Yellow | was buying roadway a bad deal for us?

mud_cat

TB Lurker
Credits
well looking at the hystory of our used to be company, i see we have been in this spot many times before.buying failing companies and preying for profit.

yellow is known every since it was a cab company to make bad buisness choices. we have come full circle.

1951: Yellow declares bankruptcy.

1965: Yellow acquires Watson-Wilson doubling its size. Watson-Wilson had not kept up with technology advances and changes in the industry, and by the early 1960s was failing Transportation System.

Adley Express in 1973, Republic Freight Systems in 1975, and Braswell Motor Freight in 1977.

Yellow started Overland Energy Company in 1976, which lost some $60 million

By the end of 1981, Yellow had laid off 20 percent of its workers. Yellow's profits continued to fall through 1983.

Yellow entered Mexico in 1991, forming Yellow Freight Mexicana, and further increased its Canadian presence.

In 1992, Yellow bought the ailing Preston Trucking Company for $24 million and the assumption of that company's $116 million in debts and loans. After restructuring, including a temporary 9 percent pay cut to its workers, Preston was profitable again by 1993.
1992, Yellow formed a Texas subsidiary, Yellow Transportation, extending its regional business in that important state. Significantly, Yellow Transportation leased its trucks and hired only non-union drivers. In 1993, the company acquired Saia Motor Freight Line, .

1998: Yellow acquires Action Express and and Jevic Transportation and sells Preston Trucking.

Yellow Corporation created a regional holding company, SCS Transportation, based in Kansas City, Mo. SCS Transportation, Inc. (SCST) had two operating subsidiaries - Saia and Jevic Transportation. SCST was spun off and on October 1, 2002 became an independent, publicly traded company on the NASDAQ. In 2006 SCST announced the successful sale of Jevic Transportation to a private investment group.

2003 Yellow Corp buys Roadway for $1.1 billion

2005 YRC purchased USF Corp. for $1.2 billion

we are now broke! again

U are So Right

And there you have it!!!!Yellow Freights top management did exactly as it has done in past.Buy a company run it into the ground and still have nothing to show for it!!!!! Blame it on yellows management haha

Yellow buying Roadway was a bad deal for Roadway. It's employees, not it's stockholders, who were paid a nice premium. Roadway had a very nice portfolio of companies that were good at what they did and left them alone.

yupper it sure sucks for us ex roadway guys .
id rather be the best than the biggest any time

Yes bad deal for Roadway employees ,whatever Yellow touches it destroys the company:ranting2:

As a former Preston Employee I ran as far as I could from Yellow and they still got me again for the second time.

There is only one way to stop Yellow ( NO )

Yellow buying Roadway was a bad deal for Roadway. It's employees, not it's stockholders, who were paid a nice premium. Roadway had a very nice portfolio of companies that were good at what they did and left them alone.
if roadway was a great money making company, why didnt they say no to being bought out?

they were an over extended top heavy company when they were bought out. they had old equipment, no technology, and garbage for freight. they were on their way to where they are now, on the way out the door allong with yellow.

Yellow took out a loan to buy Roadway and USF they didnt have the money laying around. We all know that you should not buy things you cant afford! Roadway was a profitable company. They had old equipment but it was paid for. Roadway owned all of their terminals unlike Yellow that leases everything. Roadway had a CEO that knew how to run a trucking company. Zollars is the reason YRC is in this mess.

mud cat you are cut off from the yellow kool-aid .
we made a profit every year and the reason we were sold was because a couple years earlier we went from a private owned company to public trading . the stock holders seen the quick buck and jumped on it and now we are all paying the price for zollars greed .

Yellow is the kiss of death

I agree that Yellow buying Roadway was bad for BIG R. Yellow buying USF was REAL bad for Holland. Yellow has put the kiss of death on every union carrier that they purchase. It is a damn shame that the management of Yellow has just about run three union companies in the ground. We the workers along with all YRC stockholders pay the price while idiots like dollar bill and his flunkies continue to draw exorbitant salaries for continuing to make mistake after mistake. Then we add into the mix baby Hoffa and Tyson with thier concept of worker sacrifice while they continue to feed at the trough. They are no better than the YRC top management. They are all short sighted, greedy SOB's that have no compassion for the working man and his family. They should all go to hell for the suffering that they have put thousands of families through.

They should have immediately merged Yellow and Roadway together after the merger and used the savings to pay down debt.
Had they done that, they could easily have ridden out this storm.

I'm former Yellow and I'm really failing to understand the hostility between former Yellow and former Roadway guys. At this point it really doesn't matter. None of us (drivers) have anything to do with why things are the way they are. I think we can all agree these mergers, aquisitions or whatever you want to call them have been bad for all of us. Enough with tthe hypotheticals already. I've been laidoff since April first and its been rough but there is life after YRC. I don't realistically think I'll ever get called back. I guess my point is, at this point we're all screwed anyway you look at it and its all thanks to a few idiots who work at corporate hq.

well said ftaf that horse has been beaten to death by now . good luck to you and lets hope we can all find life after yrc ,prosper and for a change be happy

Well when you have guy's like mud cat asking if Roadway was a good buy for Yellow it makes me kind of angry. The reason we are all in this mess is because Yellow's CEO is trying to break the union. Why would you even question Roadway as the problem.

the drivers dockman the office the freight it's all the same it didn't matter who haul it roadway//yellow. it's the dumb a## at the top of this mess and the stockholders that let this happen. they didn't have to agree to a big buy out to keep him. no one to blame there but the stockholders they vote it in for him. and they let him run two good company s into the ground because of it.

Well when you have guy's like mud cat asking if Roadway was a good buy for Yellow it makes me kind of angry. The reason we are all in this mess is because Yellow's CEO is trying to break the union. Why would you even question Roadway as the problem.
I'm not saying Roadway employees don't have reason to be pissed off. I'm saying we all do and that to go back and forth blaming each other does no good. I called out the Yellow guys that are stirring this up too.

As a Roadway driver I would like to take this opportunity to apoligize(spelling?) to our Canadian brothers at Reimer and all the New Penn people, both respected franchises in there areas of operation, that in being aquired by Roadway really ended up being the innocent victims in this tragedy.