Yellow | Today’s Big Three LTL Carriers Are All Non-Union

Lazarus745

TB Lurker
Credits
'For the first time in the history of the rankings, YRC Freight was not one of the top three LTL carriers. Old Dominion Freight Line edged out YRC Freight to take the No. 3 slot, increasing revenue 1.5 percent.

That means today’s Big Three LTL carriers are all non-union operators: FedEx Freight, with $5.9 billion in LTL revenue in the calendar year; XPO Logistics with $3.4 billion; and $2.94 billion ODFL. YRC Freight’s LTL revenue fell 3.6 percent in 2016 to $2.92 billion.

That’s a shock for those who remember when YRC predecessors Yellow and Roadway, along with Consolidated Freightways, were the unionized Big Three LTL carriers that dominated the field for decades, and a sign of how much LTL has changed since the 1990s.'

I think the use of PTS has diminished some of the better returns on revenues from past performance.We lost some major accounts because I believe of the use of PTS.Many shippers do care what their freight gets loaded on.If they wanted Knight or Covenant or CRST transportation to haul their freight they would've called them instead of YRCW.I'm not saying that's the total issue but part of it.Then let's look at the wages.Yep we are the lowest paid among ltls.We get what we pay for or I should say YRCW gets.I think YRC should take a look at these two or so issues.My opinion

Union carriers are becoming a thing of the past .
Reword that partner. Union carriers,are,a thing of the past....A big part of the downfall of union carriers,IMO, is failure to change our attitudes,work methods, work rules, and the companies trying to move freight the way we did it 30 years ago. You need change to compete in this environment...

Failure to organize in the ltl sector.The loss of major labor jobs.Failure to change in the multi employer pension funds.The Era of having multi conferences is over in the pension department.Union corruption whether actual or appearant.The lack of publicity in a good way or lack of advertising.Pick one or all the above.Its pitiful that labor in the ltl sector continues to fear for their jobs and accept whatever the BOSS puts forth in front of them.The continuation of unfair labor practices is alive and well.no protection for indiscriminate terminations.They choose to work under these conditions instead of organizing and having a voice in their workplace.The union has some explaining to do

Things. Work. Jobs. Companies. Are evolving all the time.
Quicker now than ever. Thinking in the now is in the past.
Have to think where we(any company)will be in a year. Two years and beyond from this point.
YRC has contract on their minds.
YRC cannot keep up.
It takes young smart minds.
Young and smart being the key words.
Also people who care.
Top to bottom. Can't have the big mix we have of caring and don't give a hoot.

Things. Work. Jobs. Companies. Are evolving all the time.
Quicker now than ever. Thinking in the now is in the past.
Have to think where we(any company)will be in a year. Two years and beyond from this point.
YRC has contract on their minds.
YRC cannot keep up.
It takes young smart minds.
Young and smart being the key words.
Also people who care.
Top to bottom. Can't have the big mix we have of caring and don't give a hoot.
As far as this company is concerned both the union and the company have bred and attributed to the current working conditions.Top executives reviewing bonuses is probably at the top of most of our ire list

IDK, maybe going out and borrowing 1.5 BILLION dollars with no way to pay it back might have had some impact.
Yellow should never have bought Roadway. That whole deal was a massive mistake, and the purchase of USF to help pay for it only made things worse.

I wouldn't say the era of unionized trucking is gone, but the Teamsters aren't really trying to convince the employees of the big carriers to join, either. There needs to be a real organizing effort, like back in the 60's and 70's. Show the other drivers what paying dues will get them.

One can only wonder what the industry would look like today if Consolidated Freightways was still around...

CFFreightlinerCascadia_zpsd411ef1a.jpg

I think the use of PTS has diminished some of the better returns on revenues from past performance.We lost some major accounts because I believe of the use of PTS.Many shippers do care what their freight gets loaded on.If they wanted Knight or Covenant or CRST transportation to haul their freight they would've called them instead of YRCW.I'm not saying that's the total issue but part of it.
in my opinion, you're delusional....

So PTS running teams is slower service than management losing loads in the yard?
The point isn't losing loads in any yard.The point is when a big shipper requests our services and their product is entrusted to be loaded on our trailers specifically they don't want to find out later that another carrier especially CRST and others they don't trust was the ones who actually hauled their product.That doesn't bode well and is deceptive practices.Same as a shipper buying a trailer just for their use only and yrc loads other junk on top of theirs.that's what happened

Reword that partner. Union carriers,are,a thing of the past....A big part of the downfall of union carriers,IMO, is failure to change our attitudes,work methods, work rules, and the companies trying to move freight the way we did it 30 years ago. You need change to compete in this environment...
Agree and sad part is we are at the pay scale about 7 years ago ,thanks to the -15% , 2019 could be the end of union trucking companies, because new Driver's are going to non-union for more money and flexibility of work schedules and BIG one is a Matching 401-K that you control NOT the ponzi union boy Nyhan at cspf !!