ODFL | Well here goes....

How are you enjoying it this week Song??

It's been pretty good! Surprisingly I found out I still enjoy peddling freight. I've been doing volumes mostly but yesterday they put me out doing multiple pickups after I delivered a volume. They keep acting surprised that I know my way around. They keep putting me in areas I worked a lot in for Con-way.

My little girl gave me a wakeup call. A few weeks ago she told me she wished I would go back to Con-way so I wouldn't have to be gone. So I came off the road.

Dear Lord, you know it's BAD when your family wants you back at Con-Job.

Do they bid more than once a year there at OD? I'm stuck in a linehaul bid here at Con-Job until January. Stupid me thought I should bid linehaul and make more money. Totally not worth it...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I don't know how often we bid, but you can't jump back and forth from the city to the road like you can at Con-job. If you go from one to the other you go to the bottom of the seniority board.

It was rough being gone, although part of me enjoyed the lifestyle. Definitely enjoyed the money. I made the right decision for my family for sure but time will tell as to whether it's what I want long-term.

I don't know how often we bid, but you can't jump back and forth from the city to the road like you can at Con-job. If you go from one to the other you go to the bottom of the seniority board.

It was rough being gone, although part of me enjoyed the lifestyle. Definitely enjoyed the money. I made the right decision for my family for sure but time will tell as to whether it's what I want long-term.
I've heard that about jumping from city to linehaul you go to the bottom of the board. Fed-Ex and Estes are like that too, which is a huge load of crap. Con-Way definitely handles it the correct way. If I want to switch boards, there's absolutely no reason that a guy with less time in than me should get a better bid...

I've heard that about jumping from city to linehaul you go to the bottom of the board. Fed-Ex and Estes are like that too, which is a huge load of crap. Con-Way definitely handles it the correct way. If I want to switch boards, there's absolutely no reason that a guy with less time in than me should get a better bid...

Agreed! Single board seniority makes the most sense.

To guys with seniority.
We had to put our time in and you shouldn't have to re-earn your seniority just because you change your bid. That's the whole POINT of bidding in the first place, is to use your seniority to get the better runs...

You are completely wrong. I ran linehaul the whole time I worked for Conway. I couldnt begin to count the number of city guy that came out on linehaul ahead of me just cause they got mad at the city dispatcher or something stupid. Only took a couple of weeks before they realized its worethey didnewant to do. Then it was f hem not wanting to work, cutting people's spots, throwing fits on the dock, and everything that goes with it. Next year, gone back to the city. I called them "one hit wonders." Cause its a wonder they made it. Dont worry about it here. I hired on in a certain spot to do a job and that job I will do. They gave me the spot so the only way I should be able to move is up.

If you want constant uncertainty in your job, do it the Conway way.

You are completely wrong. I ran linehaul the whole time I worked for Conway. I couldnt begin to count the number of city guy that came out on linehaul ahead of me just cause they got mad at the city dispatcher or something stupid. Only took a couple of weeks before they realized its worethey didnewant to do. Then it was f hem not wanting to work, cutting people's spots, throwing fits on the dock, and everything that goes with it. Next year, gone back to the city. I called them "one hit wonders." Cause its a wonder they made it. Dont worry about it here. I hired on in a certain spot to do a job and that job I will do. They gave me the spot so the only way I should be able to move is up.

If you wanted to be above them you should have applied before them.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forum Runner

If they had the seniority to do it, that's their right. Just because you're butthurt that it displaced you a spot doesn't make it wrong. I had a good city bid time for 2 years straight but then a senior guy got married and decided he wanted it because of his lifestyle change and bumped me down to a crappy spot. I was pissed, but he's been here 18 years and I've been here 6, so that's the way the world works and it's no different than jumping from days to linehaul.

I went out to linehaul this last bid after I found out my wife was pregnant because we needed a bigger paycheck to help support us. I fail to see why I should have to start again at the bottom because of that...

If they had the seniority to do it, that's their right. Just because you're butthurt that it displaced you a spot doesn't make it wrong. I had a good city bid time for 2 years straight but then a senior guy got married and decided he wanted it because of his lifestyle change and bumped me down to a crappy spot. I was pissed, but he's been here 18 years and I've been here 6, so that's the way the world works and it's no different than jumping from days to linehaul.

I went out to linehaul this last bid after I found out my wife was pregnant because we needed a bigger paycheck to help support us. I fail to see why I should have to start again at the bottom because of that...

Great points and a single seniority board works wonders in helping with life changes as a reward to the drivers who've stuck it out for a while with the same employer. Though the work is a bit different, we're all driving trucks and were hired under the same requirements of the employer. Most of today's rooks right out of school here want the best city and line runs after putting in 2 months on just one board then get upset when they don't get their way.

If you applied before them, you could've done the same thing too! Us old timers called getting bumped on the seniority list and dealing with it: "Paying Your Dues."