Averitt | Truck Load Drivers...you're really not Averitt Employees...

zeroday

TB Veteran
Credits
I remember many years ago when this company was still a trucking company a bad week was 2200 miles...now a good week is 1700 and I didn't even get that last week...I get the same old song and dance:

"Oh freight is so slow no one is getting miles" or "You're lucky many drivers are getting less than you"...

It is such a shame how TL drivers ar treated as non-employees at this company...I don't have a mortgage to pay, I don't have bills to pay, it's ok if I sit all week in this truck bored out of my skull...

No miles to give you driver but we have MILLIONS to buy new trucks and trailers, renovate service centers...hey while you're here stop on buy for a free hot dog...

I Know How You Feel

I've had more than my share of crappy weeks! 1400-1800 pd miles are KILLERS. I've had 2400 and 2600 pd miles the last 2 weeks, and EARNED every mile! With the new HOS rules in effect, getting home late on Saturday is now the norm, along with running on the RECAP for many. It seems that the trainer's (CHEAP TEAMS) are getting the miles, dropping loads at sertcrs, grabbing another, leaving us to deliver the LOCAL stuff off the yard. I've heard the "NO FREIGHT" line before and it's does depend where you are on any given day, especially during the early part of the week. It does suck to sit at a LARGE serctr, waiting for a dispatch, and see outside carrier's come and go with OUR trailers, then be told SORRY FREIGHT IS SLOW! Of course being in CLT during the middle of the week, they have NO PROBLEM dispatching you to ROCK TAVERN NY or CUMBERLAND MD with a LTL, which puts you 1000 miles from home on Thursday or Friday. I've spoken to MANY of our flat bedders, a lot of them are also unhappy, with the low miles and the JUNK they are driving, many are looking for ANOTHER company to drive for. I'm lucky that my home and vehicles are paid for, and my overall debt is low, otherwise I could not AFFORD to work here, I can't see how the other drivers are doing it. 1800 miles just pays my bills, 2000 lets me put a few dollars in the bank, 2200 and above affords us to do some extra things. That is at .425 a mile, I can't imagine how the new people are making out, of course if we were making what sleeper shuttle gets, 1800 pd would be acceptable. After the 1st of the year, working here will only be in 3 month increments for me.

Central is leaving 4 or 5 of our guys at home while the outside carriers keep rolling. At least 3 leaving the yard at the same time I was trying to get out the gate.

I've said it before and I will say it agin now and in the future as well. We have NOBODY on the hill that knows ANYTHING about how to run an efficient operation when it comes to moving freight. We watch as Landstar, et all pull our loads and we get the calls "Do you want to stay home" on a nightly basis.

In the many years that I have spent observing, the SAME people that have been in the dispatch operations of this outfit since I started have never been replaced. They sucked back then and they suck today. The people we speak with on the phone are only doing what they are allowed to do by the unknowing. For years I have asked to see what this or that policy is and I constantly hear their is no policy (except if it benefits AE) and EVERY terminal does things differently. By the same token I have never been asked to pull any TL loads, instead being told there was no freight and I knew full well that there were numerous loads to be moved.

We can beat this horse to a pulp but the fact remains that inexperience breeds inexperience. Until about 5-6 certain individuals in corporate are no longer causing us issues, we will continue on the mediocrity trail. Hold on tight!

I would like to see Driver Manager's pay tied to their fleet miles per week...maybe instead of "Oh so sorry" they would get off their behinds and demand the Load Planners quit shoveling their crap on their drivers...it's so easy to sit behind a computer pushing buttons with no concern for the drivers behind those numbers....then when they see their pay check take a dive they'll think about...