ABF | Thoughts on abf life.

Then go work non union
Typical nonsensical lemming. Hey pal, wake up! There is a withdrawal of your dues and that’s about it. Your pay and pension are not Cadillac anymore. Your company is at about 73 bucks a share and these dopes are handing out bonuses like M&Ms. I haven’t seen a Union rep in years.
We are non union. And it’s about time we start making some demands.

Typical nonsensical lemming. Hey pal, wake up! There is a withdrawal of your dues and that’s about it. Your pay and pension are not Cadillac anymore. Your company is at about 73 bucks a share and these dopes are handing out bonuses like M&Ms. I haven’t seen a Union rep in years.
The representation at 034 was abysmal. And there are names I want to name, but I'm a gentleman.

I agree with much of what you say....except the lack of representation...that sounds like a local problem....my BA isn't the best, but she is accessible and she isn't terrible,....SOR praises his BA so he must be good....to me the biggest problem is the Yes men....

I agree with much of what you say....except the lack of representation...that sounds like a local problem....my BA isn't the best, but she is accessible and she isn't terrible,....SOR praises his BA so he must be good....to me the biggest problem is the Yes men....
Yes our BA out of Local #878 rocks and represents use very well. The staff at #878 is a little short handed though in my opinion as all three of our BA’s have to cover multiple contracts including our president who is our UPS package guru. Two of the three BA’s have to handle the pension and health&welfare problems as well as represent the members of their multiple contracts. That being said, if I need to talk to my BA or president, they are just a phone call away. I do wish that my BA would come over in person more often to walk the dock at ABF. But I also understand that his time is limited as not only does he represent ABF, T-Force, and two or three other contracts, he also chairs the Road committee at the grievance hearings and has saved a number of jobs over the years and usually with full back pay. I don’t know how he has a life outside of the Teamsters with all of his responsibilities. I certainly would not want to do it. So yeah, I guess we at #878 are lucky to have great representation.

Last edited:
Yes our BA out of Local #878 rocks and represents use very well. The staff at #878 is a little short handed though in my opinion as all three of our BA’s have to cover multiple contracts including our president who is our UPS package guru. Two of the three BA’s have to handle the pension and health&welfare problems as well as represent the members of their multiple contracts. That being said, if I need to talk to my BA or president, they are just a phone call away. I do wish that my BA would come over in person more often to walk the dock at ABF. But I also understand that his time is limited as not only does he represent ABF, T-Force, and two or three other contracts, he also chairs the Road committee at the grievance hearings and has saved a number of jobs over the years and usually with full back pay. I don’t know how he has a life outside of the Teamsters with all of his responsibilities. I certainly would not want to do it. So yeah, I guess we at #878 are lucky to have great representation.
Quite a while back some of the late shift guys in the shop complained about the same. One day the BA came in at 5:00 AM to talk & meet with them about their complaints & if there was a contract violation. The complainers would not talk to him. They said it would not do any good to meet with him & they just did not like him.
I have never forgotten when I first got started in freight, a man older & wiser told me you can win a grievance but not a gripe.

Quite a while back some of the late shift guys in the shop complained about the same. One day the BA came in at 5:00 AM to talk & meet with them about their complaints & if there was a contract violation. The complainers would not talk to him. They said it would not do any good to meet with him & they just did not like him.
I have never forgotten when I first got started in freight, a man older & wiser told me you can win a grievance but not a gripe.
And some employees can't even win a grievance because they won't talk with a steward or the BA. They complain about legitimate grievances but won't put forth the effort to resolve them. I don't believe, for most employees, it's fear or butt kissing, it's more laziness. Too much trouble to fill out a grievance form and talk with a steward or BA.

And some employees can't even win a grievance because they won't talk with a steward or the BA. They complain about legitimate grievances but won't put forth the effort to resolve them. I don't believe, for most employees, it's fear or butt kissing, it's more laziness. Too much trouble to fill out a grievance form and talk with a steward or BA.
Some are fearful of management not liking them if they attempt to enforce the contract the company agreed to.