ODFL | Starting at Old Dominion today

I appreciate your help bigbird42368. I currently run Linehaul for con-way, not to happy over here. From what I've took in from some of your drivers of your drivers od is a great place to work!

As a former con-vict myself (3 years in the city) I can personally attest to the fact ray things are MUCH better over here. So much more laid back, better equipment, people who actually care... I had a dispatcher THANK me for covering a schedule out of a foreign terminal for one of their drivers on vacation! I'm in frickin Sarasota FL! I'm more than happy to cover your schedule! It's just way better here. Good luck getting on!

As a former con-vict myself (3 years in the city) I can personally attest to the fact ray things are MUCH better over here. So much more laid back, better equipment, people who actually care... I had a dispatcher THANK me for covering a schedule out of a foreign terminal for one of their drivers on vacation! I'm in frickin Sarasota FL! I'm more than happy to cover your schedule! It's just way better here. Good luck getting on!

Thanks im hoping I can get on! I live a little over 2 hours from the terminal but if im gonna be a wild driver I don't think that would be a problem. I assume your gone up to a week or more at a time anyways

Sun - thurs, can't beat that. What's your run, mileage, start time etc
Im open board. This week I've been on a 10pm gate 590 mile turn. We run from Indy to the Columbus, OH terminal turn and come back to Indy then we drop and hook and run to the Love's in Memphis, IN and swap with a Morristown,TN driver.

I went to Toledo today with a loaded set and brought back empties. I left out around 10:45am and returned at 8:15pm. It was a 490 mile turn which wasn't to bad. It was my first solo run so I didn't mind having a shorter day since im still learning the different terminals.

I went to Toledo today with a loaded set and brought back empties. I left out around 10:45am and returned at 8:15pm. It was a 490 mile turn which wasn't to bad. It was my first solo run so I didn't mind having a shorter day since im still learning the different terminals.

Not a bad day, I'm on a 398 mile turn today...

1st day on the job and your running daytime linehaul......I must have missed the sign up sheet on that one. Glad your doing good, glad you like it.

Well today was a Nashville meet and turn with an Atlanta driver then on up to Louisville and then back to Indy.

Tonight was an Indy to Chicago then pulled a set of empties down to Chicago West and from there back to Indy. How long will it take for me to get comfortable pulling doubles? I can't get the hang of pulling into a space and having the rear pup end up straight. Its getting super frustrating.

Do worry about it, there doubles, its no big deal. I'll pull in a rest area and park and there rarely straight. You might want to start practing backing your lead and a dolly under your rear trailer. Comes in real handy in the winter. You don't kill yourself pushing that thing thru snow and ice. 2 months from now you'll be used to doubles. It is refreshing that you are taking pride in your work. Before you know it you'll be dragging them down the highway while eating a sandwich, drinking a pop, talking on the phone and cb at the same time and you'll think nothing of it

Tonight was an Indy to Chicago then pulled a set of empties down to Chicago West and from there back to Indy. How long will it take for me to get comfortable pulling doubles? I can't get the hang of pulling into a space and having the rear pup end up straight. Its getting super frustrating.

You will get the hang of it, I am more comfy with 2 empties on ice than I am with 1 on ice, just takes a little time. Now the fun part is, is when you have 3 and you come around the corner to find that the road instantly iced up on you. That's the pucker factor there, I don't like that.

I know the feeling! I'm getting better pulling into rest areas and slots at the yard but I'm a perfectionist too and if they're not straight, I get upset with myself. I feel like it looks unprofessional. What I do to get them straighter is I pull a little bit wider of the space I'm pulling into than I would if I were pulling a 53', I swing into the spot, angle just a hair more to the side I'm turning to, counter steer a hair to the other side and then straighten out. Works pretty well. I try to keep em pointed straight down the road going forward, but like a previous poster said, it's tough when eating a sammich, drinking a soda and talking on the phone all at once. They get just a shade squirrelly. :shift::17142:

I had a driver at the CWS terminal tell me to just forget the rear trailer and concentrate on the lead. He told me where ever the lead goes the rear will follow so when I got back to Indy I pulled between to trailers on the pad like i was pulling 1 trailer and sure enough I got them straight. Hopefully that simple advice was all I needed. He did point out the obvious but I guess there's a reason I hold a steering wheel for a living and not a scalpel.

Just remember that is a no-no.So be very careful not to do something stupid.Just a reminder.Alway's tuck all hose's&cord up on top.Out of the way of pinching.Just saying.
Do worry about it, there doubles, its no big deal. I'll pull in a rest area and park and there rarely straight. You might want to start practing backing your lead and a dolly under your rear trailer. Comes in real handy in the winter. You don't kill yourself pushing that thing thru snow and ice. 2 months from now you'll be used to doubles. It is refreshing that you are taking pride in your work. Before you know it you'll be dragging them down the highway while eating a sandwich, drinking a pop, talking on the phone and cb at the same time and you'll think nothing of it

According to my handy dandy employee plan document, dated Jan. 1, 2012,on page 33, must be classified as a full time employee of ODFL , for at least 90 days..........just an FYI, this is not true for tge 401k. You can start that immediately.

According to my handy dandy employee plan document, dated Jan. 1, 2012,on page 33, must be classified as a full time employee of ODFL , for at least 90 days..........just an FYI, this is not true for tge 401k. You can start that immediately.

Thank You for the info