ABF | U.E. runs part 2

I think I would still be a little miffed even if I had not paid dues yet, having hitched the proverbial wagon to the Teamsters union yet having no say in the future of same...
They can voluntarily pay dues and vote. I'm not saying that I would have but they could have if they wanted to

They can voluntarily pay dues and vote. I'm not saying that I would have but they could have if they wanted to
I don't think so. No contractual employer, no membership.
I think I would still be a little miffed even if I had not paid dues yet, having hitched the proverbial wagon to the Teamsters union yet having no say in the future of same...
Do you also think that prospective immigrants should have the right to vote here before they're confirmed American citizens?

Do you also think that prospective immigrants should have the right to vote here before they're confirmed American citizens?

Well.,...Casuals under both of the NMFA's,...... are under contractual language , yet are not eligible to vote in either Local or IBT General elections.

We charge them a month's worth of dues even if they only work one day,....... because of Federal requirements in the LM2 reporting.......Nothing voluntary about that.....

Yet, .......... The proposed National Right To Work law says that you don't have to pay dues and the Union has to cover you....AND... let you vote on contracts. Not sure about elections,........But if you can vote on contracts under RTW, ....I'll bet you can vote in elections, too...

The newly organized without a contract? Not sure.

Also,.....I think they do have a dues obligation from the moment they vote one in....

Well.,...Casuals under both of the NMFA's,...... are under contractual language , yet are not eligible to vote in either Local or IBT General elections.
This one could have exceptions to the rules. A new hire off the street generally will not join the union until they have gained employment and I don't think that working as a casual constitutes 'gaining employment'. However, work three days in my local and dues must be payed...or an objector's fee. If a casual wanted to ante up initiation fees and pay dues they could become a dues paying member before gaining full employment. Additionally, a retiree could continue to work as a casual and keep the dues deduction from their checks and maintain full membership rights, including the right to vote in all elections. A casual could also transfer in from another local. They could also pay the objector's fees, which is almost as much as regular dues. This would be done if one was moonlighting in a 'foreign' local and the local was a stickler for the dues money. Membership in two locals cannot happen for the way business is done by the IBT.
Yet, .......... The proposed National Right To Work law says that you don't have to pay dues and the Union has to cover you....AND... let you vote on contracts. Not sure about elections,........But if you can vote on contracts under RTW, ....I'll bet you can vote in elections, too...
Definitely not elections. Eligibility to vote in union elections is derived from the master membership list for local and international elections and these lists have everyone's status dialed in unless the local is not inputting their data on a monthly basis...and that would be cause for a trusteeship. The international gets their share of our dues money and they want it on time. Don't give Jimmy the Great his cut once and see what happens. And receipts are mandatory per Dept of Labor (DOL).
Also,.....I think they do have a dues obligation from the moment they vote one in....
You bet! Time to pay the piper and he won't mess around.

You might be rite. Don't really know the actual rules on actually being a member. If they accept your money are you a dues paying member? They sent our casual a ballet. He pays dues. But he also worked as a full time ABF employee at another terminal previously in his career.

If they accept your money are you a dues paying member?
Could be, if your initiation fees are paid up. Many locals will work with new hires and take an agreed upon sum of money to get initiation fees. Like the month's dues plus $20 or whatever they agree on. You're not a member in good standing until initiation has been collected and dues caught up.

No I don't, but there's a difference. The prospective immigrant has to wait to be approved by the organization (country) he wants to join. The yet "unrepresented" union member waiting on a contract to vote on, he has approved the organization and has already joined.

In that case if he's not actually a member and isn't required to pay dues until the contract at XPO is presented and voted on, then no he shouldn't be allowed to vote in a national election. But in my opinion if he's paying dues he's a member, contract or no and should be allowed to vote. Dues=skin in the game.

In that case if he's not actually a member and isn't required to pay dues until the contract at XPO is presented and voted on, then no he shouldn't be allowed to vote in a national election. But in my opinion if he's paying dues he's a member, contract or no and should be allowed to vote. Dues=skin in the game.
Yeah, but I doubt that he's paying dues.