FedEx Freight | Super super slow

Boats n hoes

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm sure there are parts of the country that are busy. I'm at a hub and this is the slowest I have ever seen it in the summer. I'm sure 2008 was similar. Anyone that went through 2008 that can speak on this? Is it the same or worse? I'm cancelled alot. At least 3 times a week now. Not sure how long this goes on before they have to reevaluate the run.

We sat 13 of our 15 extra board folks at home today. They also canceled several bid runs. All this after we furloughed a lot of folks. Something needs to happen soon like a severance or another furlough. I get it’s a holiday week, but damn…

I'm sure there are parts of the country that are busy. I'm at a hub and this is the slowest I have ever seen it in the summer. I'm sure 2008 was similar. Anyone that went through 2008 that can speak on this? Is it the same or worse? I'm cancelled alot. At least 3 times a week now. Not sure how long this goes on before they have to reevaluate the run.
Well you have to figure out why you are getting cancelled. There are three reasons.
1. Lack of freight.
2. Other terminals coming through and picking up your freight.
3. Purchase transportation.

From my research in Nashville it's usually 2 and 3. That's why I won't bid the last 2 of any meet or hub turn, because your one click away from sitting at home cause Jr in a cubicle says it's a Better Business Decision...

#5. ….numerous bad governmental decisions over the past 3-4 years have deadened the economy to a slow creep. I would personally put that as #1 2 3 4 and 5 but everyone’s mileage may vary.

Empties are piling up quickly. We’ve been slow for a long time but I think this week could’ve been due to the holiday week and not the end of the month.

The real scary part here is that this week is a splitting image of what winter slow time may look like……. Good luck everyone and get on those Ground road bids if you can for 6 weeks

Email Jeff First (Senior Vice President Operations at FedEx Freight) and let him know you're tired of seeing PTs rolling out the gate.
No our issue is central being cancel happy then other centers having to use their extraboard to cover overflow back to us. Yes there are some vias covered by other centers too to us but it's more so the first thing I said. We don't have a purchase trans issue like we've had in the past.

This slowdown is worse than 07,08 slowdown. Money doesn’t talk it screams! IMO This is just now getting started. It usually takes 12 months after the last interest rate increase for the economy to stop slowing.

No our issue is central being cancel happy then other centers having to use their extraboard to cover overflow back to us. Yes there are some vias covered by other centers too to us but it's more so the first thing I said. We don't have a purchase trans issue like we've had in the past.
My run was canceled last week three times because they didn’t want to send empties to the hub. One of those days the hub kicks out 3 extra board drivers back to my center with freight… 2 of the 3 drivers took empties home. Amazing.

Last edited:
Central honestly has no clue but they are able to get away with anything in the name of cost savings or best business decision. It is a joke and has been a joke for years. Here is the problem ... checks and balances for drivers on what we do etc... That is not the case for Central. They don't have to answer for anything and can get away with everything. Holiday time... push everything to rail in the name of saving a few dollars... or does it? May rail from the other side and now you run empties from the side that didn't Problem is that may be in the middle of the country. Seriously it is a total joke and when you have people that don't know what the network is or how the decisions they make impact down the road it will never be fixed.

Central honestly has no clue but they are able to get away with anything in the name of cost savings or best business decision. It is a joke and has been a joke for years. Here is the problem ... checks and balances for drivers on what we do etc... That is not the case for Central. They don't have to answer for anything and can get away with everything. Holiday time... push everything to rail in the name of saving a few dollars... or does it? May rail from the other side and now you run empties from the side that didn't Problem is that may be in the middle of the country. Seriously it is a total joke and when you have people that don't know what the network is or how the decisions they make impact down the road it will never be fixed.
NO ONE SHOULD BE IN CENTRAL DISPATCH WITHOUT A MINIMUM FIVE YEARS DISPATCH EXPERIENCE IN A MAJOR HUB! YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY ALOT MORE. I GUARANTEE IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY IN THE LONG RUN!

Last edited: