ODFL | Top Speed, Odd

Conway Lifer

TB Lurker
Credits
Good morning fellow truckers. I’m with XPO, I run linehaul, the slowest ltl trucks on the road. What is odd to me, I get passed on the road by you guys running line, in a day cab doing 70 mph. What’s odd is that your line sleeper tractors go 64-65 mphs. I would think that the long haul sleeper tractors should be going 70mph. Just my thoughts. Happy holidays drivers!

Good morning fellow truckers. I’m with XPO, I run linehaul, the slowest ltl trucks on the road. What is odd to me, I get passed on the road by you guys running line, in a day cab doing 70 mph. What’s odd is that your line sleeper tractors go 64-65 mphs. I would think that the long haul sleeper tractors should be going 70mph. Just my thoughts. Happy holidays drivers!
That Driver who passed you at 70 is on a scheduled long mileage meet & turn's.Usually running around 600 miles round trip.All team tractors are set at 65

You guys have a few out there at 70 , must be for triples or slipped thru the cracks

I see pictures like this from Pennsylvania the other day, and wonder how many of these drivers complain the truck doesn’t run fast enough..

obVo5pR.jpg

I see pictures like this from Pennsylvania the other day, and wonder how many of these drivers complain the truck doesn’t run fast enough..

obVo5pR.jpg
This has absolutely nothing to do with what this thread is about. I’d love to have a dollar for every post you’ve made in negative light on anything that does better than 55mph. We get it, you’re content with lower speeds than the industry standard.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what this thread is about. I’d love to have a dollar for every post you’ve made in negative light on anything that does better than 55mph. We get it, you’re content with lower speeds than the industry standard.
It has everything to do with this thread. Ever since the speed limit went back to 70, it’s like everyone is trying to do things faster, and faster, including these turn runs of 600-700 miles a night. These things always look good to management on a computer screen, but the reality is, it puts stress and sense of urgency on the driver to want the truck to go over 70 mph. I guess if the trucks were turned up to 80, drivers would be content to turn 725 miles a night?

It has everything to do with this thread. Ever since the speed limit went back to 70, it’s like everyone is trying to do things faster, and faster, including these turn runs of 600-700 miles a night. These things always look good to management on a computer screen, but the reality is, it puts stress and sense of urgency on the driver to want the truck to go over 70 mph. I guess if the trucks were turned up to 80, drivers would be content to turn 725 miles a night?
Never mind construction, accident, slow moving traffic, and checking a tire delays. Great point Big R, it looks great on a computer display, but let the desk jockeys get out here and take a ride and deal with reality.

Never mind construction, accident, slow moving traffic, and checking a tire delays. Great point Big R, it looks great on a computer display, but let the desk jockeys get out here and take a ride and deal with reality.

But how many brain-dead drivers are drooling for longer and longer runs? That's the real problem. "We have met the enemy and it is us!"

Well it sounds to me like you’ve never driven a 70mph truck. I’ve been governed at everything from 62 to 70 in my career. In my experience driving a 70 is safer. You pay attention more, you are able to get away from packs of trucks that you’d be stuck in if you were driving slower. You get your day over faster with more miles and more income that you can hopefully save to get out of the truck forever. So no slower trucks are not safer.

Well it sounds to me like you’ve never driven a 70mph truck. I’ve been governed at everything from 62 to 70 in my career. In my experience driving a 70 is safer. You pay attention more, you are able to get away from packs of trucks that you’d be stuck in if you were driving slower. You get your day over faster with more miles and more income that you can hopefully save to get out of the truck forever. So no slower trucks are not safer.

One thing you haven't mentioned is the added stress (hidden of course) you undergo while driving at higher speeds and doing longer miles. The very best road job IMHO is one completed in an 8 hour work day. I could never understand why drivers want to drive longer miles/hours when we get paid by the mile and don't get premium pay after a normal 8 hour work day. Why work longer hours at a comparatively lower pay rate after the 8?

I never said slower trucks are safer. You read these posts saying,if my truck ran 70, I could get done quicker,or beat rush hour traffic,or it wouldn’t take me 3 miles to pass XPO,FedEx,or OD. That’s all BS,and you know it. Just as your comment about being able to pull away from the pack? Most of the traffic out there is going 75,or faster. And yes, more miles, more income, more stress, more chances of not being able to slow down to avoid an accident, like all those in the picture I posted.

I never said slower trucks are safer. You read these posts saying,if my truck ran 70, I could get done quicker,or beat rush hour traffic,or it wouldn’t take me 3 miles to pass XPO,FedEx,or OD. That’s all BS,and you know it. Just as your comment about being able to pull away from the pack? Most of the traffic out there is going 75,or faster. And yes, more miles, more income, more stress, more chances of not being able to slow down to avoid an accident, like all those in the picture I posted.
I’m talking about truck traffic, most trucks in my area run slower than 70.. it’s not BS....and like the comment you made it’s also safer to make your pass and get it over with than run side by side for 15 miles! As far as stopping..... seriously that’s your argument ? Well that can be at any speed in the winter you just have to pay attention! You are more then entitled to your opinion as am I. You can not change my opinion on this that’s based on my experience. ....and as the other comment said working 8 hours would be great however if you drive out of certain locations you may not have the option for those shorter runs... you have to run the runs that are available according to your senority and sometimes they are long.....