ABF | UE/Linehaul

O.D. does economic terminations. No layoffs. Flybynight said they pull files and go from there. I work out of a terminal that hasn’t let anyone go. I can’t say first hand how it goes. Only what I’ve heard or read.

I think as a whole any layoffs or economic terminations are stupid for any employer to do because it jades the whole actual work force. When I ran my own truck I used to haul out of steel mills quite a bit and everyone was in a bad mood and not as productive during layoffs. When I say actual work force I’m speaking of the people who actually do the work, not the ones who sit on an office with climate control and think they do.

As far as health insurance Billy has been around a while and I would think he’d be correct. Does it make it right? No. Also, you’ll never see me defend a company that would treat employees like that. Especially after the record o.r.’s they are bragging about. In my opinion, Old Dominion would be hard to be a city guy for. I always liked P&D better than linehaul but needed the extra money for college tuitions coming up.

Economic termination is firing an employee instead of laying them off. As far as an employee coming back they would be a new hire. I personally wouldn’t darken their doorstep if they economically terminated me. I have posted that I probably would not have even came here had I known that was their thoughts towards the workforce to begin with.

I still have a Peterbilt 379 sitting in my shop that is ready to roll at any given moment. 3 phone calls and a couple emails to get it licensed and insured again. One phone call to Badger Utility and I’ll be pulling a brand new Mac trailer. Times like these sure make it tempting.
Thanks for the info Piano Man. And you are correct saying that is a sorry way to treat the very people that helped OD achieve those record OR numbers. Here at ABF we keep our seniority, pay scale, and vacation progression if we are brought back within five years. After five years of not working, you are removed from the seniority roster. However, if we work even one day during that five year period, you start a fresh five year window from that date.

Those were 1986 White/Volvo. They had Cummins engines. The cab & wiring was no good. ABF also bought Internationals that year. The Farmall was better than the White/Volvo. I think they bought 300 of each that year.
We had a fleet of Volvo's in 2001 with Series 60's. That was one of the best frieght trucks the company ever had. I think they bought 600 that year.. Roadway bought several, I think 200 or 300. ABF kept several in the city fleet for quite a few years.
One reason our guys wouldn't drive them, they wouldn't run but 55 mph.
PIE put on 24.5 tires and turned up the rpm, I never drove but a couple.

The Louisville Fords and current Volvos were/are he best tractors IMHO. Cab, controls, and instrument layout, etc. seems like they were designed with driver comfort and accessibility in mind.
I've never driven enough Volvos to compare, but it will be hard to beat the Louisville.

One reason our guys wouldn't drive them, they wouldn't run but 55 mph.
PIE put on 24.5 tires and turned up the rpm, I never drove but a couple.
I don't remember for sure how many of the Volvo's Roadway bought from ABF but they kept them for quite a while. The Volvo's brought a good price when ABF sold them. They still had a lot of miles left in them. Carolina bought a lot of Louisville's from ABF. They came back home with 24.5 rubber & red paint over green when ABF bought Carolina/Worldway. They were sold immediately.

Seems to me you're forgetting your upbringing.
Have you forgotten the Corbetts, Browns, EQT Macks. WC 22 Whites, KB 11 IHC.
What about a Studebaker?
Breeze, I didn't forget at all. Here's me with one of my early units at Buster Brown before I transferred to Feeders. I originally thought Feeder Driver was the guy who drove the truck load of oats for the horses at UPS. What did I know? :idunno:

PS - I still have that cap.

OldUPS.md.jpeg

Thanks for the info Piano Man. And you are correct saying that is a sorry way to treat the very people that helped OD achieve those record OR numbers. Here at ABF we keep our seniority, pay scale, and vacation progression if we are brought back within five years. After five years of not working, you are removed from the seniority roster. However, if we work even one day during that five year period, you start a fresh five year window from that date.
I am curious how many empoyees come back to ODFL after an 'Economic Termination'. I assume the company pays into state unemployment insurance funds or is the termination considered a discharge with no benefits?

I am curious how many empoyees come back to ODFL after an 'Economic Termination'. I assume the company pays into state unemployment insurance funds or is the termination considered a discharge with no benefits?
I would assume that they could draw their unemployment as they were not terminated due to disciplinary or attendance issues. But, if what BillyLo was saying is true, their insurance would end at midnight of the day they were terminated (economically).
What would suck almost as bad is losing your vacation progression time if you did return. Let’s say you were getting three (3) weeks of vacation when you were received an “economic termination”. When you return in a few months, you are right back to square one on vacation time and have to work a full year from your return to even get a week of vacation. And several years to get back to the three weeks you had before the “economic termination”. Piano Man, if this is incorrect, please correct me my friend.

I don’t honestly have a clue how it works if anyone were to try coming back. I think it is a ridiculous policy on their part instead of doing a temporary layoff and leaving the workers where they were as far as vacation time goes. I haven’t heard of them going out of order anywhere though. Last person hired is all I’ve heard. I heard of one guy transferring to the road board from city with 15 years company time but bottom on board at that terminal for linehaul. It sucks but was a gamble.

I would assume that they could draw their unemployment as they were not terminated due to disciplinary or attendance issues. But, if what BillyLo was saying is true, their insurance would end at midnight of the day they were terminated (economically).
What would suck almost as bad is losing your vacation progression time if you did return. Let’s say you were getting three (3) weeks of vacation when you were received an “economic termination”. When you return in a few months, you are right back to square one on vacation time and have to work a full year from your return to even get a week of vacation. And several years to get back to the three weeks you had before the “economic termination”. Piano Man, if this is incorrect, please correct me my friend.
I would have to really need a job to go back & lose all I had accumulated. If there was an abundant labor pool the company could hire younger men & use 'economic termination' to put older men out on the street.
A group of workers that had been kicked around by a raw deal lke this should be easy to organize.

I would have to really need a job to go back & lose all I had accumulated. If there was an abundant labor pool the company could hire younger men & use 'economic termination' to put older men out on the street.
A group of workers that had been kicked around by a raw deal lke this should be easy to organize.
I've heard the saying many times, " we don't need a union"
I guess that's right.

Management must be in this thread. We are NOT the highest paid in LTL.
Pension?? Maybe… the Teamsters keep “misplacing” funds.
Your 10 top CEOs never go without millions in bonuses and stock options, golden parachutes etc, all on the broken backs of us.
On top of that, your dollar is only worth about ¢.40
The yes men need to step off and we need some chatter about strikes. This company has NEVER reimbursed us from the givebacks

Management must be in this thread. We are NOT the highest paid in LTL.
Pension?? Maybe… the Teamsters keep “misplacing” funds.
Your 10 top CEOs never go without millions in bonuses and stock options, golden parachutes etc, all on the broken backs of us.
On top of that, your dollar is only worth about ¢.40
The yes men need to step off and we need some chatter about strikes. This company has NEVER reimbursed us from the givebacks
I agree with 90% of your post...strike talk this early, to me, is too early only because we should wait to see what is offered, then vote it down....

Breeze, I didn't forget at all. Here's me with one of my early units at Buster Brown before I transferred to Feeders. I originally thought Feeder Driver was the guy who drove the truck load of oats for the horses at UPS. What did I know? :idunno:

PS - I still have that cap.

OldUPS.md.jpeg
No mirrors? Did you have to lean out and look? And what’s up with that 72” box? Was that a Scranton only based truck?
( asking for Local 710 drivers)