Yellow | The Union

Protect senority ,protect your work from being sub-contracted ,benefits ,overtime pay past 8 hours ,bid job classification are all a few pro's.

one negative is that everyone is worried about what everyone else is doing. one positive is that if you get accused of doing something at a customer you don't have to take management abuse, tell your side to your steward and let them argue for you.

I am fairly new to the industry, what are the positives and negatives of the Union involvement?

This may sound anti union, but my experiece with them is they will lie to you like the company. Keep you in the dark as long as they can. Not take your phone call when you call the local. Let stupid letters stick, and push "the best contract" down your throat until you puke.

They will give 10% of your pay back to the company, "like our vote was going to count anyway." They will basically let the company do what ever it wants, just like a non union company.

The best they will let the company stop paying your pension, and you do not even get a vote. Not much for 53.00 or so a month.

Another thing is you can go down to your local, and BUY, a nice SHINY Jacket, with your name on it and a set of doubles on the back.

The positive, if you are a **** off, miss alot of time, are a lazy worker, and do alot of stupid things, then the union will stick by you, and you will have a job for life.

If you are not one of those guys, watch your back, get ready to be lied to. Get ready to work with a bunch of cry babies, that are worst than women with PMS.Yeah the whole seniority thing good luck with that.

Seniority only means something when you have 30 yrs and you think everyone owes you something. Go ask the senior men on layoff, how good seniority is, when junior men are working and they are on layoff. Its GREAT.

Teenage girls stick together better, than a buch or BIG BAD TEAMSTERS.

If this sounds like something good for you go for it.

I will get some flack for this post. But it really is very close to the TRUTH.

The union will sell you out as quick as the company. "In my experience".

Their will be guys who tell you how great it is, one thing they are probably still working and have enough seniority, for all that has happened to not be affected, by an COO.

I wonder how great it would be for them, if they moved their who family, sold their house and went down to their new terminal , just to be laid off. GOOOOO UNION:puke::eck15:

I think it is good to be a teamster.I have been laid off and called back after two months.I have been at my job now for five years.I't the best job I have ever had.I worked for a non union LTL carrier for nine years(Averitt)and the biggest differance is the pay.You get paid for all your time.I drive for line haul.I get paid by the mile $00.51875 and by the hour $20.74.at Averitt I got $00.42 per mile and $13 an hour after a 45 min wait and all kinds of other hoops I had to jump thru to get paid.At my union job I always get paid for the work I do.

This may sound anti union, but my experiece with them is they will lie to you like the company. Keep you in the dark as long as they can. Not take your phone call when you call the local. Let stupid letters stick, and push "the best contract" down your throat until you puke.

They will give 10% of your pay back to the company, "like our vote was going to count anyway." They will basically let the company do what ever it wants, just like a non union company.

The best they will let the company stop paying your pension, and you do not even get a vote. Not much for 53.00 or so a month.

Another thing is you can go down to your local, and BUY, a nice SHINY Jacket, with your name on it and a set of doubles on the back.

The positive, if you are a **** off, miss alot of time, are a lazy worker, and do alot of stupid things, then the union will stick by you, and you will have a job for life.

If you are not one of those guys, watch your back, get ready to be lied to. Get ready to work with a bunch of cry babies, that are worst than women with PMS.Yeah the whole seniority thing good luck with that.

Seniority only means something when you have 30 yrs and you think everyone owes you something. Go ask the senior men on layoff, how good seniority is, when junior men are working and they are on layoff. Its GREAT.

Their will be guys who tell you how great it is, one thing they are probably still working and have enough seniority, for all that has happened to not be affected, by an COO.

I wonder how great it would be for them, if they moved their who family, sold their house and went down to their new terminal , just to be laid off. GOOOOO UNION:puke::eck15:

Sad but true. You hit the nail on the head, I totally agree.

DITTO! This pos union is a joke. At least with the company they pay you for being a *****. With the union you are just a, well, a slut to be at their beck and call. Ask some of the guys on here what their big bad ba makes for salary while we all take a cut. Could I tell you some stories!:TR10driving03:

DITTO! This pos union is a joke. At least with the company they pay you for being a *****. With the union you are just a, well, a slut to be at their beck and call. Ask some of the guys on here what their big bad ba makes for salary while we all take a cut. Could I tell you some stories!:TR10driving03:

We have a guy who bumped into our terminal with a file full of warning letters. I have seen e-mails from customers who will not ship with us if this man is on the route, and said he was a 'disgrace' to YRC. Now he's allowed to get onto a different route, while we have a guy on lay-off who the custmers love and give us extra shipmensts because the guy is so nice. Im sorry to say this but the union protects sucky workers that deserve to be fired. On the orther hand.....wage and benfeits are as good if not better than anyone else in the industry. (unfortunately too good because YRC is going broke trying to pay us....)

Thanks guys, I just try to tell it the way it was from my point of view. I taught I would get slammed. If I do that is ok , remember, this is just my opinion.

The positive, if you are a **** off, miss alot of time, are a lazy worker, and do alot of stupid things, then the union will stick by you, and you will have a job for life
:

I have difficulty reading most of your posts. You spend a lot of time feeling sorry for yourself. But you hit the nail right smack on the head here. And this could possibly be the one thing that brings the union to its knees. If we expect to compete with the non-unions in this day and age, we better understand that EARNING ones pay is a necessity.

I have not been here long enough to know any pros except the pay. Getting paid for just about everything you do. Cons are getting bumped by other guys that have been laid off somewhere else. It is a great job if you can work.

Stroud,:clap:You make a few interesting points that even I agree with,But it is not the union that has let us down,it is the union leadership that has steered the ship in the wrong direction.When it is time for the next elections send them a message vote them out, starting at the top:nutkick: Junior on down.Unfortunately,just your vote isn't good enough as the membership in freight is dwindling..I think we have more school bus drivers than we have freight members..We have to go out an educate ALL of the teamsters in all of the trades..So what I am saying is if you want change :shift:Then get involved,if you don't want to get involved then don't Bit*h...