XPO | Straps on upper decks

Question for the linehaul drivers . How are you getting on the upper decks to strap skids to the wall ?
It goes across like i always did. I'm not climbing up anything. I had 42 straps on a pup the other day,a total joke. This company is taking a very simple job,take a skid off one trailer and load it into another and turning it into time consuming mess. I go into a trailer with a floor to ceiling skid and some joker straps a five gallon bucket to the wall, my 8' skid is going right my behind it.

How to determine if the bars aren’t going to collapse while you on the deck ?
I am probably the same age as most of these upper management types who are coming up with these brainstorm ideas. If you can show me that you,upper management can climb up on the top of load decks or balance on Forktruck blades to strap a skid to the wall. Then I too will follow your example and do it the way you want. Better yet maybe I should take a video of me, climbing up the side of a motor and hanging on with one hand, while I try to strap the back of a skid. And send that to OSHA and see what they have to say about this. Lol.

I am probably the same age as most of these upper management types who are coming up with these brainstorm ideas. If you can show me that you,upper management can climb up on the top of load decks or balance on Forktruck blades to strap a skid to the wall. Then I too will follow your example and do it the way you want. Better yet maybe I should take a video of me, climbing up the side of a motor and hanging on with one hand, while I try to strap the back of a skid. And send that to OSHA and see what they have to say about this. Lol.
Also, keep in mind that they're monitoring forktruck moves so to put one skid on top of a rack requires getting off the motor and hunting down a ladder, putting the ladder up, strapping the backside of a skid, taking the ladder down, getting back on the motor, putting the skid up, then getting back off the motor, putting the ladder back and strapping the front, taking the ladder and moving it back on the dock out-of-the-way. then having to try to explain why you lost Two motor moves per hour. then what happens when the next guy comes in with two skids ceiling high? Reverse the order take the skid off the top of the rack put the racks up put the two skids and then put the racks back down and repeat the process to put the one original skid back up on top, we're in the freight business, we load and unload trucks don't get no more simple than that.

Also, keep in mind that they're monitoring forktruck moves so to put one skid on top of a rack requires getting off the motor and hunting down a ladder, putting the ladder up, strapping the backside of a skid, taking the ladder down, getting back on the motor, putting the skid up, then getting back off the motor, putting the ladder back and strapping the front, taking the ladder and moving it back on the dock out-of-the-way. then having to try to explain why you lost Two motor moves per hour. then what happens when the next guy comes in with two skids ceiling high? Reverse the order take the skid off the top of the rack put the racks up put the two skids and then put the racks back down and repeat the process to put the one original skid back up on top, we're in the freight business, we load and unload trucks don't get no more simple than that.
It is possible, though a pia, to build a rack and attach the strap to the back when putting the bars down. Lots of straps are being attached to one rail, which does very little to secure the freight. As far as motor moves, they can bite me and I’ve told them so. I’m rarely in the green on the hh and I never hear a word about it. I have heard my coworkers tell me that management is tough in XCV though.

Her's the thing. You ask for the work instrustions. The written plan on how you are to do it. Then you follow it to the letter. When they call you in the office about you MM you place the work instructions on there desk and say I'm follow how the company wants me to do it..
As for the climbing on the racks I never did it. You fall and the XPO will blame you and try to get out of paying. If I can't get a strap undone or get it out of my way I cut it and didn't think twice about doing it

It goes across like i always did. I'm not climbing up anything. I had 42 straps on a pup the other day,a total joke. This company is taking a very simple job,take a skid off one trailer and load it into another and turning it into time consuming mess. I go into a trailer with a floor to ceiling skid and some joker straps a five gallon bucket to the wall, my 8' skid is going right my behind it.
I was talked to because I loaded 8 skids all of them 40x48x90 into an empty trailer. When I was done I put a strap across the last 2 skids. I was told I need to strap every skid to the wall by one of those zero defect people. I laughed and drove away

If that’s the way it’s being done. I would ask a supervisor to do it . If you were to get injured doing it you would be issued a letter stating an unsafe act. I find it hard to believe there’s enough ladders for the amount of time this needs to be done in a reship operation safely. Also its never safe to climb on forks.

Everyone now’s things need to move in a timely manner and damage free . It should not be at the risk of people being injured . It seems as management wants people to act unsafe to get the results but if you dont make you mmph goal or get hurt while climbing on a rack their going to come down on you. I don’t know how we manage back in the CCX days we managed fine without these draconian rules.

Everyone now’s things need to move in a timely manner and damage free . It should not be at the risk of people being injured . It seems as management wants people to act unsafe to get the results but if you dont make you mmph goal or get hurt while climbing on a rack their going to come down on you. I don’t know how we manage back in the CCX days we managed fine without these draconian rules.

There are a few ways I do this. First, there should be a bar behind the freight. I attach the strap to the wall, and throw it over that bar and then strap it to the wall. If that's not possible, I'll use the forks on the lift to climb up and strap it, but most of the time a bar will suffice.

Fortunately, FedEx isn't as draconian about these things.

For a trailer to be finished ( totally unloaded ) on inbound for example , all of the SafeStack© bars must be pushed up , all dunnage removed , placards reset to blank , plastic decking removed , and trailer swept. There are 25 SafeStack© bars in a pup.

It takes an incredibly long amount of time to unload a decked trailer with a mess of straps and effed up child pros.

Common sense isn't being exercised when these half-assed ideas are forced on the drivers and dockworkers , common sense is being punished.

As someone wrote previously , I would like the ones telling folks to do these things to show everyone how it should be done or how it's even possible!

I won’t do it. Not safe. You know what causes damages? Space. Eliminate space, freight can’t move. Load properly and there’s no issue. This zero defect thing is causing drivers to take unsafe and unnecessary risks standing on forks, climbing on racks and other foolishness.

For a trailer to be finished ( totally unloaded ) on inbound for example , all of the SafeStack© bars must be pushed up , all dunnage removed , placards reset to blank , plastic decking removed , and trailer swept. There are 25 SafeStack© bars in a pup.

It takes an incredibly long amount of time to unload a decked trailer with a mess of straps and effed up child pros.

Common sense isn't being exercised when these half-assed ideas are forced on the drivers and dockworkers , common sense is being punished.

As someone wrote previously , I would like the ones telling folks to do these things to show everyone how it should be done or how it's even possible!
Well said

I won’t do it. Not safe. You know what causes damages? Space. Eliminate space, freight can’t move. Load properly and there’s no issue. This zero defect thing is causing drivers to take unsafe and unnecessary risks standing on forks, climbing on racks and other foolishness.
Well said

There's NO good explanation for 42 straps or anything close to that for freight to be loaded securely.

I asked the our safety guy had injuries increased since all of the Zero Defect bull started and he was honest and said yes. People falling due to strapaganza.

There's NO good explanation for 42 straps or anything close to that for freight to be loaded securely.

I asked the our safety guy had injuries increased since all of the Zero Defect bull started and he was honest and said yes. People falling due to strapaganza.
No doubt