TForce | T force experience

flat top

TB Regular
Credits
I'm a newly hired driver at T force , started first part of August. I'm at times thankful for the job and at the same time extremely frustrated by the job. They hired 3 of us as drivers after Yellow went down. 1 Holland driver and 2 of us from YRC. The problem when we started was no trucks and trailers for us to drive. They rented some of both initially, now they have returned trailers and tractors, the decision supposedly coming from higher up, they claimed. Now, the last few days, they have called myself and the other guy below me and stated " you have 2 choices,stay home or start at 3pm on outbound". So we both are coming in at 3 to get our hours, but last two nights we only get 6 hours in because they have too many people on the dock. Don't want to be an idiot, but is this their way of saying we F'd up and we really didn't need to hire 3 guys after all? I hear anecdotal comments from other drivers that they are missing pick-ups constantly. Then I hear comments from drivers saying that T force is primarily focused on deliveries ,not pickups, because managers receive their bonuses off of what they deliver. I know YRC was a mess and I lived it for 27 years, but this place has its own dysfunctions and Im beginning to think my time here will be short lived. Thanks for letting me rant.

I’ve been working here for 8 years. I was laid off last November and me and 3 other guys were called back and one YRC GUY HIRED 5 weeks ago. We were all very optimistic, however the optimism has subsided.
Got about 60 hours the first week and since I’m lucky to get 40.
The YRC driver has only been in a truck 2 or 3 times since being released on his own and is basically working part time dock hours.

If they don’t get rid of the UPS mentality/ management. I don’t believe things will ever change.

There all about numbers and not customers!

I’m in the same position. Have 4 weeks in now and was cleared to run (and was) about a week before another YRC driver who was hired on about a week ahead of me. Once he finally got cleared to go I was put down a click and been docked since. Was even told to stay home one day last week because they’ve cut too many runs and didn’t want any extra dock help. Once the outbound supervisor discovered how busy we were he called asking me to come in anyway but only if I waived the 8 hr guarantee. After sending in around $4000 in cobra payments I’ll take whatever hrs I can get. Hearing also about tons of freight getting left out there. Looks like they watch the same numbers YRC did. Plan the board only around the inbound numbers. It’s tough when every barn around my area have more outbound than they do inbound. Still better than sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring or wondering what’s going to happen next week. Some of my brothers and sisters still are yet.

I’ve been working here for 8 years. I was laid off last November and me and 3 other guys were called back and one YRC GUY HIRED 5 weeks ago. We were all very optimistic, however the optimism has subsided.
Got about 60 hours the first week and since I’m lucky to get 40.
The YRC driver has only been in a truck 2 or 3 times since being released on his own and is basically working part time dock hours.

If they don’t get rid of the UPS mentality/ management. I don’t believe things will ever change.

There all about numbers and not customers!
Wow, what a shame , so much potential there, but they just can't get out of their own way. I just feel like it's inevitable they will be laying us off , if they even keep us past our probation, bastards.

Not throwing gas on the fire here guys, but you do realize, most LTL’s have some people either sitting home daily ,laid off, or on furloughs yet. Freight everywhere is slow, not just TForce. Yes, it is a kick in the nutz, especially when you are close to retirement, but you may have to consider other types of driving jobs. Redi Mix, bulk material hauling, beer distributors, containers, fuel hauling, mail carriers, or even truck driver training programs.

I can't believe that the Ivory Tower of TFI in Canada has any idea what policy is being practiced at the Terminal level. Anyone Regional Mgr.,. to Term. Mngr. is happy as long as they make the bonus. The Corporate procedure can be manipulated with little repercussion. As long as there is one UPS mentality Mngr. left it won't change.
You new hires I feel for you, promises made, nothing new. With time you should get hours, but this is the LTL industry, the most FFFFFFFFed up business there is......

Not throwing gas on the fire here guys, but you do realize, most LTL’s have some people either sitting home daily ,laid off, or on furloughs yet. Freight everywhere is slow, not just TForce. Yes, it is a kick in the nutz, especially when you are close to retirement, but you may have to consider other types of driving jobs. Redi Mix, bulk material hauling, beer distributors, containers, fuel hauling, mail carriers, or even truck driver training programs.
Where did all the freight go that Yellow was hauling, you would think it would be busier 😕

The company is run and I have given up caring about how.
My only thought is that eventually when there are no more terminals to consolidate and shops to close, that OR number is gonna be real hard to hit, because production #s do not equal profit .

My only thought is that eventually when there are no more terminals to consolidate and shops to close, that OR number is gonna be real hard to hit, because production #s do not equal profit .
This place has been cooking the books since UPS… sadly we still have the UPS mentality… it’s about numbers..that’s it! I don’t see this place lasting past this contract! The terminals are trash! The bathrooms are disgusting.. I’d rather go outside! Unless management is changed, we will be in the boneyard with yellow!

It’s getting worse if anyone can believe that!

I agree, whoever is responsible for vehicle, property, dock equip., etc. is either being fed a line of :::shit:::, or they ought to be ashamed of themselves for such little consideration as to the safety and compliance of the personnel, by closing shops and eliminating maintenance is beyond my comprehension.
I honestly thought they bought this place to operate it to its potential. Now I'm not so sure.

I hear you , all valid points , but this seems to be a little bigger issue than just freight slowing down. It's more like systematic miss management here. I mean come on, the common theme here is hire ,train for a couple weeks, find out your numbers don't work , then try and starve people out till they quit. Really a total waste of everyones time. Corporate and the local terminals are on two totally different pages .

I hear you , all valid points , but this seems to be a little bigger issue than just freight slowing down. It's more like systematic miss management here. I mean come on, the common theme here is hire ,train for a couple weeks, find out your numbers don't work , then try and starve people out till they quit. Really a total waste of everyones time. Corporate and the local terminals are on two totally different pages .
I still have a few management people I talk with occasionally, they don't say much, but there is a difference of opinion up the command chain.

This 💯%… my barn always hire and then starve out! The turnover is amazing at my place! Even senior guys leaving and zero replacements… also see contractors more than ever..

I agree, whoever is responsible for vehicle, property, dock equip., etc. is either being fed a line of :::::shit:::::, or they ought to be ashamed of themselves for such little consideration as to the safety and compliance of the personnel, by closing shops and eliminating maintenance is beyond my comprehension.
I honestly thought they bought this place to operate it to its potential. Now I'm not so sure.
The first sign of a company in trouble is tires. Large terminals that had 100 mounted tires on hand will begin to downsize tire banks.

There is a pyramid that goes on, and the fact is there is really no daily accountability for anybody it .
The RDO only looks at production #s bills in and out and how many hours spent to do it. So every terminal in their region has little to no oversight on the day to say conditions of facilities and equipment. If a manager puts in a request for maintenance, the RDO will either ignore it or push in up above their responsibilities.
This is all a game of cover my ass to keep my job . A whole region can go to ::shit:: if one RDO cooks the numbers. I have seen it before . It usually takes a few quarters and an audit to catch them.
2024 will be an interesting year .

Well , this thread has been very eye opening. I was so hopeful and greatfull when I was able to get this job and others from our barn were struggling to get something, sadly I too will soon be one of those on the outside looking in, I'm afraid.