The Dying Art of Driving a Stick Shift

At this point, there are only two pickup trucks available with a manual transmission: the 2021 Toyota Tacoma and the 2021 Jeep Gladiator.

This is from 2021, might not be any by now.
You can still get these 2 models with a manual in 2022, if you ordered one or signed up to get one. I have been hunting a manual tacoma for a while and everyone of them I can find are sold prior to even showing up on the lot. Test drove a used 2020 Trd Off-road with 5000 miles on it last year. They wanted $46,000 for it, $8-9k over asking price and they were non negotiable. I said no thanks. Dodge was thr last to offer a manual in a 3/4 ton, available with the cummins. 2018 was the last year for the manual in that.

I would guess EPA regulations and fuel mileage requirements are pushing the move as much if not more than anything else, certainly seems to be the case in commercial vehicles.
This is exactly the reason, the vehicles are more fuel efficient. Even way back in 2005, I was shopping for a Honda Civic. I wanted a manual transmission and when I looked at the sticker on 2 identical cars except the transmission, the automatic was 1 mpg better.

There is one with a manual shipped, and no radar anything. A Cadillac CT5 Blackwing model. 6 speed manual as a option. Its a 200 mph car with supercharger and everything else, but a minimum of computer crap. With Manual its only 110,000 dollars give or take.

I would have bought that with both hands.

HOWEVER.

I hold on to my rusted out Chevy Tahoe from the 90's with both hands. Shes committed to the shop to get new Injectors put in to replaced the failed stock ones that were bad anyway. I am considering a replacement of the interior items as a cosmetic thing combined with a replacement and installation of a standard 4 speaker radio etc. Nothing fancy.

Its value lies in a mountain of parts at the shop with a phone call its there in 10 minutes and mechanics who also drive these things themselves because its easy to work on relatively speaking.

I took the back seat out so I can haul items for its keep in gas and also use it as a pinch hit sleeper if required. There are a number of things that need doing to it. Blue Book value has no meaning now. Ive turned down a 5000.00 cash offer already.

I would guess EPA regulations and fuel mileage requirements are pushing the move as much if not more than anything else, certainly seems to be the case in commercial vehicles.
Along with someone 30 or younger trying to be taught to shift even a 10 speed. I let them talk me into training some new hires about 10 years ago. After 2 weeks I said, I’m outta here.

There is one with a manual shipped, and no radar anything. A Cadillac CT5 Blackwing model. 6 speed manual as a option. Its a 200 mph car with supercharger and everything else, but a minimum of computer crap. With Manual its only 110,000 dollars give or take.

HOWEVER.

I hold on to my rusted out Chevy Tahoe from the 90's with both hands. Shes committed to the shop to get new Injectors put in to replaced the failed stock ones that were bad anyway. I am considering a replacement of the interior items as a cosmetic thing combined with a replacement and installation of a standard 4 speaker radio etc. Nothing fancy.

Its value lies in a mountain of parts at the shop with a phone call its there in 10 minutes and mechanics who also drive these things themselves because its easy to work on relatively speaking.

I took the back seat out so I can haul items for its keep in gas and also use it as a pinch hit sleeper if required. There are a number of things that need doing to it. Blue Book value has no meaning now. Ive turned down a 5000.00 cash offer already.
I run a 96 ram or should I call it a 96 Rockauto , during my last vacation week I pulled the engine for a timing chain , freeze plugs and gaskets now this old truck has no leaks

I run a 96 ram or should I call it a 96 Rockauto , during my last vacation week I pulled the engine for a timing chain , freeze plugs and gaskets now this old truck has no leaks
I had a little Dodge quad. It got totaled in the parking lot of our post office of all damn places.

Dumbkoft hit it in the tail light ruined the frame just ahead of that right drive wheel. Shop and Insurance on their end offered me a replacement frame and back to 100% in a few months locally.

I sold them the whole thing for salvage at more than what we paid for it sticker. What we should have NEVER done was that. It had a hemi 5.9 on a hurst 5 in it. Big rubber on the back for hauling wood until you could not fit anymore back there.

If you wanted to you could chirp the back tires at double nickel loaded. I am NOT kidding or lunch counter with that thing. Just drop her into third and redline it. CHIRP!

Thats one of my few regrets in this life, selling that damn thing. Frame was only 4000 dollars and everything else taken care of. Shoulds woulda coulda. Sheesh.

Dumbkoft had a shiney new F250 with the big Texas by god bumper on the back. Not a scratch. Sheesh. I hope he choked on it.

Some days I hate my beast. Rip that pos engine out of her, drop a hot little 383 blown stoker into her and make all four wheels and tires CHIRP. Then I would be happy Yah? She wont do it. Axles would tear right out of her.

Not only manual shifting, but the rear view cameras, self-parking, and so many other "advancements" are totally dumbing down drivers' abilities anymore. It's just going to produce more drivers who lack essential driving skills IMHO.
I agree. To get a drivers license is almost automatic these days.
My solution is a fleet of 1965 Dodge Darts', 3 on the tree, no power brakes or steering, AM radio, 225 slant six. Drive it for 30 days, bring it back with no dents, you get a license.

I agree. To get a drivers license is almost automatic these days.
My solution is a fleet of 1965 Dodge Darts', 3 on the tree, no power brakes or steering, AM radio, 225 slant six. Drive it for 30 days, bring it back with no dents, you get a license.
AND parking them things inside the compact only spaces mandated about 1972.

We were shoehorning big 30 foot cars into them replacing power steering pumps constantly. Thats the one item that constantly went out in those days.

HOWEVER.

A relative in the Dallas area called me this week, said her newly widowed friend is buying a new car. The salesman told her her 20 yr. old, well maintained Tahoe has no value but he would "take if off her hands with no charge for disposal. I told her I would buy it. A Tahoe like that will bring 10K here. She told her friend & she now has hope for selling it instead of giving it away.
The salesman no doubt will sell it to a wholesaler & pocket the cash.
The widow made a mistake of telling the salesman her husband had recently passed away.
There is little wonder car dealers have a bad reputation.
I am sure I can beat fuel mileage of an automatic with a manual transmission.

Yes Cars with grandma attached to them are very sought after by dealers.

I recall a little Ford Tarus class car with only 3K miles on it strictly grocery store and back hitting the ADESA Block in Little Rock one day. The bidding went crazy in the barn. It was on the far end where the Crain cars were sold (Cars considered bottom of the area's Used car market and why they are being dumped there) the richer dealers and those too stuck up to be bothered ran over there to bid.

The car was perfect. nothing wrong with it exceot 4000 miles on the whole thing. two miles at a time. You can be sure the cost of the sale was passed on to a buyer thinking he or she is so lucky to have that find on wherever dealer lot that got it.

Most of the time with a car I do better than a automatic because autos were generally a parasite weight and drag on the engine back then. In big rigs? Erm I dont know. I never really careed about miles per gallon, but rather as long the company had 500 gallons every day ready to go for tractor and trailer reefer im happy at any price.

I remember a merchedes two door custom that was imported from Germany and they gave me that one briefly to move from here to there. I found a corner of the lot couple of acres or so and let her rip. Discovered the car was extremely well built with the finest traction and handling feel you could ever want. If it was a woman it would have been a angel.

That one sold for a obscene about of money on the block. Its probably preserved in someones living room right now.