ABF | Terms, rules, things new guys should know

iam4us

TB Regular
Credits
I don't mean for this to be rude, but at my terminal we have a lot of new guys, mainly from another company who have come in and sort of created their own set of standards of operations. Wondering if long-term ABF drivers, Road, or long understanding people can explain these terms, rules.. mainly applying to Road drivers.

Jumping the clock.
Sacking a Driver
Cherry Picking the Board

I would expect that cherry picking the board is going in and picking yourself a premium run. 'Cherry picking' means taking the easy work and leaving the garbage for others.

Having been through several buyouts with the company I have seen hourly & management personnel try to bring failed methods from the previous employer. There is a reason ABF is the surviving carrier. The other company wasn't making a profit & that is why it was sold. If the other company had been successful it would still be in business & the name would still be on the equipment. Simply put leave the old way where you came from. If you moved from an existing company to ABF then this must be a better job if not you wouldn't move. ABF will have been in business for 100 years in 2023. Again there is a reason ABF has survived while hundreds of carriers have closed the doors.
Seniority prevails in a union job. If you are new learn to pay your dues like the old guys have done. I was always glad to see new men hired & treated them with respect. Give respect & you will get respect. If you don't like the union go to a non union job. I have seen management from a failed company try to drag the company down by the logic "that's the way we did it at _____ (fill in the blanks).
I saw a few management types lose what could have been a good job because they would not conform to ABF policies. ABF is treats management better than most employers & rarely shows them the door.

And jumping the clock occurs when a guy comes in and pre-trips his truck,.....hooks,.....puts in his radio box,.....and in general, is ready to shoot out the gate........BEFORE he even punches in.....

He does this so he can beat all his fellow employees,.......including senior men....into the next dispatch point, in the hopes of getting better loads ..........does as much work as he can without moving the truck ........off the clock........ cutthroat weasel ......

And jumping the clock occurs when a guy comes in and pre-trips his truck,.....hooks,.....puts in his radio box,.....and in general, is ready to shoot out the gate........BEFORE he even punches in.....

He does this so he can beat all his fellow employees,.......including senior men....into the next dispatch point, in the hopes of getting better loads ..........does as much work as he can without moving the truck ........off the clock........ cutthroat weasel ......
I would add, prior to his 2 hr call.

ABF is treats management better than most employers & rarely shows them the door.
I have seen ABF keep their dead driftwood around for years beyond it's usefulness but if it was one of us we'd be canned in a heartbeat with no remorse.

I don't mean for this to be rude, but at my terminal we have a lot of new guys, mainly from another company who have come in and sort of created their own set of standards of operations. Wondering if long-term ABF drivers, Road, or long understanding people can explain these terms, rules.. mainly applying to Road drivers.

Jumping the clock.
Sacking a Driver
Cherry Picking the Board
They just have not screwed the right driver yet. When they do he will explain the rules I'm sure of it.

Rules don't change in Cleveland. No natter where you came from those rules are dead and you now live by the rules that have been in place for decades.

They just have not screwed the right driver yet. When they do he will explain the rules I'm sure of it.

Rules don't change in Cleveland. No natter where you came from those rules are dead and you now live by the rules that have been in place for decades.

Why, thank you Bro. Muler! Our bottom guys came from various Union and non-Union companies.........and lately that's all we hear:....." That's not how we did it at YRC,.....or FredEx,......or Roadway ......."

They want to file grievances to change the way we've dispatched for......25 years that I know of, at least........

I think they're nostalgic for the seniority they gave up, and think they can whine, cry, threaten and grieve their way into superseniority.........

Ain't going to happen.

As you said.......those rules are dead.

I came over from the famous yrc because I like the way things are done at abf. Wish I would have started at abf. I see a lot of senior drivers jumping and running the second the phone rings. I don't understand why someone works a union job and then can't wait to break down working conditions. Makes me wonder.