FedEx Freight | The Future

The future of Fedex Freight. I can make a guess, not a fact. Just an opinion. I can see every driver become a contract driver. I can see the individuals who own FedEx Ground routes buy up FedEx Freight routes. FedEx Corporation lost money last year. Why not sell something off that made you money last year. I can see them selling routes to the highest bidder. Remember, this is just my opinion.
FedEx Corporation did not lose money last year. Net income was almost 4 billion dollars. Put that in your crystal ball and smoke it instead of whatever you’re doing now.

The future of Fedex Freight. I can make a guess, not a fact. Just an opinion. I can see every driver become a contract driver. I can see the individuals who own FedEx Ground routes buy up FedEx Freight routes. FedEx Corporation lost money last year. Why not sell something off that made you money last year. I can see them selling routes to the highest bidder. Remember, this is just my opinion.
i agree but why would they get rid of the cash cow? I think we do get sold but not until the express/ground mess is cleaned up and who knows how long that will take. just my opinion

I don’t think we will ever be sold. We are the largest LTL by a big margin and are extremely profitable. It would be STUPID to sell. With all of the cost-cutting going on I just hope our pay and benefits aren’t what is going to finance some of these “savings”, especially with the pilots getting a 30% bump in pay.

I respect your opinion.. but mine is that FedEx freight will never be contractor.. it will be sold off to another company before any of that ever happens. There is no LTL contractor model and FedEx definitely will not try to make us the first.. they will lose even more employees, possible union would spike, and they have too much equipment (tractors) and forklifts. How do you think drivers would take being contractors while dockworkers stay company? It will not happen.. trust me

I respect your opinion.. but mine is that FedEx freight will never be contractor.. it will be sold off to another company before any of that ever happens. There is no LTL contractor model and FedEx definitely will not try to make us the first.. they will lose even more employees, possible union would spike, and they have too much equipment (tractors) and forklifts. How do you think drivers would take being contractors while dockworkers stay company? It will not happen.. trust me
Could see city going to a contractor model.. just say n I remember it was said no other LTL carrier offers 2 service products......

I believe that the long haul operation of freight will be a contractor only operation. There may be some isolated freight lanes that will be filled by us road drivers, but overall the road drivers who survive these deep cuts will be shuttle only. IMO the gravy is over.

I believe that the long haul operation of freight will be a contractor only operation. There may be some isolated freight lanes that will be filled by us road drivers, but overall the road drivers who survive these deep cuts will be shuttle only. IMO the gravy is over.
I think you guys don’t realize the importance of hazmat. You can’t run an operation and keep watching where the hazmat gets loaded. You’re not going to just dedicate trailer B for that 1 shipment of 100 lbs hazmat just because it can’t go into trailer A because Jose is coming to haul it in his freightliner Coronado.. it just won’t happen. And forget it if you think Ground contractors are all qualified to get hazmat endorsement :lmao:

Let FedEx make an announcement that it’s not hauling hazmat anymore then I’ll back you up

I think you guys don’t realize the importance of hazmat. You can’t run an operation and keep watching where the hazmat gets loaded. You’re not going to just dedicate trailer B for that 1 shipment of 100 lbs hazmat just because it can’t go into trailer A because Jose is coming to haul it in his freightliner Coronado.. it just won’t happen. And forget it if you think Ground contractors are all qualified to get hazmat endorsement :lmao:

Let FedEx make an announcement that it’s not hauling hazmat anymore then I’ll back you up
Yeah for the most part this makes sense. The rail hauls hazmat and I work at a hub that separates all hazmat as to make sure 15 purchase vans a day are hazmat free. I just don’t believe our current linehaul operation is feasible in the future. I believe priority service will be mostly eliminated. And the bill of our freight will be classed as economy or whatever the new service name will be. And far fewer of us road will be needed. Mainly road drivers will run to a large near a rail yard. After freight has moved across country by rail or contractor or purchase. That alone will eliminate 25% of road jobs. I hope I’m wrong. But things are going to change drastically.

Yeah for the most part this makes sense. The rail hauls hazmat and I work at a hub that separates all hazmat as to make sure 15 purchase vans a day are hazmat free. I just don’t believe our current linehaul operation is feasible in the future. I believe priority service will be mostly eliminated. And the bill of our freight will be classed as economy or whatever the new service name will be. And far fewer of us road will be needed. Mainly road drivers will run to a large near a rail yard. After freight has moved across country by rail or contractor or purchase. That alone will eliminate 25% of road jobs. I hope I’m wrong. But things are going to change drastically.
Now that you say that I’ve started to notice more and more and more rails lately. Our rails are starting to make it to our section of pups.. I also hope you’re wrong

What I see happening is whatever they want to happen. People fought for their right to do as they please or did absolutely nothing and sat on the sidelines when we had a chance to have a voice and that’s just the way it will be. Just being honest.
No, your opinion dose not constitute honesty.

In case y'all missed it, a couple interesting things:

MEMPHIS, Tenn., June 20, 2023... FedEx Corporation announced today that Michael C. Lenz will retire as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer effective July 31, 2023.

And this from Lance Moll:
Team,
Please join me in congratulating Jeff Greer, Senior Vice President of Human Resources (HR) at FedEx Freight, on an outstanding career of more than 24 years. On June 30, he will be leaving FedEx.

Now what might they know, that we don't yet know?

MEMPHIS, Tenn., June 20, 2023... FedEx Corporation announced today that Michael C. Lenz will retire as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer effective July 31, 2023.

Team,
Please join me in congratulating Jeff Greer, Senior Vice President of Human Resources (HR) at FedEx Freight, on an outstanding career of more than 24 years. On June 30, he will be leaving FedEx.

They definitely have a master plan that we’re not privy to yet. It’s all part of this One FedEx they keep talking about.

Oh, and Lance goes on to explain how they'll cover (backfill?) the Greer departure.

"With Jeff’s departure, Rodney Myers, Vice President HR will report directly to me. Darren Plumlee, Vice President Safety, will report to Clint McCoy, SVP Operations Support & Engineering, effective July 1. We are also aligning our Fleet Maintenance team under Darren Plumlee as part of these changes. Joe Oleson and Rob Sessler will report to Darren, and we are excited about the collaboration opportunities between the Safety and Fleet Maintenance teams."

Also, there is a John Smith video that explains the changes from the past year, and LOTS more change (believed to be best for the Company) coming in FY24.

Talks about how all of these changes SHOULD remain invisible to the customer. Despite our personal opp-co loyalties, we need to all unite behind PURPLE 🟣. One FedEx.

Thanks to our current communications department, almost no one will get these messages.

Last edited:
Rail is how you keep double digit margins... So VP of HR is now under LM who reports to John Smith who is over Ground. But we are being kept separate. Really...

Team,

Yeah! I believe when top mgrs exit it’s because they do not want their names attached to this impending BS.