Yellow | Union Member Terminated for Failure to Follow Direct Order

realityofitall

TB Regular
Credits
A friend of mine was fired for refusing to answer a direct question from the local rep from the loss prevention department. He is to file a grievance for that. Anything he should write in the grievance for this ?

A friend of mine was fired for refusing to answer a direct question from the local rep from the loss prevention department. He is to file a grievance for that. Anything he should write in the grievance for this ?
Tell him to be very careful about talking about his case to anyone othre than an attorney or his BA. Also he might want to record conversations, especially with any union officer. CYA. In the past union officers have sold a rank & file member down the road if it would help them. Nothing has changed. If the union supplies an attorney for you, remember the attorney works for the union NOT you. In the end the attorney has the best intrest of the person who hired him. von.

I guess a lot depends on what that "direct question" was. A rule of thumb I always went by is to ask if the "question" pertains to disciplinary action?
If the company person refused to answer that - or if he says yes, I would tell him that I need a union steward or BA present as my representative (or at the very least another union "brother" present as a witness (one you can trust and depend on to not cave under pressure from the company attempts to intimidate). But if it's a serious deal, request the BA or Steward. If theis company turd refused to allow a union rep, steward or BA to be present, then the company has a problem.
I think, even in the hostile world of what YRC has become, tou still have your constitutional rights. You should not be assumed guilty of anything simply for refusing to answer a question. Also, I guess it depends on HOW he refused to answer. For example - Did he say someting like "F**K YOU, I'm not going to say anything" or did he say "I respectfully refuse to answer until I have union representation present"
The first refusal is insubordiation - a big no - no. The second one is the way to handle it (even if you REALLY want to choke the turd with his own necktie). Let the union reps handle the sticky situation. That's what they're getting paid the big money to do.
Back when I had a GOOD union BA, he always said, "Let ME do the arguing. They can't fire ME."
If your friend didn't fall for the company turd's attempt to get him to use profanites or threats against him or catch him in a provable lie, then your friend has a very good chance of being rehired with full back pay. Of course that's assuming he has a BA worth his salt or a good attorney.

Last edited: