Thinking about applying for a Job here any recomindations?

Discussion in 'Central Transport/Vitran' started by Goodwrench, Sep 23, 2010.

1. hooya

hooya Member

Run away......run Forest run!!

2. SemiDriven

SemiDriven New Member

CT is changing for the better...it is going to take time.

John's portrayal of CT in recent years is accurate. However, since David McClimon (former president of Con-Way) took over as President of CT in January, there have been positive changes. If McClimon stays on for the longer term, I expect CT's horrible reputation amongst drivers will fade. The key in my mind is if McClimon stays...so far, so good.

3. SemiDriven

SemiDriven New Member

The Attendance Bonus Program is no more (as of 05/01/11). Just one of the positive things David McClimon has done since he took over.

4. SemiDriven

SemiDriven New Member

Yes, there is hope for this company -- as long as David McClimon stays on for the longer haul. So far, I like what I'm seeing. It appears that the Moroun family is allowing McClimon to make changes that will will benefit themselves as owners as well as employees. I do hope and pray that the Morouns will continue to allow McClimon to run the company as he sees fit. As long as McClimon has the authority and responsibility for decision-making (with accountability to the Moroun family), I see no reason why this company can't improve it's bottom line, it's reputation amongst drivers, and increased confidence in existing and future customers.

5. JohnWNielsen

JohnWNielsen New Member

So, if this guy is this good, then did he reinstate the higher pay? You know, the top pay of $21.50/hr, instead of whatever they lowered it to after I left? What about actually FIXING the trucks? I can't count how many times we were told: the parts are on order, but nothing was ever fixed. The only way I could get anything done, was to call road service while on the route, and tell them the truck NEEDED this. Only then, could I get something fixed. Unfortunately, I still had to run for two summers with no A/C, and carry a squeege with me whenit rained, just so I could see out the windshield! I know that the local terminal here is telling drivers to go around the "super coops", (and I've seen them do it), because ALL Central.trucks are getting pulled in there. If this new "savior"can get the equipment legal, then I'll believe it. But, don't forget, he still works for Matty, so it's still up to that tight-ass to pay out the money.

John

6. hooya

hooya Member

I could have written your original post John. It echos what I went through for 5 years and I never saw $21.50 an hour. I think you're exactly right when you say this guy still works for tight ass matty. I know they have just bought 3 or 5 hundred more junker trucks (used with 500,000 miles on them) to replace some of the worst junkers in their fleet. If that's not throwing good money after bad I don't know what is. Oh ya, they also are spending about $2000 a truck for new yellow paint jobs. I glad I'm not there anymore too.

7. SemiDriven

SemiDriven New Member

Well, at least the pay freeze has been lifted. I'd like to see the $21.50 top rate come back. That would be sweet.

John, you reminded me that I didn't have A/C last year either. Hopefully, that will change for me this year. The trucks are getting fixed. trailers too. Even forklifts. I've never seen a 4-month stretch where so much equipment has been repaired at CT. It ain't perfect--I loaded a trailer today with a hole in the floor--but it's much better than it has been.

I won't run knowingly overweight. That's stupid. I know guys do it all over--at CT and other companies. If my terminal manager asked me run around a scale because the weight is illegal, I'd tell him "see you tomorrow". It's just plain dumb to take a chance and run illegal. If the DOT catches you, it goes on your record. Why risk it.

Things are changing....

8. SemiDriven

SemiDriven New Member

CT is bringing around 175 used tractors into the system in the short term. About one-third of the trucks are 2005 models having less than 400,000 miles. The rest of the tractors have less than 200,000 miles on it (2007 model year).

Throughout the year, CT will be introducing new Cascadia's into the fleet (around 175).

So 350 tractors will be replacing some of the real clunkers and junkers we all know...and hate!

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2011
  9. JohnWNielsen

JohnWNielsen New Member

They're telling them to go around the coops not because they are overweight, but because they are constantly being pulled around back, and are being DOT'D. The coops here have adjusted their hours to accommodate CT trucks, to make site they catch them on their way up to their routes in WI!

John

10. SemiDriven

SemiDriven New Member

Maybe that explains why the trucks are being repaired on such a timely basis! :shrug:

11. Moninja

Moninja Member

You can make more money, work less hours, drive legal and safe equipment, have a 401K, pension, great and affordable medical benefits... just not at Central. I worked there from summer 2007 to fall 2010. So it's not like I didn't give them a chance and I don't regret having worked there... But don't waste your time or saturate the marketplace with another disgruntled, overworked, and underpaid LTL driver. Seriously, I don't know you; but, if you do decide to work there you'll just end up leaving there. You will never make enough to retire from there. If you are financially secure and don't mind driving unsafe equipment for long hours with no overtime, it might be a good fit for you. Referring to my first sentence, I got all that at my present job so I know how Central screws you. Just saying... you asked. My recommendation is that you consider Con-way, FedEx, ABF, UPS, Dayton, USF Holland, etc. Those are good jobs from which you can retire.

12. hooya

hooya Member

With all due respect...I dont believe CT is buying '05 trucks (6 yrs old) with less than 400,000 mi and '07's (4 yrs old) with less than 200,000. In any case, before I left they gave me an 05 Freightliner that was an old JB Hunt truck. I can't remember how many miles were on it but it had a blown head gasket and the A/C didn't work. CT refused to fix it until it quite litteraly wouldn't move anymore. Then they eventually fixed the gasket but not the A/C and took the truck away from me so the activity center could have it and replaced it with another P.O.S. I honestly don't care what this company does or who they hire I don't think they will be competitive with the major LTL companies. CT's method of operation has always been one step forward and at least two steps backwards. After 5 years of working there I've seen it over and over. Today (sadly) they are no better than they were 5 years ago. BTW, they absolutely were banking on Yellow going bankrupt. They even hired a lot of ex Yellow managers. Where is the sense in that?

13. truckdriver402

truckdriver402 New Member

They all but hired me from Pittsburgh to run City P&D. I'm not sure if that's what I want to do.....

14. Stratilac

Stratilac New Member

Any job is a good job to get thru this tuff time in our economic history. Otherwise this wouldnt be a job to take out a mortgage on a nice new house with...nobody ever stays with this company...wonder why?

15. JohnWNielsen

JohnWNielsen New Member

run away as fast as you possibly can!!!!!!!