ODFL | Top Speed, Odd

One thing you haven't mentioned is the added stress (hidden of course) you undergo while driving at higher speeds and doing longer miles. The very best road job IMHO is one completed in an 8-hour workday. I could never understand why drivers want to drive longer miles/hours when we get paid by the mile and don't get premium pay after a normal 8 hour workday. Why work longer hours at a comparatively lower pay rate after the 8?

We had a minimum running time, if your truck ran 75 or 46 mph, clocking in before that time you got you a warning letter.
I always liked driving a 72 mph once in a while, but it was stressful, you wore out your mirrors looking behind
Don't care what anyone thinks, highways were a lot safer when we had the 55 mph speed limit.
I made just as much money and had as much off time.

I’m talking about truck traffic, most trucks in my area run slower than 70.. it’s not BS....and like the comment you made it’s also safer to make your pass and get it over with than run side by side for 15 miles! As far as stopping..... seriously that’s your argument ? Well that can be at any speed in the winter you just have to pay attention! You are more then entitled to your opinion as am I. You can not change my opinion on this that’s based on my experience. ....and as the other comment said working 8 hours would be great however if you drive out of certain locations you may not have the option for those shorter runs... you have to run the runs that are available according to your senority and sometimes they are long.....
If it takes anyone 15 miles to pass one another, then you both are inconsiderate. And no, stopping is not my argument. Still, most truck accidents are caused by too fast for conditions, along with distracted driving. Hopefully your company will see value in your complaints, and turn your truck up to 78 or so, then you can get done quicker, pass all the slow pokes,make more money, and do a 750-800 mile turn a night. And retire sooner too.

I’m talking about truck traffic, most trucks in my area run slower than 70.. it’s not BS....and like the comment you made it’s also safer to make your pass and get it over with than run side by side for 15 miles! As far as stopping..... seriously that’s your argument ? Well that can be at any speed in the winter you just have to pay attention! You are more then entitled to your opinion as am I. You can not change my opinion on this that’s based on my experience. ....and as the other comment said working 8 hours would be great however if you drive out of certain locations you may not have the option for those shorter runs... you have to run the runs that are available according to your senority and sometimes they are long.....

Wouldn't think of changing your opinion, just show me the facts that highways are safer with today's speed limit than when we had a 55 mph limit.
I guess I was lucky and didn't have to run like a wild man.

Actually have 65, 68 and 70, depends on run. I run a 698 turn. Tractor is set at 70. When ran wild, actually some 75, used those terminals tractors to cover run that required, don't know if those are still out there, been 8 years.
Just curious, how much drive time do you have left after completing a 698 mile turn?

55mph put in place to save fuel, 1973 under Nixon, not safety. CATO and other independent organizations have done numerous studies. Split speeds forced by law or individual entities are most dangerous. People/public, are easily conditioned and propagandized to "feel it's safer". Majority of accidents that truck is at fault is in tractors governed under 68mph, usually do to experience and/or not paying attention to conditions. Same with all vehicles. Ran bull rack, swinging meat, tanker, in non governed big trucks. All 48 and Canada. Also driven 55mph to 70mph governed. Being stuck in packs of governed trucks, with 4 wheelers frustrated and darting in and around, sometimes passing on shoulders, no passing zones, etc always most dangerous situation. 35 years driving, coming up on 4.5 million miles without a preventable accident and no moving violations, some day I'll have enough experience to have an opinion.

Just curious, how much drive time do you have left after completing a 698 mile turn?
Normal day 35-40 minutes. 25min. on 25+mph windy days. Back when had 13' cummins, 55 minutes, wind didn't effect much. Forget about running cruise in my 17, falls off too much, lose 15 minutes drive time.

55mph put in place to save fuel, 1973 under Nixon, not safety. CATO and other independent organizations have done numerous studies. Split speeds forced by law or individual entities are most dangerous. People/public, are easily conditioned and propagandized to "feel it's safer". Majority of accidents that truck is at fault is in tractors governed under 68mph, usually do to experience and/or not paying attention to conditions. Same with all vehicles. Ran bull rack, swinging meat, tanker, in non governed big trucks. All 48 and Canada. Also driven 55mph to 70mph governed. Being stuck in packs of governed trucks, with 4 wheelers frustrated and darting in and around, sometimes passing on shoulders, no passing zones, etc always most dangerous situation. 35 years driving, coming up on 4.5 million miles without a preventable accident and no moving violations, some day I'll have enough experience to have an opinion.

WOW, that must be a record, sounds like you had a lot of seat time.

If it takes anyone 15 miles to pass one another, then you both are inconsiderate. And no, stopping is not my argument. Still, most truck accidents are caused by too fast for conditions, along with distracted driving. Hopefully your company will see value in your complaints, and turn your truck up to 78 or so, then you can get done quicker, pass all the slow pokes,make more money, and do a 750-800 mile turn a night. And retire sooner too.

I can think of a better word than inconsiderate.

Well it sounds to me like you’ve never driven a 70mph truck. I’ve been governed at everything from 62 to 70 in my career. In my experience driving a 70 is safer. You pay attention more, you are able to get away from packs of trucks that you’d be stuck in if you were driving slower. You get your day over faster with more miles and more income that you can hopefully save to get out of the truck forever. So no slower trucks are not safer.
70 is definitely safer for many reasons, 75 MPH would be better so we can atleast do the posted speeds. Some highways in Texas are 80 but most are 75.

Well it sounds to me like you’ve never driven a 70mph truck. I’ve been governed at everything from 62 to 70 in my career. In my experience driving a 70 is safer. You pay attention more, you are able to get away from packs of trucks that you’d be stuck in if you were driving slower. You get your day over faster with more miles and more income that you can hopefully save to get out of the truck forever. So no slower trucks are not safer.
Lots of road rage when trucks governed at 65 mph.

I never said slower trucks are safer. You read these posts saying,if my truck ran 70, I could get done quicker,or beat rush hour traffic,or it wouldn’t take me 3 miles to pass XPO,FedEx,or OD. That’s all BS,and you know it. Just as your comment about being able to pull away from the pack? Most of the traffic out there is going 75,or faster. And yes, more miles, more income, more stress, more chances of not being able to slow down to avoid an accident, like all those in the picture I posted.
Driving too close is more dangerous than too fast.
Too many trucks at 65 and tailgating due to road rage.
And blowing through construction zones to make up lost time or not fall behind.

How often the owner ops blaze by then drive slower than Fedex or YRC thru the construction zone.