Yellow | Wage progression question...Please help clarify

Roadie5000

TB Lurker
Credits
My question is this.....

I started at 75% of top rate, then in March I was bumped to 80% per contract when I got my year in.

the new contract states...

Effective April 1, 2008, all regular
employees hired on or after that date and employees who are in progression
shall receive the following hourly and/or mileage rates of pay:

(a) Effective first (1st) day of employment - eighty-five percent (85%) of
the current rate

(b) Effective first (1st) day of employment plus one (1) one year - ninety
(90%) of the current rate

My paycheck still reflects 80%....should I be at 90% or not? I was told that the new progression was for employees hired on or after April 1, 2008....this would basically mean that a new hire would be making 5% more than me...even with over 1 year of time in.

Thanks!!

Progression

My question is this.....

I started at 75% of top rate, then in March I was bumped to 80% per contract when I got my year in.

the current rate

My paycheck still reflects 80%....should I be at 90% or not? I was told that the new progression was for employees hired on or after April 1, 2008....this would basically mean that a new hire would be making 5% more than me...even with over 1 year of time in.

Thanks!!
Acording to the Underlined and bold this would apply to you.So yes, you should be at the higher rate.

A. CDL Qualified Driver or Mechanics Effective April 1, 2008, all regular employees hired on or after that date and employees who are in progression shall receive the following hourly and/or mileage rates of pay:
(a) Effective first (1st) day of employment - eighty-five percent (85%) of the current rate.
(b) Effective first (1st) day of employment plus one (1) year - ninety percent (90%) of the current rate.
(c) Effective first (1st) day of employment plus two (2) years – ninety five percent (95%) of the current rate
(d) Effective first (1st) day of employment plus three (3) years – one hundred percent (100%) of the current rate

My son is at 342 (K.C.) and was told that "THEY" will stay under the progresion rate that "THEY" were hired under. Mustache Retired Roadway:smilie_132:

Progression

My son is at 342 (K.C.) and was told that "THEY" will stay under the progresion rate that "THEY" were hired under. Mustache Retired Roadway:smilie_132:

I copied that from the NMFA.
Our local President said, during our contract meetings, that if you were in progression you would go to the higher of the two.

Did your son talk with his BA?

ok real simple this is how it works.

you started in march 2007 at 75%, march 2008 you went to 80 %, on april 1, 2008 you should have gone to 90 %, then in march 2009 you will be at 100%. This is from a memo that i got on this from YRC as far as your concerned its the word of God. That is exactly how it works trust me i know, i am also still in wage progression and did much research on this.

West Coast

Out here we are having the same problem. Basically we will have to grieve it. But don't worry, once they settle this it will be retro I am sure? :funky:

ok real simple this is how it works.

you started in march 2007 at 75%, march 2008 you went to 80 %, on april 1, 2008 you should have gone to 90 %, then in march 2009 you will be at 100%. This is from a memo that i got on this from YRC as far as your concerned its the word of God. That is exactly how it works trust me i know, i am also still in wage progression and did much research on this.

Can you e mail me a copy of that memo MasterBlaster? I sure could use it to show my local

Thats how I thought it worked as well......hope this gets cleared up quickly, in the meantime I am losing over 2 bucks per hour because of this. :chairshot:

My question is this.....

the current rate

Thanks!!

Be careful what you wish for here. The wage progression you are currently on (old contract) only takes two years to reach full scale where as the new contract takes three years. Under the old contract you will be at 90% in Sept. '08 and 100% in March '09. Under the new contract you would stay at 90% until March '09, then 95% from March of 2009 until March of 2010 and would not reach 100% until March of 2010. That is of course if your hire date was Marck of 2007. If you put a pencil to it I think you will see that you are better off under the old contract language in your situation. It may cost you a few dollars a week now, but over the next two years will be much better off under the language that you were hired under (old contract).

Be careful what you wish for here. The wage progression you are currently on (old contract) only takes two years to reach full scale where as the new contract takes three years. Under the old contract you will be at 90% in Sept. '08 and 100% in March '09. Under the new contract you would stay at 90% until March '09, then 95% from March of 2009 until March of 2010 and would not reach 100% until March of 2010. That is of course if your hire date was March of 2007. If you put a pencil to it I think you will see that you are better off under the old contract language in your situation. It may cost you a few dollars a week now, but over the next two years will be much better off under the language that you were hired under (old contract).

I confer. Bite the bullet now and reach 100% a year sooner. Problem is, if we know this, so does YRC. That may be why they included the language to include employees already on progression. Take this concern to your BA. It's advantageous for YRC to keep you at a lower rate as long as possible

Be careful what you wish for here. The wage progression you are currently on (old contract) only takes two years to reach full scale where as the new contract takes three years. Under the old contract you will be at 90% in Sept. '08 and 100% in March '09. Under the new contract you would stay at 90% until March '09, then 95% from March of 2009 until March of 2010 and would not reach 100% until March of 2010. That is of course if your hire date was Marck of 2007. If you put a pencil to it I think you will see that you are better off under the old contract language in your situation. It may cost you a few dollars a week now, but over the next two years will be much better off under the language that you were hired under (old contract).

That's not how it was explained in our contract meeting.
A Employee will stay on track to hit top rate when he/she is supposed to (Two years) if hired before April 1 2008.
They will go to the higher progression rate as of April1 2008 so as to prevent a newbie off the street from making more than them.

That's not how it was explained in our contract meeting.
A Employee will stay on track to hit top rate when he/she is supposed to (Two years) if hired before April 1 2008.
They will go to the higher progression rate as of April1 2008 so as to prevent a newbie off the street from making more than them.

You could be right on this one but I am not sure as it was not explained to me that way. Be prepared to file a grievance on it as I doubt that the companies are going to be willing to give you the best deal from both the old and new contracts.

Progression

You could be right on this one but I am not sure as it was not explained to me that way. Be prepared to file a grievance on it as I doubt that the companies are going to be willing to give you the best deal from both the old and new contracts.

If you think about it why should a senior employee be making less than a new hire?
And why should that senior employee be forced to fall into a different progression (Three years)than that which he was hired under?

If you think about it why should a senior employee be making less than a new hire?
And why should that senior employee be forced to fall into a different progression (Three years)than that which he was hired under?

I totally agree with you, however after dealing with these employers I can assure you that they are going to try and get what is best for the company even if it puts you below a junior man pay wise. These companies will rarely do what is best for the employees which is why we need the union to help protect our rights. I am not saying that the employer will do this, but be prepared to file in case they do.

Progression

I totally agree with you, however after dealing with these employers I can assure you that they are going to try and get what is best for the company even if it puts you below a junior man pay wise. These companies will rarely do what is best for the employees which is why we need the union to help protect our rights. I am not saying that the employer will do this, but be prepared to file in case they do.

I agree with you there!:1036316054:
It is sad that they just can't do the right thing right from the get go?
I guess that they maybe hoping that not all will file or even think about it?
That's where sites like this one come in very useful.
We can all be on the same page and keep one another informed.:1036316054:

if this hellps any one,was at abf in ny sold my house moved out west got hired on in august 2007,was at 75 percent scale. under new contract cdl drivers go to 85 percent april 1 2008. reguard less of progression.if you are hire be for april 1 2008 when u r there 1 year you go too 90 percent then u stay at your pro gression.til two years.after takes as u know three year,

sorry bad speller, if u our hired after,4/1/08 u go to 90 percent at one year but takes 3 years too make full scale,got my check 4/1/08 and pay rate was for 85 percent not 75

Done deal....Was just informed that because I was already in progression I should be at 90%.....not 80%
..... Ends up being $2.28 per hour more...... also getting retro pay back to April 1st

Thanks for all the help guys....hope this helps any others that are in the same situation as I was....

Done deal....Was just informed that because I was already in progression I should be at 90%.....not 80%
..... Ends up being $2.28 per hour more...... also getting retro pay back to April 1st

Thanks for all the help guys....hope this helps any others that are in the same situation as I was....

Is it going to take you until March of 2010 to reach full scale now? Because the new contract calls for a starting rate of 85% then goes to 90% after one year, 95% after two years, and then full scale after three years. The old contract would have only taken you two years to reach full scale which means you would have been at full scale in March of 2009 intead of 2010. If so then this means that you will loose roughly $1.14 per hour from March of 2009 until March of 2010 because you will only be at 95% because of the three year progression. So you may get $2.28 more per hour for the next 4 to 5 months, but you will loose $1.14 per hour for a full year at the end.

I will still be under the 2 yr progression.....was told only those that hired in after 4-1-08 would take 3.

so I will be at 90% until March of 2009:funky:

I was hired under the old contract and thus I stay on that 2 yr progression. I go to scale in just a few months and I'm currently at 90%.Nothing has changed for me. I was also told that yes there could be new hires come in and make more than some senior guys, but the trade off is it takes them longer to get to scale. I don't agree with it, but that is why I voted NO on this contract. If you don't like this and you voted yes then blame yourself and the other spinelss folks out there. Bottom line as told to myself and others is that you go by contract you were hired under.