Estes | union?

This is NOT your fathers trucking industry anymore. In this economy and recession one should be glad they have a job, especially a full-time one, and not calling for a union or comparing benefits vs a union carrier. Unions are a fossil and will not be around much longer as they cost a company tremendous amounts of profits. Sure, there are some things we should be paid for and which we aren't, but in this economy with such high unemployment, it's the company that has the upper hand right now and they will not be increasing benefits or wages very much at the moment. For every driver that quits or is let go, there are probably 10 waiting in line to fill his position.

We are paid very well for what we do, more than your average trucking company, and the economy will get worse before it ever gets better. Therefore, be grateful for what you have, work together and bite your tongue when things don't go your way once in a while as talk of a union is futile as it will never happen.

Very well said Wild Turkey. I'm grateful for what I have here. After having more than one past employer lock the gates on me and then sitting at home wondering what to do next, it's great to be at a stable, profitable employer. For anyone else who's been put thru this, I'm sure you'll agree. For anyone who hasn't, just hope you never have to. You'll get a very rude awakening.

This is NOT your fathers trucking industry anymore. In this economy and recession one should be glad they have a job, especially a full-time one, and not calling for a union or comparing benefits vs a union carrier. Unions are a fossil and will not be around much longer as they cost a company tremendous amounts of profits. Sure, there are some things we should be paid for and which we aren't, but in this economy with such high unemployment, it's the company that has the upper hand right now and they will not be increasing benefits or wages very much at the moment. For every driver that quits or is let go, there are probably 10 waiting in line to fill his position.

We are paid very well for what we do, more than your average trucking company, and the economy will get worse before it ever gets better. Therefore, be grateful for what you have, work together and bite your tongue when things don't go your way once in a while as talk of a union is futile as it will never happen.

I will have to respectfully disagree, my 100 proof whiskey drinking friend. Talk of forming a union is never futile. It is absolutely necessary, and will become more so as time wears on. If a majority of your hard working co workers approve of third party representation, ie. TEAMSTERS, then it will be reality. Pure and simple. The only mistake we made in the west was that we should have held off turning in our cards so that more terminals could have been involved all at once. He will not shut the company down. Oldest threat in the book. He may pull some BS on one or two terminals that are involved, but if there is a whole region involved (that generates a lot of revenue) or if the whole company was voting for Teamster representation at the same time, he would not cut off his revenue source. If he is operating at a 90% o/r currently, then he could support a Teamster contract, and still make profit. He will not cut off his snout in spite of his greed. Your brother always, TE out....