FedEx Freight | The handheld devices for road drivers

FIRE IN THE WIRE

TB Lurker
Credits
I was just wondering if we have any road drivers in the system using these new handheld devices? If so, are you still filling out your logbook daily just for time being also?

Yes I use the handheld device, and you will have to fill out the top grid for another year or better. I don't have to fill out the task part but I do so I can double check even though I e-mail my weekly report to myself.

It works ... most of the time ...

We are having our instructional meetings for them this week in KCY. So far I'm really looking forward to doing more on top of all the paperwork we already have to do! :D

roog

It's really not more work. In most cases it's actually less. You use the top half of your log and the handheld takes care of the rest. You can review your trip at the end of your day and make sure all your task pay items are entered and which are approved and which are pending. The email function is probably the coolest function for your own record keeping. It's pretty slick. .. when it works.

For drivers that are using the Kiosk, it's just an improved version of that. But you do it from your cab instead of making an extra trip into the office after you hook. Dispatch will put your trailer #'s in and you confirm them, then enter your dolly, hook and whatever else you did, then hit 'dispatch'. But don't hit 'dispatch' till your ready to roll 'cause that starts the clock.

Still log the graph but tasks are entered into the hand held. Like FDV said, you supply the office with a Email address that gets entered in the system and you can Email yourself a copy of trip miles, drops/hooks, delays, fuels etc. from the hand held either daily or weekly. Your choice on that. You don't have to send yourself that Email, but if there's a payroll problem, it's your proof.

I like the idea that you get an e-mail for your records, and you don't have to checkout on the computer. You can do that in your tractor. If a payment is pending, how are you notified that it has been approved?

That's a good question TP that I can't answer. I just went thru the orientation film and test. (yes there is a 25 question test you have to pass, you can only miss 2)
I've not yet used one, I'm going on what I learned in the introduction video. But some in my area have been using them for several weeks. Maybe they can answer that.

Another thing I learned is they've been installing an invisible fence called a 'Geo-fence' at all the meet and turn points.
The hand held will scan you in and out there, whether it's a truck stop or just a gravel lot that you do your meet in.
Fedex pays the property owners a fee to do this.
All this information will be available to the customer so they can real time track shipments anytime.

The hand held is connected 3 ways; GPS, Cellular and WiFi. So it's hooked up big time.
It even communicates with the equipment just like the gate scanners do, so if you hook to the wrong trailer, it tells you.
You have to confirm eqipment #'s and seal #'s or you can't dispatch yourself.
It's all in the orientation.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, if you miss three or more on the test you don't have to use it? :-)

lol, no you don't have to use it then, cause your next job probably don't have 'em.

Some linehaul guys I talked to that are using them tell me it seems at first like it's real hard to learn, but it's really not that bad.
They say it's actually it's pretty cool and quick once you get the hang of it.

They don't need anything from property owners for the geo fence. A geo fence is just a preset group of geographic parameters that are set up. When you enter that area it will trigger a message that will arrive and depart you, your equipment and freight in the computer. Knowing Fedex, they'll have you duplicate the message for a while until the bugs are worked out.

Guardrail

I don't know what they do or don't need from the property owners as far as the geo fence goes.
But we were told in the orientation that Fedex does pay property owners for use for meets and that a crew had been going from one meet point to another setting it up the geo fences.
Maybe gathering coordinates? Or installing some kind of boundary equipment? I don't know, that's above me.

But yea the money they pay probably is just for the right to use the lot for swaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's another good question. If it monitors your speed will they give you some slack. California speed limit for trucks is 55. I'm sure glad I'm retired, and don't have to deal with Big Brother.

its so easy if u have smart phone this is nothing but easy when it works and connects to your equipment .dont worry cause if u want paid for your labor u got to lol

They dont have to go to a site to do the geofence thing,if that were true they would have to visit every customer we deliver to.

Well they sent people to all the meet sites for some reason. I don't know why, (and don't really care), that's just what the guy that gave us the orientation told us. Maybe they're putting in cameras to catch somebody takin a whizz on the dolly for all I know.

Ground has had the "geo fence" or something like it for yrs. It will tell on you if you get from point "A" to "B" faster than you are supposed to. If you go past a Ground terminal or yard and see trucks sitting outside, it's because they can't arrive yet. It will be a problem for guys in the 55 mph states. Ground did give company "speeding" tickets for it. 3 of those and you're gone.

Phantom 309 said:
Well they sent people to all the meet sites for some reason. I don't know why, (and don't really care), that's just what the guy that gave us the orientation told us. Maybe they're putting in cameras to catch somebody takin a whizz on the dolly for all I know.

Maybe they wanted to set eyes on the meet sites to see what they are paying for,and make sure they are adequate. Isnt that what dollies are for ?

Ground has had the "geo fence" or something like it for yrs. It will tell on you if you get from point "A" to "B" faster than you are supposed to. If you go past a Ground terminal or yard and see trucks sitting outside, it's because they can't arrive yet. It will be a problem for guys in the 55 mph states. Ground did give company "speeding" tickets for it. 3 of those and you're gone.

Hmmmm.....you mean the drivers in California are going to have to actually drive 55??? Yep. The city drivers already get tattled on by the handheld. Guess we're all gonna have to slow down to the speedlimit.

I like the idea that you get an e-mail for your records, and you don't have to checkout on the computer. You can do that in your tractor. If a payment is pending, how are you notified that it has been approved?

Just like the KIOSK. If an item or delay has been denied you will be notified by a message from CLC in your inbox.