ABF | U.E. runs part 2

ragpicker

TB Lurker
Credits
Word came down yesterday that all u.e. runs over 250 miles one way will be eliminated in two weeks here in the northeast. Not just the road/dock runs but also the pups drop and hook runs.Too many service failures is one of the reasons given.So how is that genius move of running u.e 5 days and running everybody right up to 60hrs a week working out? Which is it run like crazy for 5 days or not run at all? Sounds like someone isn't sure what they want. The skill and the will!

Yes, just found out this morning that the Allentown UE and the Cincinnati UE run will no longer come into Greensburg. Too long to make service. Nothing like promising customers two day points when you can only meet that service 60% of the time.

Skill and the Will indeed........Good Luck replacing all those experienced LTL guys in the next couple of years. Company had a chance to build on the experience of the older drivers and dock guys,.......... but they blew that by cutting wages and vacations and scaring away any potential good new hires that might've had a clue about what LTL is all about.......

I used to tell management all the time that you can't teach LTL .........., You can learn it, but you can't teach it............. but it's finally dawned on me that they're not interested in asking me what I mean by that,......... They already have all the "answers" ....... and they don't need to hear what we have to say.......

So how is that genius move of running u.e 5 days and running everybody right up to 60hrs a week working out? Which is it run like crazy for 5 days or not run at all? Sounds like someone isn't sure what they want.
The days of knowing what to do and then doing it are over, anymore it's try it and see if it works, if not let's try something else, and so on. Failed attempts are very costly and it reminds me of the days of the Carolina buyout and their 'quick release' program. But that was the days of old when Robert Young III held the reigns and they went back to what did work in a hurry when that program didn't pan out. Maybe they're working the numbers for those upcoming contract negotiations.

The days of knowing what to do and then doing it are over, anymore it's try it and see if it works, if not let's try something else, and so on. Failed attempts are very costly and it reminds me of the days of the Carolina buyout and their 'quick release' program. But that was the days of old when Robert Young III held the reigns and they went back to what did work in a hurry when that program didn't pan out. Maybe they're working the numbers for those upcoming contract negotiations.
What was this 'quick release' program?

What was this 'quick release' program?
Trailers were thrown together quickly and sent to the breaks with great anticipation that they would load directly to the EOL's from the breaks, there was no stacking involved. It was the biggest disaster I ever saw.

Trailers were thrown together quickly and sent to the breaks with great anticipation that they would load directly to the EOL's from the breaks, there was no stacking involved. It was the biggest disaster I ever saw.

It was during that time that they experimented with increasing the caliber of the freight cannons they were using to load the trucks........

They also looked at raising the dock platforms to 28 feet, setting the trailers on their noses,........ and using bobcats to bulldoze the freight in.......

It was during that time that they experimented with increasing the caliber of the freight cannons they were using to load the trucks........

They also looked at raising the dock platforms to 28 feet, setting the trailers on their noses,........ and using bobcats to bulldoze the freight in.......
So, basically what you're saying is...the same way it is now?

Word came down yesterday that all u.e. runs over 250 miles one way will be eliminated in two weeks here in the northeast. Not just the road/dock runs but also the pups drop and hook runs.Too many service failures is one of the reasons given.So how is that genius move of running u.e 5 days and running everybody right up to 60hrs a week working out? Which is it run like crazy for 5 days or not run at all? Sounds like someone isn't sure what they want. The skill and the will!

ABF pays 35 grand per employee, per year to the UNION for Health & Welfare. Here is why they work you all the OT you want. 35 grand ÷ 36.00 an hour = 972 hours ÷ by 50 weeks = 19.44 hours of OT each week. If they can get 10 people to work just half that time, (10 ours OT) a week that is 5 people they did not have to hire. That is $175,000 they saved in H & W payments by working you in to the ground. About 4200.00 in dues not being paid to the Local. Not to mention 6.5% SS they pay for every dollar earned by each person. Workman’s comp payouts from injury & on & on. ABF needs people to deliver freight. They want to hire as few as possible so they can save millions each year. That way management can afford not only the bonus they receive but keep the fishing & hunting lodges open for the best customers. I wonder if during trucker’s appreciation week anyone got a free trip from Fort Smith, rather than the hamburger & hot dog. I kind of doubt it. Von.

15 goes to the health care side & the 20 grand goes to the pension. Per Brian Buhle Local 135 our Treasurer. And that figure was 5 years ago.
The 15 has good possibilities but I'm not believing that 20, that would just short of be $10/hr.

ABF pays 35 grand per employee, per year to the UNION for Health & Welfare. Here is why they work you all the OT you want. 35 grand ÷ 36.00 an hour = 972 hours ÷ by 50 weeks = 19.44 hours of OT each week. If they can get 10 people to work just half that time, (10 ours OT) a week that is 5 people they did not have to hire. That is $175,000 they saved in H & W payments by working you in to the ground. About 4200.00 in dues not being paid to the Local. Not to mention 6.5% SS they pay for every dollar earned by each person. Workman’s comp payouts from injury & on & on. ABF needs people to deliver freight. They want to hire as few as possible so they can save millions each year. That way management can afford not only the bonus they receive but keep the fishing & hunting lodges open for the best customers. I wonder if during trucker’s appreciation week anyone got a free trip from Fort Smith, rather than the hamburger & hot dog. I kind of doubt it. Von.

I don't ever eat a bite during that week. I just say: "No thanks, I just ate". There ain't a meal on this planet that's worth the family time that's stolen from us by working all the stinky-ass OT that we're basically forced to work. No thank you.

Pension in central states is 68.40 a day this year.
That is over $8/hr, talk about good money thrown after bad...what a shame for you CSPF, NY 707 et al. I hope they get a government bail out.
I don't ever eat a bite during that week. I just say: "No thanks, I just ate". There ain't a meal on this planet that's worth the family time that's stolen from us by working all the stinky-ass OT that we're basically forced to work. No thank you.
Oh driver...what a bad attitude you have. :732:

That is over $8/hr, talk about good money thrown after bad...what a shame for you CSPF, NY 707 et al. I hope they get a government bail out.

Oh driver...what a bad attitude you have. :732:
What's sad is no one is doing a thing about it. And why don't everyone effected not get to vote on companies getting a pass or a buyout on pension funds deferments. Just made a precedents of the union being able to end pension contributions without government action. Smart move! (Sarcasm inferred)

What's sad is no one is doing a thing about it. And why don't everyone effected not get to vote on companies getting a pass or a buyout on pension funds deferments. Just made a precedents of the union being able to end pension contributions without government action. Smart move! (Sarcasm inferred)
It's easy to stand on the bank and watch everyone elses boat get wrecked in the rapids...They should strip all responsible of their nest eggs as well.

The 15 has good possibilities but I'm not believing that 20, that would just short of be $10/hr.
I am just reporting what Brian told me. Now this was based on ABF payment. The YRC cut back payment had already started. But he might have been wrong. Being our Local treasurer I would hope he had it right. von.

Pension in central states is 68.40 a day this year.
At 68.40 per day * 20 days worked a month * 12 = 16,416.00 a year pmt. I have heard the figure of 350.00 per week per employee @ ABF * 4 weeks * 12 months = 16,800.00 per year. Way short of the 35 grand I quoted. I will look in to this. More to follow. Von.