Central Transport | vitran l driver killed

vijax

TB Lurker
Credits
heard a vitran driver was killed in an accident thursday afternoon in bedford,pa. on the turnpike. my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

heard a vitran driver was killed in an accident thursday afternoon in bedford,pa. on the turnpike. my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

He was a P&D driver on light duty doing day line hauls . Very nice guy, recently married.
From the local paper:
By THE DAILY AMERICAN

6:06 p.m. EDT, May 3, 2012
A- | A+
A fatal tractor-trailer accident on the Pennsylvania Turnpike caused a significant detour for those traveling to Somerset Thursday afternoon.

State police said the driver of a tractor-trailer was traveling west in the right lane at milepost 140 in Harrison Township, Bedford County, when his vehicle left the roadway and traveled onto the berm, striking a cement barrier. The vehicle veered back onto the roadway, crossed both lanes of travel and struck a cement barrier on the left side of the roadway. The driver, whose name was not released Thursday, was pronounced dead at the scene by the Bedford County coroner.

Turnpike Commission spokesman Carl DeFebo said the vehicle was engulfed in flames.

Westbound traffic was re-routed starting at the Breezewood exit. Motorists exited the turnpike at Breezewood and then could re-enter the turnpike at New Stanton or Somerset. The detour created a backlog of traffic on East Main Street in Somerset.

Fire departments from Bedford, Everett and Shawnee Valley responded to the accident. Bedford ambulance also assisted at the scene.

DeFebo said the westbound lanes reopened around 6:30 p.m. after investigators and emergency responders cleared the scene.

and all of this stuff happens after corporate hands out a ton of paperwork on safety. hopefully the equipment gets investigated along with the driver.

I Last worked with Chris at Con-way freight (formerly Conway central express CCX) West Chester Pa. in 2006, when I lived back east. He had a lot of energy and a great sense of humor. Hopefully his family and wife can cope and heal from this tragic accident. Truck driving is in the top 10 most dangerous jobs. I say a prayer everyday before and after my day at work. See ya Christopher, and thanks for the pleasure while working with you, hope your in a better place, where we can have fun again on the dock, and making deliveries.