ABF | Statement from Judy about pension protection

But there again our Union should have been fighting to change the Fair Labor Standards Act many years before deregulation in order to do away with the laws which exempt truckers from being paid overtime. They dropped the ball IMHO. If I were a cynical person I could almost think they didn't want to do that because that would take away one advantage of unionization.
Also the Kennedy's had it in for the union.

I understand what you are saying...... but unions are there to fight for the members first, then the industry they represent....I always thought the union companies should lobby to change the laws for there own benefit....back in the day they had all the money and power to do it.....it brings back something to me that a steward in a different union once told me... The company has all the money in the world to fight things.....the union not so much....David and Goliath story....

In view of the demise of so many unionized trucking companies over recent decades I have to respectfully disagree with you. They're gone but the Union is surviving quite well. Changing the labor laws would have benefited everyone.

In view of the demise of so many unionized trucking companies over recent decades I have to respectfully disagree with you. They're gone but the Union is surviving quite well. Changing the labor laws would have benefited everyone.
I would say we agree on the labor laws should have been changed just not in the how....the unionized trucking industry isn't surviving quite well though....there are far fewer jobs now than in 1980.....

By the way, I just want to say that I appreciate that we have been able to have this recent discussion in a respectful manner without any name calling even though we may have disagreed a little. For what it's worth, it makes me feel quite good. :1036316054:

The only difference with regulation of utilities vs. regulation of trucking is this:
Regulation of utilities protects the consumer, the end user. That's a good thing.
Regulation of trucking protects the companies/employees not the end user/consumer. That's not such a good thing.
So do you feel that the consumer is happier with their freight experience today than they were before deregulation. If so, you should come to Little Rock and run one of our city routes for a few weeks. I think you would probably change your mind. And we will have to agree to disagree about the company/employee vs. the end user/consumer. The end user/consumer should be looking out for their employees like the trucking industry before deregulation did for their companies/employees. That would make it a good thing for both.

By the way, I just want to say that I appreciate that we have been able to have this recent discussion in a respectful manner without any name calling even though we may have disagreed a little. For what it's worth, it makes me feel quite good. :1036316054:
I feel the same way, that's the way I am when someone is having an honest discussion...we can disagree but i respect you and your thoughtful posts..

Union Brothers here & sometimes opinions disagree but in a respectful manner. but no doubt some of the anti union aholes will jump on here for their agenda. :shakehandsnah:

So do you feel that the consumer is happier with their freight experience today than they were before deregulation. If so, you should come to Little Rock and run one of our city routes for a few weeks. I think you would probably change your mind. And we will have to agree to disagree about the company/employee vs. the end user/consumer. The end user/consumer should be looking out for their employees like the trucking industry before deregulation did for their companies/employees. That would make it a good thing for both.

Well, I pedaled freight almost fifty years ago and I heard complaints back then about damaged and late freight. I don't know if that's changed in any dramatic way. As far as the end user/consumer looking out for the trucking companies' employees, I can't imagine the end user/consumer being at all concerned about the trucking company or its employees (to any great degree anyway). He just wants to have freedom of choice on which company to use to ship or receive product depending on his particular requirements. It's the companies' obligation to care about its employees.

I'm going to have to take a little break now and go have a cold beer. I'm emotionally drained from this discussion! :hilarious: :hysterical:

Well, I pedaled freight almost fifty years ago and I heard complaints back then about damaged and late freight. I don't know if that's changed in any dramatic way. As far as the end user/consumer looking out for the trucking companies' employees, I can't imagine the end user/consumer being at all concerned about the trucking company or its employees (to any great degree anyway). He just wants to have freedom of choice on which company to use to ship or receive product depending on his particular requirements. It's the companies' obligation to care about its employees.
You misunderstood what I said. I said the end user/consumer should look out for their own employees, not the trucking companies employees. The trucking companies should be looking out for their employees.