Thursday Tornado Day Arkansas-Alabama

1984Sideways

Honk!
Credits
I have followed the Storm Prediction Center out of Norman OK as one of the things I check against the USA weather in tornado season. SPC is usually updated 4 times daily, faster in storm time.

Thursday midday to Friday sunrise I expect strong tornados to spawn central Arkansas and roll east into Alabama by morning as several systems merge in the atmosphere above us. We have generally a powerful low below 1000 millibars coming out of Missouri and join with that made the snow in Wyoming etc and the wet air in the deep south. All of that will be in conflict by Thursday this week. At some point the sun will cook off the cap and then storms will march east getting bigger and stronger into the night and make a number of tornadoes that do a pretty good bit of damage.

In trucking terms that will not be the time to be rolling through here if you can hold off for half a day before coming through it will work out nicely west to east. Those coming out of east to west, well looks like you need to roll em until at least either the Sabine Pass or the Ozarks are put into your rearview before late morning Thursday.

If you are here in Arkansas when the tornados form, generally your local law is all over it as are the radio stations and television if they get serious enough everyone will know exactly where they are, where they been and where they are going more or less. The problem is that here along US 67 is the line of the Ozark hills into the flood plains to the Mississippi and they tend to get up and run east of that freeway. Do not take your rigs into these storms if you can stop somewhere and get into a strong building. Particularly if you hear the single note of our Sirens that means there is a tornado active and coming where you are if you can hear them.

Alabama is fixing to get hammered pretty good as they always do into the night when these systems get bigger and stronger after sunset. So... all I can say is good luck. Be careful out there. One learns to live with them constantly twice a year. Its not a problem. Until it is. We have had about 800+ in the last 20 years plus and probably seen about 50 of them first hand. They usually turn to follow one of two valleys into the flat. Usually. If not? Oh well. See you on the other side lolz.