Yellow | Teamster Election: Why Five More Years For Hoffa?

I didn't vote for Hoffa either.I already knew the outcome of this election.no standouts that could offer up anything better than what has been done already.I don't think anyone in their right mind wanted to enter this arena the way it is.token candidates is what I call them.I didn't see them aggressively politicking.not even half assed trying.

Let's compare convictions and prison time spent by IBT presidents and local officials to those in TDU. The IBT crooks are leading the pack, yet TDU gets the bad rap. (Carey's supposed wrong doing was proven false), that's the only way Jr. was ever elected. By lies and deceit, and oh, yeh, daddy's name. He hasn't done anything for the membership since he got in, now it's too late. The Teamsters are done, at least in the freight industry, but Hoffa don't care about that, he has lots of other sources of dues money and idiots willing to vote "the slate" for him and his cronies to continue their charade. His record speaks for itself. It is about as abismal as his buddy, Obama's. As for the "results" of the recent election, it only shows how bad the voter apathy has become because members have given up. They feel Hoffa don't give a crap about Teamster freight, and they are right, so they figure, "why bother", my vote won't make any difference". They were wrong, of course, but the damage is done. Another 5 years of Hoffa, Jr. and the Teamster Freight division is toast.
And now the "Non smart azz" answer to your post,
First lets make sure all of us understand the nature of the beast that we are talking about, we are talking about the I.B.T.! Like most Things run by Man THE I.B.T US CORRUPT! As corrupt as G.E., G.M., Exxon Mobil, Or even S.C.I.U. So please don't put anything made by or run by man up on a pedistal thinking it can be pure as the driven snow, NOT HAPPENING SUNSHINE!
The Union was corrupt even when Dan Tobin was running the damn show so don't think Hoffa or any of his people have cornered the market on corruption!
It is what it is, Imperfect,Corrupt, Immoral, And any other word you care to call it! So are the People running it today and 10 years from now!
What I look for? What is important to me? A diecent contract, A good retirement, And to get the hell out with my soul and body intact! It's kinda hard to relate to these things working at YRC right now. My hope is things will get better. Could the Union have done things different in reguards to YRC? Maybe. Are the Union Leaders looking out for the Members best intrests? Again maybe.
Nothing is perfect in this life but Christ Gentlemen. I put no faith in anyone else. I know the Union for what it is, I know the Company for what it is. And deal with it as best I can.
TDU, Sandy Pope, Fred Gegare, Jim Hoffa, None of these rank in my "Pure as the driven snow list"
So quit worrying about the splinter in someone elses eye when you have a 2x4 in your own.

First lets make sure all of us understand the nature of the beast that we are talking about, we are talking about the I.B.T.! Like most Things run by Man THE I.B.T US CORRUPT! As corrupt as G.E., G.M., Exxon Mobil, Or even S.C.I.U. So please don't put anything made by or run by man up on a pedistal thinking it can be pure as the driven snow, NOT HAPPENING SUNSHINE!
The Union was corrupt even when Dan Tobin was running the damn show so don't think Hoffa or any of his people have cornered the market on corruption!
It is what it is, Imperfect,Corrupt, Immoral, And any other word you care to call it! So are the People running it today and 10 years from now!
What I look for? What is important to me? A diecent contract, A good retirement, And to get the hell out with my soul and body intact! It's kinda hard to relate to these things working at YRC right now. My hope is things will get better. Could the Union have done things different in reguards to YRC? Maybe. Are the Union Leaders looking out for the Members best intrests? Again maybe.
Nothing is perfect in this life but Christ Gentlemen. I put no faith in anyone else. I know the Union for what it is, I know the Company for what it is. And deal with it as best I can.
TDU, Sandy Pope, Fred Gegare, Jim Hoffa, None of these rank in my "Pure as the driven snow list"
So quit worrying about the splinter in someone elses eye when you have a 2x4 in your own.

Speaking of corruption, I think a local could be more corrupt then sodom and gomorrah and as long as they back jimmy the national will turn its ugly head the other way!

And now the "Non religious" answer to YOUR post, SUNSHINE. Refering to the union, you said " It is what it is, Corrupt, Imperfect,Immoral, and any other word you can call it " So essentially what you are saying is, "We've always had crooks in the union (stealing money from the pension funds, bribery, slush funds, nepotism, fixed elections, to name a few) so why change now?" It seems that every time James P. Hoffa (not to be confused with the "real" Jimmy), gets on a podium or in front of a camera, he sticks his foot in his mouth, (no small feat for a short, fat guy). Instead of coming across as an articulate intelligent leader of our union, he presents himself as a wanna-be tough guy and thug, unwilling and unable to listen to reason or present real solutions to the problems. The "tough guy" image doesn't work anymore. He just makes a fool out of himself and makes the union look bad, too. In order to attract new members, we need a leadership that relects a younger, more intelligent, but strong message that will gain the respect and unity the union once had. The turn-out for the last election shows we have neither now. No replacement for James P. Hoffa (not to be confused with the "real" Jimmy) is expected to be "as pure as the driven snow", but just smarter, younger and more of a leader will do. That would be an improvement over what we have now. NOTE; You mentioned the SCIU in your post. I looked it up, among other things it stands for, SERIOUS CRIMES INVESTIGATION UNIT or SAVE THE CHILDREN IN UGANDA (look it up). I think the first one is most fitting, but maybe you meant something else. LOL One more thing I noticed in your post, You wrote, "I, me or my" 8 times while writing "members" 1 time. I think that says something about where you're at, also the last sentence, says basically "screw the other guy, just worry about yourself". Doesn't sound too biblical to me !!

And now the "Non religious" answer to YOUR post, SUNSHINE. Refering to the union, you said " It is what it is, Corrupt, Imperfect,Immoral, and any other word you can call it " So essentially what you are saying is, "We've always had crooks in the union (stealing money from the pension funds, bribery, slush funds, nepotism, fixed elections, to name a few) so why change now?" It seems that every time James P. Hoffa (not to be confused with the "real" Jimmy), gets on a podium or in front of a camera, he sticks his foot in his mouth, (no small feat for a short, fat guy). Instead of coming across as an articulate intelligent leader of our union, he presents himself as a wanna-be tough guy and thug, unwilling and unable to listen to reason or present real solutions to the problems. The "tough guy" image doesn't work anymore. He just makes a fool out of himself and makes the union look bad, too. In order to attract new members, we need a leadership that relects a younger, more intelligent, but strong message that will gain the respect and unity the union once had. The turn-out for the last election shows we have neither now. No replacement for James P. Hoffa (not to be confused with the "real" Jimmy) is expected to be "as pure as the driven snow", but just smarter, younger and more of a leader will do. That would be an improvement over what we have now. NOTE; You mentioned the SCIU in your post. I looked it up, among other things it stands for, SERIOUS CRIMES INVESTIGATION UNIT or SAVE THE CHILDREN IN UGANDA (look it up). I think the first one is most fitting, but maybe you meant something else. LOL One more thing I noticed in your post, You wrote, "I, me or my" 8 times while writing "members" 1 time. I think that says something about where you're at, also the last sentence, says basically "screw the other guy, just worry about yourself". Doesn't sound too biblical to me !!
I wrote "I" or "me" that many time because I making statements about my opinion or point of view, As for SCIU I was referring to the Union by that name. Just because someone has an opinion dose not mean they are trying to, As you put it, "Screw" someone else. That is quite a leap you are taking there.
As for the rest of your reply I do understand your point of view but there is no way you are anyone else will stand before me with a straight face and tell me that the next leaders of this or any other Union OR corporation will not in some way bend the rules, Cook the books, Or some other B.S. No matter how big or small!
Do I like what has happened in this Union? No. Do I understand Human nature and what happens to it when power is thrown in the mix? yes. Does that make me a fool? it depends on your point of view I guess.
It's your opinion and you are welcome to it.

Thanks for the link.

The article was written by Ken Paff, National Organizer of TDU, and is explaining to the reader how Pope and TDU lost the election, thus the title. He states that Hoffa raised more money and did mailings, phone calls, etc. Because Pope and TDU raised less amounts of campaign money, they couldn't get out the vote. He also states that Pope didn't get as many votes because she ran independently, without a slate.

He goes on to point out that Pope did well in several freight locals, riding the wave of anger from contract concessions. Concessions that allowed the company to survive even though many didn't/don't believe it was necessary.

The last part of the article, where Paff speaks of being a active presence, is interesting. I have been a member of two different locals and at no time has TDU been any kind of positive active presence. This is my biggest problem with TDU. DS.

No doubt whatsoever that Ron Carey was the best and only president since the "real" Hoffa was in charge. If he hadn't of been railroaded out of office by corrupt entities he very well may have brought the "union" back to a lot of its past glory years!
He certainly did a fine job during the freight strike of 94 and a an even better one during the UPS strike.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he own UPS stock at the time but didn't let personal monetary lost get in his way of making the right decision!
Yeah, did a fine job. Priced the union freight industry out of business. My company went out of business 2 days after we went on strike and the others lost business they never got back. The union freight industry never recovered after that strike.:popcorn:

Yeah, did a fine job. Priced the union freight industry out of business. My company went out of business 2 days after we went on strike and the others lost business they never got back. The union freight industry never recovered after that strike.:popcorn:
Not happy when the union caves in to company demands to AVOID a strike and unhappy when a strike IS called to get improvements in pay and/or benefits. Sounds like YOUR company was just looking for an excuse to shut the doors anyhow. They couldn't blame poor management, now could they? They have to blame the failure on SOMEBODY. As for the Teamster organization, we all can see how much THAT has improved since Hoffa,Jr. took over. We have to blame SOMEBODY, so let's blame Carey. Yeh, that's it. Let's blame Carey. Maybe the members will buy THAT !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not happy when the union caves in to company demands to AVOID a strike and unhappy when a strike IS called to get improvements in pay and/or benefits. Sounds like YOUR company was just looking for an excuse to shut the doors anyhow. They couldn't blame poor management, now could they? They have to blame the failure on SOMEBODY. As for the Teamster organization, we all can see how much THAT has improved since Hoffa,Jr. took over. We have to blame SOMEBODY, so let's blame Carey. Yeh, that's it. Let's blame Carey. Maybe the members will buy THAT !!!
Nobody wins in a strike when there is enough non union carriers to pick up the slack. Or when union carriers are a small minority in the freight system. They weren't looking for an excuse to close. Carey gave it to them.When we walked out on strike if they closed it relieved the company from any liability to the pension fund. Hoffa wouldn't have been that stupid.:popcorn:

No, he did a super fine job was what I meant to say! And the strike wasn't over money, it was over the companies wanting to make the dock part-time positions with basicly no benefits as present employees retired. Although they did get a 40 and out for dock.
The companies also got a break for the first year as far as wages with the $750 bonus because it saved them that much on each employee for each of the following years of the contract, more when you factor in o/t and ss payments. Which wasn't great for us but it was something we could live with.
Too bad about your employer but they would have gone out soon anyways. If they had any intention of staying open they could have keep working like Carolina and Preston did because of their hardships. Like Speedball said, it was the perfect excuse to blame the workers to try to cover their own ineptness.
The big 3 recovered very nicely afterwards, Carolina was on its death bed at the time and Preston would have probably been fine if the vulture hadn't of bought them.
Lets not forget Red Star, the onion put them out by calling a strike over a half dozen clerks joining the onion down in Philly to clear the way for the same vulture to by them. Did they ever discover who called it or pay someone to take the fall?
Roadway, nothing needs to be said there.
If the onion had done their job instead of thinking about they might make a killing on dues and fought the buyouts, Roadway or Yellow would be thrieving right now along with most of the USF companies.
Yup, bf jimmy is the cat's meow!!!

Nobody wins in a strike when there is enough non union carriers to pick up the slack. Or when union carriers are a small minority in the freight system. They weren't looking for an excuse to close. Carey gave it to them.When we walked out on strike if they closed it relieved the company from any liability to the pension fund. Hoffa wouldn't have been that stupid.:popcorn:

Hoffa would not do anything that would lose a dime for Hoffa.
Hoffa is behind this shame:http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...y-with-occupy-wall-street-movement-2011-10-05

Last edited by a moderator:
SHAME??? Standing up to banks and corporation that have and are continuing to destroy middle class America ? Their out fighting for your way of life and your to blind to see it. Wake up and quit watching FOX news. :popcorn:

No, they are trying to be the new tea party. But when the "masses" trash the grounds, don't take showers, and are confused with street people, you are not going to win the hearts and minds of the people you are trying to convince.