Central Transport | unionize

because unions suck, period. Your day is coming, the only union LTL that will survive with be UPS Freight. YRC is a joke, bleeding red ink and stealing money from Holland,New Penn and Reddaway. ABF still losing money and look term they will need to restructure. Only reason YRC still in business is the union bosses have been cutting deals with the Obama administration.

Wow! And with such hate! The union is only as strong as it's members, and the more company :butt kiss: that are looking to be in a union for protection the worse off we are. By the way I have never supported Hoffa and I've voted no to every give back that was mailed to me. I don't even agree with them politically, but at least I have a chance to voice my opinion by voting. Something I couldn't do at a non union carrier.

I used to be in 2 different union shops (non ltl) one the local was so "strong" that they bargained in a no strike clause and the other had non union drivers driving the exact same equipment as union drivers (one on days the other on nights) until the union boys retired or moved on.

that post that you're referring to is just an honest way of putting it. the unions are asking for handouts and take concessions like i take dumps.

union bosses have been cutting deals with the Obama administration.[/QUOTE said:
You have been sniffing too much Faux Lies Glue. Turn off the TeeVee and go outside. Get some fresh air.

Well, if that happens I can always go back out and get a lousy trucking job at any of the non-union carriers that need somebody to abuse cheap.

I thought we had already agreed that the unions aren't "perfect", but its still better to have "some" representation than none ! You are 100% on your own when you have an issue at a non-union shop and you know it and so do I cause I've been there.

The only time a driver thinks about being in a Union is a half-hour after he's been fired, and a week after he's retired......

I just left vitran a few months ago & glad I did!
Screw that sinking ship!!!
Glad I went to a union line!!!
As for the people that have nothing but bad to say about the union
U need to be drug tested!
I've seen the good & the bad of the union growing up.
More good than bad & now me and my kids get to see my father sit on his front porch collecting 3200 a month after taxes!
But whatever.
I wish all of you the best I really do!
get away from there before they close the gates & it puts you in a bigger bind than you already are!

Bruno, YRC going under would only cause short term chaos in the shipping/economy. There is enough capacity in the LTL industry to absorb YRC business. I do not think there is any LTL carrier out there operating at maximum capacity. Take a look at some of the CT terminals, many of them are twice the size needed for current business levels. There would be about a 2-4 week disruption until the other carriers were able to hire additional drivers. And as far as unionizing, read a little history on how the Morouns broke the union at Central Transport. Without the union, there is no doubt that wages in benefits in this industry would not be where they are today. And because of that, I respect the hard working drivers that fought to get wages and benefits where they are today. However, with that being said, like the home telephone, the need is almost extinct. With that being said, there is one thing that keeps non-union carriers honest, and that is the threat of the union. Therefore, there still is a need for the union, but now is not the time to do so a Vitran.

Unionize what??
Gentlemen, we have a dead breed of hungry people who just want a job to feed their family and keep a roof over their head. I've been the "Casual Worker" in a "Unionized Company" and had to pay union dues out of a paltry pay with "No Benefits" or representation as a "Casual Employee". Get a grip as it's a dying venue to be "Unionized" without the benefit of the "Union squad" coming in to have your back! It's not like the "70's or 80's" when "Union" had counted as a force. Get over it or "Start a New Force"!

Great post buffalo1. The union is good if you've been in the union for at least 10 years and can get full time, and it is good if your company is healthy and making money. Problem is, too many union companies cannot compete with the non unions because of their work rules and costly benefit packages.

Bruno, YRC going under would only cause short term chaos in the shipping/economy. There is enough capacity in the LTL industry to absorb YRC business. I do not think there is any LTL carrier out there operating at maximum capacity. Take a look at some of the CT terminals, many of them are twice the size needed for current business levels. There would be about a 2-4 week disruption until the other carriers were able to hire additional drivers. And as far as unionizing, read a little history on how the Morouns broke the union at Central Transport. Without the union, there is no doubt that wages in benefits in this industry would not be where they are today. And because of that, I respect the hard working drivers that fought to get wages and benefits where they are today. However, with that being said, like the home telephone, the need is almost extinct. With that being said, there is one thing that keeps non-union carriers honest, and that is the threat of the union. Therefore, there still is a need for the union, but now is not the time to do so a Vitran.

When you say there is nearly no need for a union are you saying the industry has learned it's lesson, and will keep wages high? I think once union have been crushed drivers we will see stagnation at best-decreases most likely. These companies can, off the record, fix wages and agree to not pay more than 30 cents a mile and what will we do? we will take it. The forces behind capitalism never "learn".

Great post buffalo1. The union is good if you've been in the union for at least 10 years and can get full time, and it is good if your company is healthy and making money. Problem is, too many union companies cannot compete with the non unions because of their work rules and costly benefit packages.

Starting wages with the give backs and tier wage scale are lower then in some such as Old Dominion. Also there is no such thing as the perpetual casual any longer. It's 30 days and you're in.