivers come in all varieties. Some won't clean mirrors or windows, but will raise hell if you don't don't. Others will bi+ch about turning knobs on the CB or radio, or if you adjust the seat to make it comfortable. I don't know how some of these dimwits around here drive with the seat back all the back against the wall, like they're laying down. I have to be sitting up straight.

In any event, as your day driver would have more seniority, he will regard your using "his" truck, as if his name were on the side, as offensive and a complete affront, and will do anything to get you out of it, including dinging the bumper and blaming it on you. Unfortunately, some of them are that way.

You'll still have to do city work if you get a bid run, but not everyday. Only problem is, since R&L operates under slip-seating policies, your terminal will have a rule stating that linehaul drivers assinged to city deliveries must swap their trucks for one that isn't assigned to a city driver, which of course takes longer and means twice the damn paperwork. If it weren't for that I wouldn't mind the extra runs too much. They usually give very easy stuff to linehaul drivers.

One thing about R&L, is that they do pay good. I can't complain about that. I've never been laid off, either. What I've mentioned are the most aggravating things you'll have to deal with. If you can tolerate those, then you'll do fine.

Never had to do city work...came as line haul...still line haul...although we discussed that when I signed on....I do not do city deliveries.or work much extra at all..I have enough seniority now to avoid all that anyway..The extra work is there if you want it though.Thats a good point with R& L they have plenty of work for those that want it..me I am almost at retirement age..I dont want it or need it..to each his own..
Good company ...just watch the BS...PS these trucks belong to Larry Roberts...use yous and stand your ground with the others that slip the tractor you use...worked for me...OK..good luck.
condor:rolleyes: