Central Transport | Tax time question

kat569

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi all, been a while since I've posted, since Jim left Vitran nearly a year ago now (and hasn't missed it one bit, especially after seeing all of the merger problems). He asked me a question tonight and while I think I know the answer, I wanted to pose it here and see what the right answer is (rather than tell him what I think it is and possibly be wrong).

He first asked me what happens to employee records when a company gets bought out. Honestly, after a period of time, I'm pretty sure the new owners would no longer care about the employee records from the previous company; at the time I was thinking he wanted to know if FedEx would still be able to verify his Watkins employment. Well that's not what he wanted to know at all. He actually is wondering where his tax form is going to come from for his employment at Vitran, now that they are part of CT. I would think that, by law, CT would have to maintain the records for a period of time (ten years?? longer??).

His ACTUAL question is "Would my tax form come from CT, or from Vitran Canada?" I don't see how it would come from Canada, since 1) they are in the process of being merged into Manitoulin Transport, and 2) his records were maintained by Vitran USA and his tax forms came from Vitran USA last time. So my assumption is that CT is now charged with the responsibility of sending those out, am I correct? Thanks everybody!

Hi all, been a while since I've posted, since Jim left Vitran nearly a year ago now (and hasn't missed it one bit, especially after seeing all of the merger problems). He asked me a question tonight and while I think I know the answer, I wanted to pose it here and see what the right answer is (rather than tell him what I think it is and possibly be wrong).

He first asked me what happens to employee records when a company gets bought out. Honestly, after a period of time, I'm pretty sure the new owners would no longer care about the employee records from the previous company; at the time I was thinking he wanted to know if FedEx would still be able to verify his Watkins employment. Well that's not what he wanted to know at all. He actually is wondering where his tax form is going to come from for his employment at Vitran, now that they are part of CT. I would think that, by law, CT would have to maintain the records for a period of time (ten years?? longer??).

His ACTUAL question is "Would my tax form come from CT, or from Vitran Canada?" I don't see how it would come from Canada, since 1) they are in the process of being merged into Manitoulin Transport, and 2) his records were maintained by Vitran USA and his tax forms came from Vitran USA last time. So my assumption is that CT is now charged with the responsibility of sending those out, am I correct? Thanks everybody!

Given CT's reputation, I would think that you may find everyone's tax info posted on the web once someone digs the records out of the garbage.

I got three W-2s from Vitran last year.. Prolly get four this year, the fourth being from CT...maybe 5, if I start at OD before years end..

I would save your last check stub from Vitrsn.. If push comes to shove you might get by with that...maybe. Lol

Honestly, I think our W-2s will come from ADP.. They did all our payroll.

Thank you all. We forgot about ADP, honestly. He left Vitran before the merger (thank goodness) so CT doesn't even play into this, hopefully. Otherwise Jeepstr might be the most accurate answer here. LMAO