Averitt | Truckload and the New HOS rules...

zeroday

TB Veteran
Credits
Got a message today as I'm sure everyone else did concerning the new HOS rules that go into effect Monday July 1st...It would appear that when we get home on a weekend if we do not qualify for a restart ie. our last restart was less than 7 days ago we will be running on our recap the following week until we can qualify for a new restart...Now I'm really wondering how in the world this is going to work. If we are running on our recap that means we can only run on the 7th day what we ran on the previous 7th day. It would seem it would be a nightmare for the load planners knowing they have a driver available but does not have the hours needed for a load they have to cover...It will be interesting to see how this works out...

Back to the way we used to do it. The days of the hard chargers are ovee. Restart rules plus mandatory break in a non-idleable daycab. I'll gladly utilize the break and force the truck to stay running. That'll keep Averitt "green". LOL. That's MATT and the lazy unions for ya.

For the LTL side the new rules will have little or no effect....business as usual. Shuttle will have to take a 30 min break...again no big deal. A decent sit down takes 30min. The new rules have UNION finger prints all over them! For truckload....drivers are just going to manage their hours better and be smart about it. Cookeville is FINALLY going to have to accept that we as drivers have to work off of the QUALCOMM hrs....VHOS mean NOTHING to me as a driver. Running off the ReCap is no big deal, as I did this back in the OLDEN DAYs.
We still have drivers who are STILL running on PAPER LOGS, due to the division they are in or have older trucks....and for the most part are CLUELESS on how to run a RECAP. I ran into these people in NAS and KNX this week and when I attempted to explain how to do it to them, it was like I was talking to a wall:regretful: COOKEVILLE has no choice to modify the way drivers are dispatched and handled. If drivers cannot make a living at AVERITT under the new rules, they will just simply move on. Driving a truck with a window behind the seat does have a certain appeal now, unfortunately doing so at AVERITT will not happen. SOOOOO I might have to move on after 10years or just retire.

jeep, the recap was SOP back in the day. I used it daily until the 34 hour restart came along and it just takes a little bit of thinking and practice. Basically you either restart or you recap...simple as that.
These new rules are really not going to effect me. I don't work weekends EVER and taking 30 minutes before 8 on duty is a given for me. Most of the time it is an hour+ break so no problem there.

Me on the other hand hate the thought of sitting still for 30 minutes, never have by choice but now the law says break, so I will break.

I'll gladly sit. If I get thrown into traffic, oh well. Maybe if ths happens nationwide with all the carriers, there will be 7 kinds of hell raised snd finally this rogue organization, PATT, will be put out to pasture. Bring on the breaks. Heck, bring on two of them.

I'll gladly sit. If I get thrown into traffic, oh well. Maybe if ths happens nationwide with all the carriers, there will be 7 kinds of hell raised snd finally this rogue organization, PATT, will be put out to pasture. Bring on the breaks. Heck, bring on two of them.
Another uniformed organization that is clueless on how the industry works, Along with the ATA (Anti Truck Driver Association) which is nothing but a blowhard organization for the companies, lets not forget the FMCSA,, a government works program for people who are completely clueless!

Is it possible for you to come in 30 minutes early?
Best just to let the chips fall and arrive when you get there. Make no special provisions. When freight throughout the industry suffers service failures, people with boats that have a lot bigger wake than ours will make some effective noise.

I an very familiar with the ATA after working with the TTA, and believe me they lobbied hard and changed the governments mind about the laws that were proposed to go in the books. The new laws, as aggravating as they seem, are far, far more reasonable than the first drafts that came out of Washington.

I doubt anything will change in the daycab division, shorter runs would require more drivers. I know all but two of our KNX runs are generous on drive times. Our run times are based on us taking a 30 minute break anyway.

I an very familiar with the ATA after working with the TTA, and believe me they lobbied hard and changed the governments mind about the laws that were proposed to go in the books. The new laws, as aggravating as they seem, are far, far more reasonable than the first drafts that came out of Washington.
I don't doubt it but this is still a fubar.

I doubt anything will change in the daycab division, shorter runs would require more drivers. I know all but two of our KNX runs are generous on drive times. Our run times are based on us taking a 30 minute break anyway.
Yeah, same at my barn. TL and dedicated are going to suffer the hits. Also the LTL teams may feel it somewhat.

We moved one of our teams to Wednesday, and yes it is bullhockey but better than it could have been, my break did feel pretty good though, dangit !