ABF | The Other Shoe

ABF381

TB Veteran
Super Moderator
Credits
While we wait for details about our contract I wonder what unpopular move ABF will do after ratification.....if I remember correctly after ratifying different contracts they closed a few terminals, gave us uniforms to wear, and tried installing driver facing cameras....wonder what will happen this time?

I still remember the 2013 contract like it was yesterday. Our local was an over-whelming “NO” vote to the Master and our Supplement. April of 2014, R. Slagle and company retaliated for our actions and held a meeting at the North Little Rock terminal to announce that they were shutting it down and moving it all to Memphis by the end of 2015 leaving only a small, city operation in North Little Rock.
Slagle was under the assumption that the employees would follow the work to Memphis but boy was he ever wrong. In less than six months, UPS Freight hired several of our guys, FedEx hired a few, and several others left for other driving jobs. By the summer of 2014, we were so short handed that they were begging people to work overtime as well as their days off (6th/7th day punch). They even allowed the shop and clerical employees to work the dock on their days off (6th/7th day punch) for a while. After a few stressful years of worry, a funding deal from the city of Memphis falling through, a big grievance decision won by our BA about CDL qualifying all full-time local Cartage employees (dock or city), and our Local President getting the governor of Arkansas at the time to step in and threaten to pull funding that was allocated for ABF Fort Smith’s revamping of head quarters, the move to Memphis was squashed. Slagle was removed and replaced, the Regional VP from Memphis retired, and the estimated four hundred jobs that were slated to be moved to Memphis remained in North Little Rock Arkansas. Local #878 KICKS ASS!!!

Last edited:
I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy guy, but part of me wonders if all the drama at Yellow is just a plan to make us afraid that we are next if we don't accept this contract.....now I do know that Yellow has serious problems, and I believe that they are in trouble, but it sure did get ratcheted up about the time we are ready to vote.....I still remember 2013.....

I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy guy, but part of me wonders if all the drama at Yellow is just a plan to make us afraid that we are next if we don't accept this contract.....now I do know that Yellow has serious problems, and I believe that they are in trouble, but it sure did get ratcheted up about the time we are ready to vote.....I still remember 2013.....
I do believe the stresses on yellow have also ratcheted up.
Interest rates are a much more serious problem now.
And lenders want a substantial plan.
That being said: ABF wasn’t Yellow in 2013 and certainly not in 2023.
I just wish more ABF employees paid attention to the financial truths here!
I’m still pissed!

I do believe the stresses on yellow have also ratcheted up.
Interest rates are a much more serious problem now.
And lenders want a substantial plan.
That being said: ABF wasn’t Yellow in 2013 and certainly not in 2023.
I just wish more ABF employees paid attention to the financial truths here!
I’m still pissed!
I agree, what I'm saying is it possibly a scare tactic? Wouldn't be the first time they colluded...

Ca
Can you imagine being a lender to yellow right now?
3% interest to a company that can’t turn a profit versus 5% to a 3 month T-bill?

While we wait for details about our contract I wonder what unpopular move ABF will do after ratification.....if I remember correctly after ratifying different contracts they closed a few terminals, gave us uniforms to wear, and tried installing driver facing cameras....wonder what will happen this time?
I heard Chicago is having a contract meeting Friday and Saturday. Hope to know something soon

Yellow is on it's own. They simply cannot compete. It's not like two buddies coming up with as scheme.

I think it creates terms Yellow can't compete with.

I still remember the 2013 contract like it was yesterday. Our local was an over-whelming “NO” vote to the Master and our Supplement. April of 2014, R. Slagle and company retaliated for our actions and held a meeting at the North Little Rock terminal to announce that they were shutting it down and moving it all to Memphis by the end of 2015 leaving only a small, city operation in North Little Rock.
Slagle was under the assumption that the employees would follow the work to Memphis but boy was he ever wrong. In less than six months, UPS Freight hired several of our guys, FedEx hired a few, and several others left for other driving jobs. By the summer of 2014, we were so short handed that they were begging people to work overtime as well as their days off (6th/7th day punch). They even allowed the shop and clerical employees to work the dock on their days off (6th/7th day punch) for a while. After a few stressful years of worry, a funding deal from the city of Memphis falling through, a big grievance decision won by our BA about CDL qualifying all full-time local Cartage employees (dock or city), and our Local President getting the governor of Arkansas at the time to step in and threaten to pull funding that was allocated for ABF Fort Smith’s revamping of head quarters, the move to Memphis was squashed. Slagle was removed and replaced, the Regional VP from Memphis retired, and the estimated four hundred jobs that were slated to be moved to Memphis remained in North Little Rock Arkansas. Local #878 KICKS ASS!!!
Clerks in west reward for voting no was transfer to ABQ .

Ca

Can you imagine being a lender to yellow right now?
3% interest to a company that can’t turn a profit versus 5% to a 3 month T-bill?

I think that's the unexpected issue Yellow got hit with. 5 years ago, they would've borrowed more money. I bet they tried and got offered lower amounts or just a flat no. That's why they're panicking. Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul has never been a good strategy, so now they're turning to the employees that have nothing left to give.

All p and d drivers will be getting refurbished tractors so they can maneuver better with 53’ trailers.

IMG_9185.md.jpeg