the contract #8

Credits
Has anyone actually laid eyes on this document and read it front to back??? I'm hearing that the pension was back in AND the retiree benefits were back in. If it was, why didn't the teamsters tell us that? Why didn't they give people a chance to read it and vote on it?

i can tell you what i seen and that was no SENORITY, NO PENSION, increas, and NO TEAMSTER HEALTH CARE it wasnt worth reading in my opinion but if you want to see it for yourself talk to your union rep he should have a copy hopefully he hasnt used it a butt wipe yet

I've seen it too and airhorn4you is right. Ask your rep.....I know in Auburn, they keep it in the main gate tent somewhere.

that is true that last proposal was garbage just the company saying you to their long time employees now its our turn we dont need any take aways were fighting for a living wage job security and healthcare for current and retired employees the vp's are not poor we have made them a ton of money over the years and they need to continue to take care of their employees you can call it a responsibility if you want its time for us to be blessed by not having too worry about inferior health care or retirement

Because WE (Teamsters) had already given a strike authorization sometime in November 2007.

So let me get this straight, you guys (Teamster) signed over your financial future to a organization to do as they please without ever seeing a contract??? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!! Did you guys see how Boeing IAM does it? They vote up or down on the contract AND then vote on the strike. I realize IBT is a great organization but at the end of the day, they do not pay our bills!!! Let me at least see the contract before telling me I need to strike.

Disclaimer: I do NOT work for OHFL!!!

So let me get this straight, you guys (Teamster) signed over your financial future to a organization to do as they please without ever seeing a contract??? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!! Did you guys see how Boeing IAM does it? They vote up or down on the contract AND then vote on the strike. I realize IBT is a great organization but at the end of the day, they do not pay our bills!!! Let me at least see the contract before telling me I need to strike.

Disclaimer: I do NOT work for OHFL!!!

You cannot compare Boeing Machinists to Truck Drivers, and I'll tell you why, there does not exist a union busting outfit that has hundreds of machinists standing by, waiting for a call. The reason the Teamsters call a strike as they do is the element of surprise, if the Teamsters were to hold a vote the company would have more time to prepare and the strike would be less devastating/effective. The contract was another kick in the face they have been defiant and they have been coaxing this action for years. This company will not give their employees their fair share. The Teamsters know what these guys want and they reacted accordingly. Look at previous votes by both major terminals; overwhelmingly against offers that do not include pension increases and Teamster medical.

You cannot compare Boeing Machinists to Truck Drivers, and I'll tell you why, there does not exist a union busting outfit that has hundreds of machinists standing by, waiting for a call. The reason the Teamsters call a strike as they do is the element of surprise, if the Teamsters were to hold a vote the company would have more time to prepare and the strike would be less devastating/effective. The contract was another kick in the face they have been defiant and they have been coaxing this action for years. This company will not give their employees their fair share. The Teamsters know what these guys want and they reacted accordingly. Look at previous votes by both major terminals; overwhelmingly against offers that do not include pension increases and Teamster medical.

Do you mean to say the the purpose of a strike is to get even with Oak Harbor rather than promoting their agreeing with your demands? That doesn't sound as though it would be beneficial to either party.
I can't help but believe that some of you have been misled about what is being offered and what IBT is really after. After all, I have not gotten any useful information from anyone here as to what has been proposed or demanded. You would think that someone would be able to offer specific information if they are willing to strike over it.

Do you mean to say the the purpose of a strike is to get even with Oak Harbor rather than promoting their agreeing with your demands? That doesn't sound as though it would be beneficial to either party.
I can't help but believe that some of you have been misled about what is being offered and what IBT is really after. After all, I have not gotten any useful information from anyone here as to what has been proposed or demanded. You would think that someone would be able to offer specific information if they are willing to strike over it.

ive stated it for you in other posts quit saying the information isn't out there because it is.

I love it when management types try to convince Teamsters that our leadership is misleading us, and we are not capable of deciphering whether we are being offered an inferior collective bargaining agreement. When you feel the greed rod penetrating your most private of areas, it is time to rebel sir. Teamster Elvis out....

... and we are not capable of deciphering whether we are being offered an inferior collective bargaining agreement. .

How are people supposed to decipher an offer if they are not even given a chance to see the said "inferior collective bargaining agreement"? Are teamsters saying they know better than us what we want???

ive stated it for you in other posts quit saying the information isn't out there because it is.

I have seen what OHFL has to offer, what is IBT wanting. I want good paying job with good benefits for ME. Why was it that IBT turned down an offer last time around that put more money in my pocket and took the one that put more money in their pocket? The Oath all officers of IBT take states that "...devote the resources of our Union to furthering their (members) needs and goals, work to maintain a Union that is free of corruption, to preserve and strengthen democratic principles of our Union..." Maybe some of them needs to read through the IBT Constitution and Bylaws again...

Just asking. Do you vote in elections (state ,county, federal) ?
Majority rules in a democracy. Perhaps you are a person that violates laws because you don't agree. I don't know. If you choose and are lucky enough to be in a union shop you know up front what your duties to your fellow workers are. Since you are not an OAK employee I would suggest any number of ways for you to learn about honor loyalty brotherhood dignity etc. Please go to the library
and read what unions have done for you . This forum is for and about Oak Harbor issues. Maybe another forum would be better for
you.

If I recall concerned employee, livlly909 is a OHFL striker but has found other employment while out on strike so this is the correct forum for them.

yes some people have different opinions for sure but knew it
was a union shop when hired and knew their duties and responsibilities to their brothers and sisters. Sorry you are unhappy perhaps a non-union company would be better for you. Please move along the brave commited people sacrificing don't need your whining they have their own issues .Trying to undermine their strength isn't helping you or them. Try negotiating working condition ,wages, or even
telling your opinion at Express or Conway .They will tell you
Bye Bye

this last proposal was as crappy as the others before, in some cases worse than the first one they offered. Example, you can keep ur pension were just not going to pay into it anymore.

even if you are dues paying only you will no longer receive union protection once the strike is over, you get absolutely no support from them what so ever if you cross. also you have all of the people you work with who didnt cross pissed off at you. like the due paying only line driver in portland.

now im not 100% sure about this but maybe you could lose your pension if you resign from the union? if someone could clarify it would be nice. but that would be a big reason if it were true.

i believe the main reasons were the retirees current and future would have to pay almost double what they are now to keep their health plan per month. they also wanted to contribute less to the pension.

on the dock they wanted to remove seniority and set shifts. they would be able to work you only 35 hours per week and would not be required to give you benefits because you are not working the required 40 per week here in oregon to receive them.

also they wanted to change the hours required for casual workers to get on the board from 1000 hours in 6months to 1300 hours in 6months. This means instead of working 43 hours weeks for 6months you would need to work 55hour weeks for 6months and we all know that would never happen.

edit: also they wanted to make it to where you have to buy your sick days because not enough employees use their sick days. heres the company site outlining these but remember its ran by the company so they make it sound great hxxp://ww.oakhanswers.com/rep/index.html replace the x's with t's and add a w. i cant find the proposals at the site anymore so i guess they took them down so people cant view them anymore.

None of this is really definitive. I would have like to see something directy from the proposal from OHFL and the demands from IBT. I would also think that if nobody can answer authoritatively, you would not have enough information to make an informed decision to strike.

how hard is it to understand that people don't want to lose seniority on the dock and don't want the companies health care plan. all you have to understand is that going backwards in contracts is never going to be allowed.

Drive up to the Auburn tent, it is in there. We approve a strike vote and then leave it up to Teamster leadership that we elect, to make a decision based on what they know we expect. For the Teamsters to call a strike recklessly would serve nobody's purpose, the local's strike funds are getting tapped hard by this and the Intl. is also shelling out strike pay as well. We cannot agree to a substandard Teamster contract in freight, or we will drag our standards down industry wide, a company that is cash heavy like Oak Harbor should not expect concessions. It's called union busting, and I hope the Labor Boards sees it for what it is.