Trucker who crashed after dozing off says lack of adequate parking to blame

st. j vet

TB Lurker
Credits
Long-haul trucker Glen Hamblin struggled to stay awake as he rolled down Interstate 77 through North Carolina. South of Statesville he began searching for a safe, legal place to stop for a nap.

“Every exit, I was looking and hoping to find a sign that said ‘Rest Area,’” Hamblin, 53, of Hyrum, Utah, said Monday.

He was afraid to sleep on the shoulder of an exit ramp. He couldn’t afford a parking ticket.

It was just before 2 a.m. Friday. Hamblin had picked up 50,000 pounds of potatoes in Michigan on Thursday for delivery to the Frito-Lay plant in Charlotte – not far from the South Carolina line, off I-77 Exit 1.

He didn’t make it. After fighting off sleep for half an hour, he crashed near Exit 9.

“I dozed off for a second and woke up just in time to see the cement barrier in front of my truck,” Hamblin said.

The impact sent the engine flying out of his overturned truck. There was a fire. I-77 was blocked for much of the day while cleanup crews used front-end loaders to scoop up the fuel-stained potatoes.
pot1.jpg

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/road-worrier-blog/article76616082.html

The parking issue is real, but he admitted he was dosing? I would not bet the insurance, police, and company will look at it that way. Only good thing it looks like no one else involved.

A Parking Ticket (IF, confronted by some law dog) and the c.s.a. points are both MUCH CHEAPER than "fighting off sleep" as sleep always wins, as this case and the 10's of thousands over the many decades exited clearly proved and the yet to happen shall continue to prove.
THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEWHERE TO PARK, even on I-77.
Drivers can park at the scale house just below the rest area after entering NC from Va. and the newest "ANTI TRUCK PARKING" statute doesn't specify coops, as far as I know.

I've parked in MANY PLACES I've never again parked in/at.

Some newbie as well veteran and foreign drivers park on shoulders, so go figure.

SAFETY OVER RIDES (OVERRIDES) any parking restriction regardless of signage, (no overnight parking, two hour parking, no truck parking, etc.) just look at how many "festival parking" drivers park up in truck stops, rest areas, and other locations.

Proper Trip Planning (whatever that is) is the way to roll.

THERE IS NO LOAD WORTH YOUR LIFE!!
THERE IS NO LOAD SO HOT IT HAS TO COOL OFF IN A DITCH, RAVINE, ON FIRE
......add your text...

Driver has no case as THE DRIVER IS RESPONSIBLE (except when, generally speaking, the driver is not responsible).

Last edited: