ODFL | Wage and benefit meeting

Have you ever seen or heard of anyone actually receiving overtime pay? All of the guys I know never go over 49 hours (they used to get up to 60 before overtime was announced). Once they get close to 49 they're being recalled back to the yard and sent home for the rest of the week
Tried telling these guys be careful what they wish for about the overtime after 50 last year. They swore up-and-down they would get over 50 no problem….. 😒

Most of the city guys I talk to you definitely make a less and 50 hours a week, some were only getting just around 35-38 over the winter . Hopefully next year improves on volume and they get it.

Exactly.I have heard of some of the small terminals paying ..But,most larger breakbulks you off the clock at 49.5. 😂😆
What’s funny ((and rather absurd) is that they were actually paying out more in real dollars working a guy 60 hours a week. I know freight is down and most barns are overstaffed, but it’ll swing around again and they’ll be blown out with freight. What then? Hire more drivers, pay out more in benefits just to avoid paying that dreaded bad word OVERTIME? In the words of Ron Burgundy, that’s just dumb…

What’s funny ((and rather absurd) is that they were actually paying out more in real dollars working a guy 60 hours a week. I know freight is down and most barns are overstaffed, but it’ll swing around again and they’ll be blown out with freight. What then? Hire more drivers, pay out more in benefits just to avoid paying that dreaded bad word OVERTIME? In the words of Ron Burgundy, that’s just dumb…
That’s OD..lol

I hope it picks up but I doubt it'll happen before spring if not spring of 25.In the last couple of months my 580 miles run has been reduced to 330 because I never get to do 2nd leg of it due to no freight. Central insists there's no freight anywhere. Who in the hell can support a family on 1500 miles a week?

Currently 35.35 before the raise in California. Been getting about 55 hours a week. But I'm a late start with strap. Usually do swaps in the late evening.

Would like to see a little more.

I know it's complicated but I see the stock at $400+ and wonder WTH.

That and hope for another split. Hard to buy more stock on the 401k with such an inflated price.

Currently 35.35 before the raise in California. Been getting about 55 hours a week. But I'm a late start with strap. Usually do swaps in the late evening.

Would like to see a little more.

I know it's complicated but I see the stock at $400+ and wonder WTH.

That and hope for another split. Hard to buy more stock on the 401k with such an inflated pr

Then run Linehaul if you want more money.

Yeah, I get it. You’re still making less than potential at those hours and working harder to do it. My gross this week was $2621 and talking home $1985 working 55 hours on the current pay rate in the gulf cost. I’ll be grossing a little over $2700 and taking home roughly $2050-$2100 on a 55 hour week just working my 5 days on the new pay rate. You have federal and state tax in California, working like a dog to make a check. You’d only gross roughly $2,102 on a 55 hour week with the pay increase.

IMG_3715.md.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, I get it. You’re still making less than potential at those hours and working harder to do it. My gross this week was $2621 and talking home $1985 working 55 hours on the current pay rate in the gulf cost. I’ll be grossing a little over $2700 and taking home roughly $2050-$2100 on a 55 hour week just working my 5 days on the new pay rate. You have federal and state tax in California, working like a dog to make a check. You’d only gross roughly $2,102 on a 55 hour week with the pay increase.

IMG_3715.md.jpeg
Nice if you to provide proof. Just curious, but are you at a terminal in Texas?

Yeah I saw that. At our pay rate that’s a 70 hour week, unless Dallas pays more than other terminals.
Linehaul. Not city. I told him to switch to Linehaul for more money and less work. Currently $0.7688/mile and $2.10 hook and drop $3.65 fuel. $0.7958 on the new pay scale.

City top out is $33.05 and will increase to $34.25 September 1st

Last edited:
There are two corporate philosophies.

Send everyone home before overtime starts, and hire more people.

Let everyone work as many hours as they want, and hire fewer people.

It all depends on the cost of benefits, whether a new employee costs the company more than some overtime.

There are two corporate philosophies.

Send everyone home before overtime starts, and hire more people.

Let everyone work as many hours as they want, and hire fewer people.

It all depends on the cost of benefits, whether a new employee costs the company more than some overtime.

By my math the overtime costs less. I don't think I'm missing anything, but it's possible that I am.

By my math the overtime costs less. I don't think I'm missing anything, but it's possible that I am.
That's what I say. But my terminal people think it is better to miss some pickups on a Thursday. We going to get it Friday or Monday. Overtime is evil. Too close to 50? No more work see you tomorrow.