Staying cool

double r

Dock delivery expert
Credits
Let's hear it. How do you deal with the heat. Last week was the worst we had in a few years, humidity was high, heat index of 105-110. The heat I don't mind, but the humidity SUCKS!

So here is what I did:
1)Plenty of ICE COLD WATER. I'm dragging a 28' freezer/cooler, guess where the water was:17142:
2)Fequent breaks in the cooler. Loved those stops that got alot of freezer/cooler items. Even spent five minutes at one stop in the cooler BS with a customer. No GT, nothing happened we are both married, although she is cute, now if we both were not married:17142:anyways.....
3) Loose fitting clothes. Uniform? My t-shirt has the company's name on it, what more do they want? Will not wear that heavy, polyester button down shirt on hot days. My customers know my name. Been delivering to them for a longtime now. We have uniform shorts but we can wear other shirts if we like.

Friday morning, 3am, tempeture was already 83 degrees and humid. My first stop was the fun bakery were you have to carry everything downstairs to what I nicknamed "he!!". Got to be aleast 150 in that basement with 100% humidity. Glad they had a small order. Water was nice and cold in the trailer and coffee was hot in my cup in the tractor. Wired huh, temps in the high 90s, heat index of 105 and I had four cups of coffee that day. Of course it was in the 40s in the cab of the truck, A/C was on high. Felt great.

HAHAHA!!! RR you never disapoint!!!! I carry my old jug and fill it 7 or 8 times at customer stops throughout the day, sometimes we have gatoraide at the doghouse and I grab a couple and put them in the freezer, I always leave the window down with the A/C on. Its an old trick I learned from an old timer at Fedex.

I did 2 summers in a non A/C truck, at 30 yrs of age, my first time ever not having air, once I got the seniority to get a truck with air I had the windows up radio cranked and I was enjoying life...stop number 8 or so, I pulled over, having flu like feelings, got out of the truck feeling weak, sweating throwing up...yep I learned a lesson.

Fast forward 12 yrs later, I still have the window down with the air on, it makes it comfortable yet keeps me aclamated to the heat, I have to turn the reefer off, as I'm sure you do, otherwise the heat and humidity will freeze it up, it will go on auto defrost and ::shit:: will melt, so I actually sweat in my trailer.

I do lot of my stuff at night. Its still sucks at night and drink lots of water. I will go in the freezer to cool off. I take the day one hour at time.

GT I started at 6 pm yesterday and I was back by 2. plus I sat and waited for 45 mins waiting for my meet guy to show up. I dont screw around lol