New Penn | Tyson Johnsons letter

Irishman107

TB Lurker
Credits
September 10, 2010
Dear YRCW-Teamster Members:
As you most certainly are aware, YRCW continues to struggle to stabilize its business in these extremely difficult economic times. It faces challenges from debt obligations imposed by its lenders as well as from competitors that would like YRCW to go out of business so that they can take the company’s customers and your jobs.
The Teamsters Union and your negotiating committee have worked diligently to ensure that our YRCW members have a voice in deciding whether and how they can help this company survive, with the overriding objective of preserving jobs and benefits.
On a personal level, we go to sleep every night and wake up every morning worrying about the enormous toll this situation has already imposed on you and your family. If it wasn’t for your sacrifices, this company would have gone out of business. Members have made clear to us that preserving their jobs and benefits is the paramount objective. We have not lost focus on that objective.
The depressed conditions in the freight industry have unfortunately continued to cause serious problems for YRCW. Shipment volumes, despite some improvement during this past summer as reported in YRCW’s second-quarter earnings in early August, are still precarious.
We have participated in ongoing discussions with the company’s management over the past two years in a continuous effort to identify additional ways to improve the company’s ability to compete in these difficult times and more importantly to preserve your jobs, wages and benefits to the greatest extent possible.
In May, we announced the formation of two labor-management committees created to deal with competitiveness and pension issues, and they have been meeting throughout the summer. The goal of the committees has been to determine if there is a solution to address pension and work rules in a way that limits further Teamster sacrifice and best protects our jobs, wages, and benefits while creating a financially stable and sustainable employer.
In late August, those committees reported to the Teamsters General Executive Board (GEB) and the full Teamsters National Freight Industry Negotiating Committee (TNFINC), and both bodies authorized the subcommittees to continue discussions with YRCW to explore possible solutions.
YRCW has presented cost savings that we are reviewing to make sure they are necessary to address business needs. However, we are only willing to submit those cost savings for ratification if certain specific conditions are met that help protect your interests, and if the effort supports a comprehensive restructuring that will give the company the best opportunity to not only survive, but thrive, over the long term. Our goal is to help facilitate that restructuring and protect as many Teamster jobs as possible. We do not have a formal agreement, but have been working nonstop following authorization in August from the GEB and the national negotiating committee, and will continue to do so until we have a sustainable YRCW solution that we believe you can ratify.
To be clear, any potential changes to the NMFA will follow the Teamsters Union’s Constitution. The decision on whether to accept any changes will be yours.
We are doing our best to keep you informed, so please try to remain patient as we move through this process one final time. We remain committed to providing you the relevant details as they are finalized following the union’s constitutional process.
Fraternally yours,
Tyson Johnson, Co-Chairman
TNFINC

You would think Tyson would say the TDU article was false...Bend over guys its coming as Tyson said "ONE FINAL TIME"..Yeah for this month:clappy: And remember the decision will be yours'NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES WE MAKE YOU VOTE TO GET IT RIGHT" LOL

Just read the real thing on the YRC board. Tyson is way out of touch with the rest of us. He has no idea about how much everyone is struggling week to week. I can't believe the bs about all the worry, and how hard it is for him to sleep. Listen the bottom line is this, we have given up thousands of dollars each over the past 18 months and sacrificed even more. All this and most of us have continued to do the job the right way and give an honest days work for substandard pay. The regionals as a group are profitable and that is through our efforts. My brother Teamsters it is time to say no to any concessions and stand our ground.

I agree with boston25. With New Penn and Holland consistently showing profitability, there is NO reason why New Penn and Holland Teamsters shouldn't have pension contributions returned January 1, 2011 as voted upon previously. We are stuck with the 15% tax until April 1, 2013 as voted upon previously. Remember how our union leadership helped us through that difficult time we all faced late last summer by reminding us how we would keep voting until "we got it right?" I bet Tyson had no trouble sleeping then. I sympathize with my YRC brothers, but do we all have to continue to take hit after hit because National can't make a profit no matter what they do or sell-off? National and Regional operations are completely different business models. Attempts to return profitability to National by siphoning funds from the Regionals has not worked and will only do damage to the brands in the long run. If management needs any more business advice on how to increase profits and improve employee morale, you know where to find me. Let's keep the negative posting, at least on this board, to a minimum until we all find out what we will be voting on please.

Just read this on the YRC board. More evidence to back up my previous post. The issues at National could easily be corrected quickly with competent leadership that starts at the top. Before you ask "what does this have to do with New Penn", we have all(NP, Holland, and YRC Teamsters) given up 15% in wages and 100% in pension contributions for a full year now and YRC management continues to do things inefficiently and create needless waste. Their lack of accountability is bringing us all down. Thanks KK and stay strong!

The Battle Of Atlanta
OK….I’m sure this will stir it up, but at this point what the hell…..people need to know. After many have called, e-mailed and PM about what is going on in Atlanta, I decided to let you know the facts.

Yes….there are over 400 grievances filed at 402 in Atlanta. Just because you voted to give back a total of 15% in wages and then defer your pension credits for 18 months does NOT mean they can do as they damn well want to with our NMFA.

The majority of the cases are on 2 issues…Management is performing the work of the office clericals who have several on layoff…THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE! The 2nd issue is the Utility drivers who come to 402, and are ONLY to load the freight they bring in to 402 and then load up the freight that should go back to their terminal….unfortunately, the supervisors are making them strip trailers and load other freight on the dock that has NOTHING to do with Utility work with several laid off at the 402 dock.....THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!

Even though the company has paid out a hell of a lot of money for these grievances in the past…they continue to defy the NMFA, and continue to violate the NMFA. The members continue to file dozens of grievances every day on these 2 issues alone.

So now, in thinking they could find another way to break the moral of the members at 402, they filed trumped up charges that the BA attacked a dock supervisor and had the Business Agent from Local 728, Mike D. served with a TRO….Court date is set for sometime in October. The members will not stand for this and have continued filing grievances every day….they will not be broken!

Now “someone” in management is telling the road drivers that the reason they are sitting at home is because of all the grievances being filed on the dock….to this I say BULLSHIT!

This company has pissed the money away in delay pay…..layover pay at hotels and then leaving with empties to home…..sending several drivers to a terminal to pick up the same loads…stupid run arounds.....etc…etc.

You know what I mean….and those in management who are goofing off and reading TruckingBoards instead of doing your jobs, know what I mean!

Let me be perfectly clear….I will NOT even attempt to save this company and try to get those you have screwed over the last 18 months to vote to save your asses the 3rd time….enough is enough! The workers have given it their all, but yet you want them to give more? You know we are going into an election at our local this fall, and you want to think we will bend….we will not!

Even if it was to cost me my re-election, I will not even try to support you on a 3rd bailout, after what management has done to our members and Business Agent Mike D……stop the damned games and cancel the TRO!

Now you want these workers to give you back more….how about letting those who now what needs to be done to move the freight in Atlanta do their jobs and turn this mess around….until you do….there will never be labor peace in Atlanta.

Now what will you do to correct this mess and get the customers taken care of and get the freight picked up?.....KK

Last edited by a moderator:
103.jpg

it ain't how much you make that counts
it's how little you lose..it's about the bottom line..the debt
and that sucks bad

Now what will you do to correct this mess and get the customers taken care of and get the freight picked up?.....KK

Well said (yes I am from a competitor) and the customer is the one "Paying the bills"!!

That has been my argument against using Yellow years back when I was a Traffic Manager (their service SUCKED!!) and now in Management in LTL. New Penn, Holland and Roadway were all companies I utilized a fair amount (but now always because they were higher priced). They were good, but not that good to pay 20-30% more.

Well said (yes I am from a competitor) and the customer is the one "Paying the bills"!!

That has been my argument against using Yellow years back when I was a Traffic Manager (their service SUCKED!!) and now in Management in LTL. New Penn, Holland and Roadway were all companies I utilized a fair amount (but now always because they were higher priced). They were good, but not that good to pay 20-30% more.

I have seen some of the freight that your company delivers :drama: nothing to brag about :f0c36acc20df62e0610seems to me if I wanted to have something shipped I would rather have it delivered in one piece even if it cost a little more... Remember the old saying""you get what you pay for"" :sadwavey::sadwavey:

Like I said: "when I was a Traffic Manager". I had not problem paying a "little more' as you say, but 20-30% more is now "a little". In today's day, I see quite a bit of damage (not just where I am, every company) and that is because everyone is being pushed for time and load factor. I even just saw it by a customer loading one of our spotted trailers. By the time the trailer got back to the terminal, the decked freight they had in the nose was collapsing and falling over.

All I am saying is "take care of the customer!! Priority #1, no matter who you work for!

Although you make a few good points like'' take care of the customer'' :coffee1: your 20 to 30% more ,I think is a little far out there maybe more like 5 to 10% would be a little more believable.. :wavey::wavey:

Although you make a few good points like'' take care of the customer'' :coffee1: your 20 to 30% more ,I think is a little far out there maybe more like 5 to 10% would be a little more believable.. :wavey::wavey:

I looked back through my posts and I guess I should have clarified (SORY) that when I was a TM it was 15 years ago. I had New Penn at 40-45% and I had competitors at 55-65 (I actually had 3 carriers at 68%) and I did not realize how aggressive that for at the time and now see what is going on with 75-85% and many off of old rate bases.

I looked back through my posts and I guess I should have clarified (SORY) that when I was a TM it was 15 years ago. I had New Penn at 40-45% and I had competitors at 55-65 (I actually had 3 carriers at 68%) and I did not realize how aggressive that for at the time and now see what is going on with 75-85% and many off of old rate bases.

Now you see why it will be a long time before we ever get back what we at YRC has given up thanks for the clarification...