Yellow | The law or not.

Lightning Rod

TB Lurker
Credits
When is it legal for a LTL driver to transport shipments without bills, bill of ladings, movement copies. No paper work in their possession, except for a blank manifest with the trailer number.

If a driver refuses such a assignment can it be considered a voluntary resignation.

There is some more to tell, But for now I just want some good accurate information from anyone thats been or knows of someone whos been in the same or similar situations.

When is it legal for a LTL driver to transport shipments without bills, bill of ladings, movement copies. No paper work in their possession, except for a blank manifest with the trailer number.

If a driver refuses such a assignment can it be considered a voluntary resignation.

There is some more to tell, But for now I just want some good accurate information from anyone thats been or knows of someone whos been in the same or similar situations.
It's all about doing what you are told to do.

It does not say the Bill must be in the possesion of the driver. HOWEVER, if the trailer contains Haz Mat, you'd better have all required paperwork. The very least I like to travel with, when I have a loaded trailer, is the date, trlr num, destin and words indicating No Haz Mat, written by dispatch. If you p/up a trlr at the rail yard, ask if it has Haz Mat before moving it. The bills will be in the back, however you might not get the door reclosed.

373.101 Motor Carrier bills of lading.

Every motor common carrier shall issue a receipt or bill of lading for property tendered for transportation in interstate or foreign commerce containing the following information:

(a) Names of consignor and consignee.

(b) Origin and destination points.

(c) Number of packages.

(d) Description of freight.

(e) Weight, volume, or measurement of freight (if applicable to the rating of the freight).

The carrier shall keep a record of this information as prescribed in 49 CFR part 379.

Simple ...... Never.
You answer to the government agency that does a road check. If theres something in the trailer, you have to produce something addressing the shipments origin, destination, weight, description even if its vague. If theres hazmat, you need a fully described travel copy, DR or BOL.
It's your responsibility when you take the unit out onto the public roadway.
You can question your sup about the legality of it without outright refusing to pull it. Ask for clarification from a superior in the main office and offer to call for him in his presense.

It's called "freight ahead", only if you have HAZMAT do you need the paperwork in your possession. We've had this argument numerous times at LCP

FMSCA has no mention of "Freight Ahead".
vwaggs has is correct and I stand by my statement. You can try telling the nice ICC or State Police Officer that your company told you it was "Freight Ahead".
Let me know how that turns out for you. The first question asked when being safety checked is registration and license. Number two is paperwork for anything in the trailer. You better have something even if it's a vague travel copy from your company for non-hazmat, full descriptions for hazmat.

pa-juggalo, you also can drive without your DL,Med Card, No Log book. drink beer and drive naked. Also tell that DOT guy to Kiss Your A$$ if he wants look in your trailer.

If a driver hauls a load without paper work it is his butt not his supervisors.

Freight ahead WTF

vwaggs has is correct and I stand by my statement. You can try telling the nice ICC or State Police Officer that your company told you it was "Freight Ahead".
Let me know how that turns out for you. The first question asked when being safety checked is registration and license. Number two is paperwork for anything in the trailer. You better have something even if it's a vague travel copy from your company for non-hazmat, full descriptions for hazmat.

I agree completely but, I'm just telling you what we were told. Supposidly you manifest is good enough. Now if you go back and read the rule it says motor carrier not driver. The problem we had at LCP was, if a guy picked a trailer up somewhere, 90% of the time no one knew where the bills were at, sometimes they were in the trailer and most times already back at the terminal, and ofcourse that would delay freight until someone could figure it out. I personally prefer to leave them in the back, or sometimes in the little pouch by the airlines, just incase, say maybe somethings leaking even if it's not hazmat, it's still nice to get a idea what it is, because eventually someone will want to know,

pa-juggalo, you also can drive without your DL,Med Card, No Log book. drink beer and drive naked. Also tell that DOT guy to Kiss Your A$$ if he wants look in your trailer.

If a driver hauls a load without paper work it is his butt not his supervisors.

Freight ahead WTF

Yea, and the big a$$ fine to go with it. What we were told is your manifest is your paperwork, I didn't say I agree I'm just saying what we were told. I personally think the papers should be with the freight. Have you ever say picked up a split shipment, and the other driver has the bill, or what about say a misdelivered skid, that you have no paperwork for?

The FMSCA requires that the motor carrier provide a receipt or bill of lading to the shipper describing the material tendered for shipment and also to keep a copy of said receipt. It doesn't say that these receipts/bills must travel with the freight. Just think about UPS (Parcel) for instance. There are no freight bills traveling with the freight (actually parcels) in any UPS trailers.

The FMSCA requires that the motor carrier provide a receipt or bill of lading to the shipper describing the material tendered for shipment and also to keep a copy of said receipt. It doesn't say that these receipts/bills must travel with the freight. Just think about UPS (Parcel) for instance. There are no freight bills traveling with the freight (actually parcels) in any UPS trailers.

Motor carriers dont give shippers BOL'S, it's the other way around.
UPS is a parcel company that doesn't allow HazMat and the borderline items they do allow are limited quantities. Big difference between parcel transportation and freight. Ever see a placard on a parcel trailer?

Motor carriers dont give shippers BOL'S, it's the other way around.

You couldn't be more wrong. Do a little research and look up any legal definition of bill-of-lading like the one below.

bill of lading n. a receipt obtained by the shipper of goods from the carrier (trucking company, railroad, ship or air freighter) for shipment to a particular buyer. It is a contract protecting the shipper by guaranteeing payment and satisfies the carrier that the recipient has proof of the right to the goods.

UPS is a parcel company that doesn't allow HazMat and the borderline items they do allow are limited quantities. Big difference between parcel transportation and freight. Ever see a placard on a parcel trailer?

What does that have to do with my statement about freight bills not traveling with the freight and using UPS as an example???

I asked a North Carolina DOT officer this question and explained to him sometimes city drivers take bills with them and leave trailers for us road drivers to pick up. His reply was it's OK if no HAZMAT on trailer. Take this for whatever you think. I have been hauling trailers without bills for sometime. May get busted tonite

hey triplex.

13 or 15?

one of the sweetest trucks i ever drove was a '65 r-600 with a v8 and a 15 speeder.

another was a '59 b-75 with a 205 horse turbo, airbag tag axle, and a 13 speed triplex.

Trannys ?

Hey PDU 1, Think about this---TRI-Meaning three---Plex-Meaning five.How do you multiply three times five and come up with thirteen?
DUPLEX=5 speed main and 2 speed aux
Triplex= 5 speed main and 3 speed aux
Quadraplex=5 speed main and 4 speed aux
4X4=4 speed main and 4 speed aux (can be air shift aux)
RTO 9513=Roadranger,twin countershaft,overdrive,13 speed
RTO 12513=Same as above except heavy duty

I have shifted all of these and more,have driven B-61s,B-75s,R-600,R-700s ,F models,Petes,KWs,Brockways,A-cars,Freightshakers and Hendriksons.:hysterical:

Been around a while too.

ps;first diesel I ever drove was an Emeryville with a 220 cummins and a10 spd.and it was new.:nutkick:

race cat.

13 speed triplexes were mostly used with single axles because mack used double reduction rear ends.

13's were double overdrive.

you shifted from 4th high split to 5th high split without ever going into 5th low or direct.

the last dco 405 was built in 1966 in '67 they came out with the co 4000.

that means you're older than dirt.

i drove an aluminium framed and cabbed emeryville with a 250 and eaton 3 speed rear for a while (my right leg still winces thinking about how hot the dog house got).

as far as macks go, i've driven a few of them as well, the biggest being a b855 and the smallest being a b422.

I asked a North Carolina DOT officer this question and explained to him sometimes city drivers take bills with them and leave trailers for us road drivers to pick up. His reply was it's OK if no HAZMAT on trailer. Take this for whatever you think. I have been hauling trailers without bills for sometime. May get busted tonite

Thank you.

Not a single Roadway linehaul moves with any bills anywhere nationwide, except HazMat, which has a waybill printed on plain white paper. All waybills are in the sealed trailer.

I was stopped @ the Michigan scales in Erie (Monroe,MI.) with only a manifest & no bills. The officer who stopped me @ the scales said, as long as the manifest shows - The identifying numbers to the freight (Pro Number), amount of freight, weight of freight, where the freight was picked up, destination of freight (my freight was RFO-DET, even though some freight was going to WSR, I was taking the freight to DET), & there was "NO HAZMAT" the manifest was sufficient. So a "Blank manifest is not legal" a manifest with description as noted above is legal, Per Michigan State Police.