This Sysco week...

wiggletrain

TB Lurker
Credits
Where do I begin??

Okay, crappy selectors/loaders aside... I had more of a Pshyco week than a Sysco week. Or maybe they are one in the same...

Tuesday spent almost 2 hours in the truck shop before even starting my route. Had lighting problems... finally talked him into letting me have our ONLY spare tractor and getting me out of the yard. Caught up on the route and finished it about 40 minutes ahead of manifest.

Wednesday I had a flat in my car on my way to work. Called my kid at 2 am to come take me to work and left my van at a gas station. (cool part of this one, though, is that my kids, not wanting me to have to deal with it after work, they took off from their jobs and changed my tire and delivered my van to the Sysco parking lot so I would have it after work! *One proud mom here... those are good kids!!*) Si get to work about half an hour late, start my route 45 minutes late, by the end of the day I finish 1/2 hour ahead of manifest. And - I had only had an hour and a half of sleep because one of my kids had a very hard night.

today... oh holy he!!, today... Paperwork was almost an hour late from our perpetually behind warhouse monkeys... start my route over an hour late. By the second stop (im in downtown portland on thursday, and my first two stops are large and time consuming)but by the second stop I am 45 minutes ahead of manifest. I'm on my way to my 3rd, waiting at a red light. Light turns green, I am in the far right lane with two lanes to the left of me. The idiot in the lane directly next to me decides he wants to race me off the line and make a right hand turn. Yep! I hit him. That took my 45 minutes away dealing with his dumb ___!!
One of my boards lobs over on the way to my first stop.
I spill bleach on my new shirt as I heft a box of cleanser onto my shoulder.
I end right in time with manifest, but still put in even more hours doing accident report and talking with my bosses. No, it won't go against me, he was clearly making an illegal turn, but still...

Please god, just let me enjoy putting some miles on as I go over the passes tomorrow night for my Bend reverse...it's the run I look forward to all week!!

I'm going to enjoy my Jeager tonight... hope you guys' Sysco weeks went better than mine!

But - yep... still singing to myself in the truck, still laughing, still enjoying he new gig!! (crazy lady!)

You know WT, I had, in the last year 2 solid weeks like that, I swear I wanted to quit, just bring it back and go home, however, the next week was better, it always is, I hate weeks or days like that, they suck and we don't soon forget.

Thanks for hanging in there, I know we are many miles away, but your attitude and drive are just what the doctor ordered for this company, steward told me Sysco as a whole is the worst violator of labor in the country, don't surprise me, but YOU make a difference to your co-workers with your attitude, good or bad an attitude is infectious.

Thanks for coming to Sysco to support your family, thanks for coming to Truckingboards to give your take on everything. I look forward to your posts, its not often we see a woman doing this job, I commend you for that, you are truly hard!

So how is the situation with the co-worker that we talked about?

Take care, be safe,

GT

Thanks, GT! My Friday run last week was better, although still a comedy of errors of sorts. I ended up laying over, but it was okay.

I'm pretty hard to break down (single moms have to be, I think) and I tend to see the good in things... I know it shows through in my work as well as just in my personality. After one route last week, I walked into my bosses office, he was in there with one of the routers, and they both just looked exauhsted. I was my normally self, joking, bubbly, a little loud and obnoxious in ways... My boss said "would you stop being so happy? Why are you always so happy?" Told him I can't help it! He admited that it is refreshing...

This week was just run-of-the mill. consistently running ahead of manifest which is nice, gives me the ability to slow down a little, play with ideas and think of different techniques!

I am liking the job. I know I'm still kindof slow, that will change naturally on it's own as I get to know product more.... but what a refreshing moment now when I look at my scanner to see what I need and I automatically know what most of the item boxes look like...

and the other with the co-worker... it's amazing!! The cat's out of the bag, so people at work are starting to learn, this should make things interesting. Wpouldn't change it for the world, though. I'll tell you more on PM... still almost can't believe it happened!