ODFL | Starting at Old Dominion today

Well I got my radio box yesterday and it made my trip much more enjoyable! Tonight im sitting here in South Beloit, IL waiting on my meet and turn from Minneapolis to get here. I like the meet and turns better than the terminal runs but it does stink when your relay driver is late.

Well I got my radio box yesterday and it made my trip much more enjoyable! Tonight im sitting here in South Beloit, IL waiting on my meet and turn from Minneapolis to get here. I like the meet and turns better than the terminal runs but it does stink when your relay driver is late.

That's why I prefer the terminal runs, don't have to rely on someone else to be on time, or his terminal to get him out on time. At least running terminal runs you only have to worry about your freight at the next terminal being ready when you get there. I'm impressed that you've been doing all these turns, I bag out almost every week. I think that's because dispatch knows I will and don't mind.

Well when they hired me it was home daily so that's what they've been doing with me. I was told they were wanting to get away from the bag runs out of Indy. I don't mind layovers I did them for years at Save A Lot but we got our 10hr breaks paid so you could make an extra $200 just sleeping.

So dispatch called me last night and asked if I wanted to bag out to Parsons, KS and come straight back to Indy. I figured it would be a guaranteed 1100 mile turn so I said yeah I'll do it. Well all was going just fine until around 150mm on I-44 when my Volvo got an engine fault code and I lost power. I made it to the Road Ranger at the 163mm and I had to sit there for about 3hrs waiting on a tractor to be towed to me. When it got there it was an 07 Freightshaker and when I say shaker I mean it. So I didn't have the hours to make it to Parsons so they sent me to Springfield to drop my trailers and take my 10. So now im sitting in a La Quinta Inn waiting to see if they head me back to Indy tonight. I lost about 150 miles so far so im bumming!

So dispatch called me last night and asked if I wanted to bag out to Parsons, KS and come straight back to Indy. I figured it would be a guaranteed 1100 mile turn so I said yeah I'll do it. Well all was going just fine until around 150mm on I-44 when my Volvo got an engine fault code and I lost power. I made it to the Road Ranger at the 163mm and I had to sit there for about 3hrs waiting on a tractor to be towed to me. When it got there it was an 07 Freightshaker and when I say shaker I mean it. So I didn't have the hours to make it to Parsons so they sent me to Springfield to drop my trailers and take my 10. So now im sitting in a La Quinta Inn waiting to see if they head me back to Indy tonight. I lost about 150 miles so far so im bumming!

Yeah that's a bummer, but I look at it like this: if I get 500/day that's really a pretty good deal. Anything more than that is gravy. You lost 300 miles, but you'll probably make it up in a week or two.

That South Beloit meet out of IND that you did the other day has to be a bear with that construction on 90. Went through there about 2 months ago going to TMW and lost a lot of time in the construction. Lol wasn't much better the next day coming back in to CHI!

That South Beloit meet out of IND that you did the other day has to be a bear with that construction on 90. Went through there about 2 months ago going to TMW and lost a lot of time in the construction. Lol wasn't much better the next day coming back in to CHI!

When I run Beloit I shoot up I-74 out of Indy to I-39 so I bypass the construction on 90. We are approved for that route and it gives you about 30 miles more so it goes from a 580 mile turn to a 600 mile plus turn.

And yeah my goal is to have at least 500 miles a day and I usually get it. We have quite a few 600 mile runs and they will run you out and back on 2 different runs and that will get you over 600 miles. I ran Paducah KY the other night and it was 608. When I get back and if I have the hours they will usually let me do a Wabash trailer pick up and with those you're on the clock. It takes about 3hrs to turn so it adds something a little extra to your day.

Dude that's sweet! Good that they approved the alternate route to avoid the construction. I'll be sure to ask if I get run up that way if I can run that way to TMW.

Last edited by a moderator:
well its been 2 weeks running real good starting on the new bid run city run then chi.hoping to get rid of the paper logs this week as well.I was real surprised that the run made it to me.