ODFL | Wage and Benefit Meeting

mwk39

TB Lurker
Credits
Drivers and fellow colleagues,

Wages across the USA are increasing exponentially. Fast food workers are making $10-$15 an hour or more and factories are starting people at $20 or more with zero experience and they still can't find people.

This is NOT the year to settle on a meager 3% raise. If they try and pull that bullshit we need to get LOUD! The prices of everything are skyrocketing.

Anything under 5% is completely a slap in the face this year.

Wages across the USA are increasing exponentially. Fast food workers are making $10-$15 an hour or more and factories are starting people at $20 or more with zero experience and they still can't find people.

This is NOT the year to settle on a meager 3% raise. If they try and pull that ******** we need to get LOUD! The prices of everything are skyrocketing.

Ok, good luck you talking about OD they could care less about what you think, OD is a place where they do t pay you OT till after 60 and if you even get close as 55 hrs they make sure they send your ass home. So if you guys get 3% you would either take it or get another gig. That simple.

This is NOT the year to settle on a meager 3% raise. If they try and pull that ******** we need to get LOUD! The prices of everything are skyrocketing.

Agree 100%.
Chicago's minimum wage is $15. And we are only at 31.65 here. This is BS.

Agreed to many companies now paying more with overtime after 8 or 40

od needs to step it up and add some incentives like overtime pay and a good raise they are having real hard time hiring currently better take care of what they got

Ok, good luck you talking about OD they could care less about what you think, OD is a place where they do t pay you OT till after 60 and if you even get close as 55 hrs they make sure they send your ass home. So if you guys get 3% you would either take it or get another gig. That simple.
What a real comment. I guess od employees could go on strike. Ha. Ha.

I'm sure OD feels the same way.
Ok dood whatever. Funny thing is they are desperate to find drivers on the Reading and Phoenixville terminals, they have contacted me twice about those positions, drivers are leaving left and right there, haha, I told them they can shove it.

Last edited:
Agreed the usual is not acceptable. Same thing goes for this camera BS that we were told would never happen, stop laying down and taking it, speak up band together.
Speak up, band together and…dare I say it…organize. Good LTL drivers, such as yourselves, are DAMN hard to find! With this current labor shortage, there may never be a better time.

I agree with you Mogotron!! I'm not sure why OD driver's think they have a say in wages and benefits or anything in that matter. You're non- union and the company has 100% control of everything. Whatever the company decides to give you is what you'll get period.

Speak up, band together and…dare I say it…organize. Good LTL drivers, such as yourselves, are DAMN hard to find! With this current labor shortage, there may never be a better time.
I am from the camp that if 90% of the LTL industry was organized by the Teamsters we’d all be better off. On that note, all we are currently seeing is even after funding our own retirement savings and healthcare we are still netting more than the Teamster drivers are nowadays. Jimmy Hoffa Jr. has not impressed any of us. YRCW is owned by the taxpayers, and ABF doesn’t pay enough to make a jump. UPS PARCEL blows us all out of the water. We get it. UPS FREIGHT is TFI now, so who knows what will happen there. If XPO gets more terminals organized and FedEx Freight keeps poking the bear (ticking off employees) and they start a union push, we might all see the tide turn. I personally think being non-union at O.D. is currently better than being Union at Yellow now.

I am from the camp that if 90% of the LTL industry was organized by the Teamsters we’d all be better off. On that note, all we are currently seeing is even after funding our own retirement savings and healthcare we are still netting more than the Teamster drivers are nowadays. Jimmy Hoffa Jr. has not impressed any of us. YRCW is owned by the taxpayers, and ABF doesn’t pay enough to make a jump. UPS PARCEL blows us all out of the water. We get it. UPS FREIGHT is TFI now, so who knows what will happen there. If XPO gets more terminals organized and FedEx Freight keeps poking the bear (ticking off employees) and they start a union push, we might all see the tide turn. I personally think being non-union at O.D. is currently better than being Union at Yellow now.
Some interesting information there. I can’t speak for current numbers at ABF, as I retired 3 years ago. When I left, I think our hourly wage was $24.68/hr. We got OT after 8 hours, and OT was there for the taking. OD pays OT after 50? 60 in some states?…so that could be considered a ‘wash’ (again, I’m using 2018 numbers). As for Health & Welfare…if you paid one single cent out of your paycheck, then you paid more than ABF employees. Same for retirement…ABF contributed $8/hour worked, capped at 2080 hours. You do the math. On the ‘down’ side, all those benefits cost us $62/month in Union dues. A steal by any definition. It boils down to choice. If the OD employees feel an organization drive is necessary, they’ll step up. If everyone is happy with how things are or, more importantly, where things are going, then there’s no need for representation.

Some interesting information there. I can’t speak for current numbers at ABF, as I retired 3 years ago. When I left, I think our hourly wage was $24.68/hr. We got OT after 8 hours, and OT was there for the taking. OD pays OT after 50? 60 in some states?…so that could be considered a ‘wash’ (again, I’m using 2018 numbers). As for Health & Welfare…if you paid one single cent out of your paycheck, then you paid more than ABF employees. Same for retirement…ABF contributed $8/hour worked, capped at 2080 hours. You do the math. On the ‘down’ side, all those benefits cost us $62/month in Union dues. A steal by any definition. It boils down to choice. If the OD employees feel an organization drive is necessary, they’ll step up. If everyone is happy with how things are or, more importantly, where things are going, then there’s no need for representation.
just my opinion but the result would be same if i went to the ABF and tried to suggest they de-certify to receive more hourly pay. Corp office is very clear if you want union go there.

just my opinion but the result would be same if i went to the ABF and tried to suggest they de-certify to receive more hourly pay. Corp office is very clear if you want union go there.
Not surprised. But, it’s a (semi) free country. We all have a voice and a choice. It’s no accident those two words rhyme. I have several friends who work for OD. They are happy for the most part.

My brother works at ABF at Milwaukee. We’ve compared numbers. When I was an o/o paying 100% out of pocket for health ins. it was still pretty even. I ran local at the end, comparable schedule to a p&d guy. As linehaul at O.D. compared to the numbers he’s got, the linehaul guys are all from South Chicago, we are right there with them. I’m not anti-union at all, my dad is a retired Teamsters member, my brother is a current Teamster, my brother in law is IBEW. The only perk I honestly can see though about being a Teamster is the grievance procedures if you get wronged. In the 1970’s and 80’s Teamster jobs were way better. Times have changed, in my humble opinion.

Now it is no comparison, I am linehaul and he is a city guy. I’ll probably have to lend him money to make his Duramax payment next contract time. Lol, now wait and see how long before he chimes in.

It's very simple, If your not happy with OD then leave, if you do not work here then it doesn't concern you so don't bash the company, I've worked 3 LTL companies including ABF this is the best job I've ever had,=. No i will not argue points with you, you can respond to my comment and but if you get to irate i will ban you from TB

You are close there T206. Our current hourly pay at ABF is $26.21 per hour. Our current Health Care is paid $10.85 per hour. And our current Pension is paid $8.55 per hour. Time-and-a-half after 8 hours per day or 40 hours per week. Double time for all hours on 7th day. Double time on holidays plus holiday pay (basically triple time). And all for the low, low cost of $64.00 per month. And please don't think I am trying to bash your company. I am just updating T206's numbers as he has been retired for three years now.