Tough Decision

Moneyman01

Proud to be a dad!
Credits
Guy I had a interview almost 3 weeks ago with Mohawk Industries a flooring manufacture and this week I have a interview with Asian Foods. I'm trying to figure out which job would be better.

Mohawk I would be gone 3 night a week and both my routes will be in ND which is where I want to run. I will have a assigned truck and work monday thur friday. I should be able to gross between 1400 and 1500 a week maybe more. Pretty much all deliveries are by forklift. I know they ran my background check this past week so there still is hope plus its still posted on there site.

Asian Foods I will be gone 1 to 2 nights a week and a 4 day work week with a saturday included. I was told on the phone I might be able to get 2 overnights since I live a hour from the warehouse. This job sounds pretty promising they told me I'm a perfect canidate plus my buddy works there. I know I'll be dealing with alot of people that cant speak very good english. I'll know more when I go in for my interview.

I would like to stay of GFS but I'm scared of the changes that will be happening at the first of the year. I have a feeling I'm gonna be told to move to Kenosha or be out of a job unless they get the business and I can get on a day route.

So I dont know what to do. Its a big decision since I have a family to worry about.

Ok, here is my OPINION ONLY:

1)You are a family man now, who has the better benifits? That counts alot when you have a family. Now, if your fience(sp) has great benifits at her job and you and the little one are going to be on them, then skip number one. I have passed on three jobs this year because the benifits SUCKED and my wife's benifits are a joke. So both are carried on mine.

2)No matter how bad the economy gets, you will always have freight on the trailer at Asian Foods. People got to eat. With Mohawk, the freight can be effected by the houseing market, which sucks right now. Not alot of new home building, remolding, etc. Will they still have a warehouse in your area in 5, 10, 15 years? Or will they consalidate(sp) and move and then will you be in a postion to follow your work?

Asian foods is owned by Sysco so they got Syscos benefits which sound good. Mohawks benefits are just as good. One of the biggest reasons why i dont want to go to Asian foods is because they have cameras in there trucks and i dont really like that. I know mohawk is extremely busy because of the oil boom in ND and there building like crazy up there and doing alot of remodeling. This warehouse has been there for years already and alot of drivers have been there for a long time already. They got 7 trucks and want to put 1 more truck on now and spring time another one maybe.

You know what I think Daddy Money, the bennies are close, sooo, who pays more? You never told me what you could crank out at AF...Mohawk is a big deal, I don't think they are going anywhere but like RR said, the housing, hotel, economy, it all effects the flooring industry, like fried pork, ppl are always goin to need flooring, its a hard decision my Brother..

I'll letcha wake up and we can talk about it more.

I had my interview at Asian Foods today. I honestly dont know how it went. The cameras came up and he asked me how i felt about them and I said they kinda bother me and thats the only bad thing about the job. He asked why and I told him Ive been driving 6 years and I'm not use to anyone being able to see what I'm doing in the truck and he started to get a lil upset I think. He said it was a safety thing and it was to protect sysco and its drivers. He said using phones is a distraction even with a bluetooth. I didnt say nothing but I asked what if I have a family emergency he said you have to pull over but not on the side of a road. You have to get to a safe spot. I dont know how I should feel but I dont think I'll get the job because of the camera deal.

I'm just gonna ride it out at GFS and hope I get a day route so I can stay at GFS for a while. Its a good company and a good job.

I had my interview at Asian Foods today. I honestly dont know how it went. The cameras came up and he asked me how i felt about them and I said they kinda bother me and thats the only bad thing about the job. He asked why and I told him Ive been driving 6 years and I'm not use to anyone being able to see what I'm doing in the truck and he started to get a lil upset I think. He said it was a safety thing and it was to protect sysco and its drivers. He said using phones is a distraction even with a bluetooth. I didnt say nothing but I asked what if I have a family emergency he said you have to pull over but not on the side of a road. You have to get to a safe spot. I dont know how I should feel but I dont think I'll get the job because of the camera deal.

I'm just gonna ride it out at GFS and hope I get a day route so I can stay at GFS for a while. Its a good company and a good job.
I got your text but it was late, I had a long day yesterday, came home and fell into bed, I'm sure no driver likes the cameras, if a condition of your employment is to love the f'in cameras then maybe you don't belong there. I'm packing it up and moving on when Sysco at my opco gets them, I WILL find something else! I didn't get into this profession so I could be looked out while I pick my nose, sing to the radio and scratch my nutts and ass...F all that!!

I got your text but it was late, I had a long day yesterday, came home and fell into bed, I'm sure no driver likes the cameras, if a condition of your employment is to love the f'in cameras then maybe you don't belong there. I'm packing it up and moving on when Sysco at my opco gets them, I WILL find something else! I didn't get into this profession so I could be looked out while I pick my nose, sing to the radio and scratch my nutts and ass...F all that!!

Just wave and let the camera know that it is number one:fingure:every ten seconds.

Moneyman,
On second thought go with Mohawk.

Yeah thats how I'm kinda feeling. I didnt get in this profession to be looked at either. They said that they cant watch you all the time only when it turns on then it records 8 secs back and 8 secs forward. After the cameras came up then it got kinda quiet. Also I would be working every saturday which would be fine if it was for a short time but I figure around 5 years i'll be on saturdays.

RR I havent heard from them and its been almost 4 weeks so I'm kinda ruling them out. Just gonna stick it out at GFS till I find out whats really gonna happen and hopefully get a day route. If Mohawk does call then I'll think about it again but for now I'm staying.

Give mohawk a try...just think you have foodservice experience you can always come back to this
if the mohawk situation doesn't workout and if asian foods is hiring now this is foodservice they will be
hiring in the next 6mo and probably next year as well. Just pray about it and hope for the best man good
luck....i would go for it because it will be harder if you are suddenly out of a job at gfs...then it seems nobody
is currently hiring when u need them to be.... again good luck!

Thanks Ramprunner. Ive been thinking about Mohawk alot and I think it would be a good job. Plus I would save my back. I havent heard from them but I am gonna give them a call later when I wake up. I'll keep my options open and if I dont switch or find something then I hope GFS can get me some day routes so I can stay.

Well guys I havent heard from Mohawk and the job is not posted on the site anymore. I did however hear from Sysco Asian Foods. They are not going to hire anyone till after the holidays and he said he will give me a call in a month. I told him I'm not switching jobs now till my fiance gets done with school because I cant take a cut in pay. Who knows maybe I'll have some good news from GFS by then on getting some day routes.

Save your back at mohawk??

They have some HEAVY STUFF and YOU'RE THE FORKLIFT at the MANY deliveries, like food service.

--1 run in NC consisted of 22 stops in and near Raleigh which I went on for 1 DAY in '09 and was expected to recall ALL stops for the next day. I don't live in Raleigh and I didn't bother attempting it solo--

Asian Sysco with their driver watch cameras isn't any better, so basically you have the choice of 2 shyt sandwiches, whichever is less soggy.

Good Luck.