Yellow | Teams doing Cartage Work at SCA and TCY

ftaf08

TB Lurker
Credits
Why do they use teams to do their left over cartage work in California. My understanding is that teams are supposed to move from breakbulk to breakbulk. SCA and TCY are the only terminals that I have had thiks happen to me with the exception of once at DSM. Accorrding to my work rules as specified in our local supplement anything under 100 miles is supposed to be local work and paid by the hour. NOt only do teams lose money because it takes 2-3 hours to go 60-70 miles in California traffic, but it takes work away from their drivers. What do I need to do about this. I think next time they try it I am going to refuse to go and pull out my black book and show them where cartage work is defined. The sad thing is when I or anyone else gets excited about work rules being violated most people think its funny and tell me to calm down. What good are work rules if we don't hold the company to them.

Ftaf08,
If you were to turn on of SCA's satellites it would be a violation of Local 63's work and they'd file on it and win. It sounds like what is happening is you are going on a VIA on your way home, much like you did at DSM. The bad part is the traffic situation. You are getting the shaft there, but I don't think you can do anything about a VIA. Have you filed on it? I wouldn't recommend refusing it at all. Also, the dispatcher in SCA isn't the one to deal with in this matter....he's just doing what CDO tells him to. The Grievance Committee in CGB is where to take it. At least in the end you'll know what's right and what's wrong. Put it on paper, don't argue with a dispatcher about it....he won't change his mind. Good luck.

ftaf08 said:
Why do they use teams to do their left over cartage work in California. My understanding is that teams are supposed to move from breakbulk to breakbulk. SCA and TCY are the only terminals that I have had thiks happen to me with the exception of once at DSM. Accorrding to my work rules as specified in our local supplement anything under 100 miles is supposed to be local work and paid by the hour. NOt only do teams lose money because it takes 2-3 hours to go 60-70 miles in California traffic, but it takes work away from their drivers. What do I need to do about this. I think next time they try it I am going to refuse to go and pull out my black book and show them where cartage work is defined. The sad thing is when I or anyone else gets excited about work rules being violated most people think its funny and tell me to calm down. What good are work rules if we don't hold the company to them.
Now I don't work for Yellow,Here's what I've always been told "Do it and grieve it"
Document what you were told to do .The only time you wouldn't do as dispatched is when is isn't SAFE .
Hope that helps !

kuk1210 said:
thats hoffa for you dump hoffa and get your respect back
It's got nothing to do with Hoffa. This was going on when Carey's bunch got caught stealing Union money for his re-election. I'm no big fan of Hoffa, but he had nothing to do with this. It was started on Carey's watch.

yo fta.....

you think you're the only one that has ever happened to?????????

look under your nose at what shuttling road drivers do in the chicago metro area......

mikeeeeeeee

ps; when i started in '87 and we had about 20 new york area terminals and railheads, filling up 2 paysheets a night was very common with less than 300 miles and 2 hours of clock time for a 12 hour day.......

Normally when we go out to the west coast we run to SCA, TCY, SEA, DEN, and SLC. Sometimes we run a via to OMA or KRY on the way back. However, this time we hit SCA and got sent to TCY. TCY sent us back to SCA, but on the way back we had to stop at Merced which is 60 miles from TCY to drop one trailer. then we got sent another 70 miles to Fresno. With those two stops it took us 14 hours to get back to SCA. Thats 375 miles. The time before that went home via FON which is about 20 miles from SCA. So I guess I'll talk to one of my stewards and see if I got something. Our shuttle drivers here get paid by the hour to run trailers back and fourth to the GAX or the rail yards.

I guess the only way you can make it pay is to file for your wait time in traffic. That's what we did when we ran to the East Coastr out of STL. Don't give them any breaks if you have to. I'm not sure what your work rules are exactly reguarding this but look them up and hold the CO.to them. A lot of times tjjis is the only way they get the message. When it starts hitting them in the pocket book.

I am a big time Hoffa supporter and it's got nothing to do with him. You've just been drinking too much of that Jersey swamp water,kuk1210.