Estes | Western terminals

twinpups

TB Lurker
Credits
I looked on the Estes site and saw the Montana and Wyoming terminals were in gray, are these shut down or just not updated on the site? Thinking about moving west from the south. Colorado, Oregon, and Washington interest me also but seem like the cost of living is too high. Out west what's the best bet for a big terminal with good/plenty runs? It would be strange if they are shut down, I looked at the OD and ABF terminals and OD alone has about 5 terminals in MT. Ltl's like to stay close from my experience

Those MT and WY terminals are small and managed by larger terminals elsewhere. For instance, Casper WY is ran by Denver.

Denver has a few runs. I nearly transferred out there a couple of years ago but real estate is ridiculous out there. Not many good linehaul terminals out west really. Kansas City would probably be as far west as you could get with Estes to have a good linehaul experience and keep cost of living reasonable.

Depends on how much time you have though.

Somehow OD manages to have tons of linehaul guys out west. Not sure why we don't.

I looked on the Estes site and saw the Montana and Wyoming terminals were in gray, are these shut down or just not updated on the site? Thinking about moving west from the south. Colorado, Oregon, and Washington interest me also but seem like the cost of living is too high. Out west what's the best bet for a big terminal with good/plenty runs? It would be strange if they are shut down, I looked at the OD and ABF terminals and OD alone has about 5 terminals in MT. Ltl's like to stay close from my experience
Estes does not cover most of Montana or Wyoming,we give that freight to agent (NPT), who has terminals there.

Is Denver the busiest out of Grand Junction and Colorado Springs? Salt Lake, UT a big terminal also? I don't wanna put myself in a position where I'm at an EOL terminal with 6 linehaul drivers and 6 runs where my options would be limited. Any info on Oregon, Washington terminals would be appreciated.

Also, is pulling triples part of a driver's daily run or is it as needed?

SLC is a decent size terminal, but not many runs. Lots of purchased transportation out that way.

In Denver, the KCK meets are triples. Denver is probably the busiest around that region.

Your TM can get in the computer and see how many scheduled runs a terminal has. I had mine check for me back when I was thinking of making the move.

Is Denver the busiest out of Grand Junction and Colorado Springs? Salt Lake, UT a big terminal also? I don't wanna put myself in a position where I'm at an EOL terminal with 6 linehaul drivers and 6 runs where my options would be limited. Any info on Oregon, Washington terminals would be appreciated.

Also, is pulling triples part of a driver's daily run or is it as needed?
I am out of SLC. We are triple lane except going east. If you are on the scheduled run going West, North, or South you will be pulling triples(except when it is snowing). We have about 11, 500 mile runs and half of them are at night. Everything else is from 370 to 420 miles,and there is about 9 of those runs. All of our solo runs are meet and turn. For one of those 500 mile day runs,(and there is about 5 of those), you need to have 15+ years of seniority. More then a half of our East freight (CHI,TOL,CHA,ATL....)goes on team trucks. When it comes to Oregon and Washington I know a little bit from my extra board days. Many of those guys run meet and turn with Boise on I 84, and up to TRC, and they do keep busy. Denver has more runs than we, but that terminal is a mess, short dock workers and P&D guys big time.I hope this helps.

Great info, thank you. I was looking forward to hearing that there is in fact mega terminals like Harrisburg and Greensboro out west, but I guess not. At these two terminals, it is very possible for a newer guy to start off their linehaul position on a bid run, and stay off xb completely, depending on how the seniority list plays out throughout the years. I've been running the road for 5 years and I have a feeling I'll be on the xb for a while (years) until I get to land a 300 some mile run out west. I wouldn't mind running it for a while but I don't wanna be gone a week at a time for years, been there done that.

Seems like Estes is just heavier on the east coast and Midwest. There are 600+ mile runs over here.

I am out of SLC. We are triple lane except going east. If you are on the scheduled run going West, North, or South you will be pulling triples(except when it is snowing). We have about 11, 500 mile runs and half of them are at night. Everything else is from 370 to 420 miles,and there is about 9 of those runs. All of our solo runs are meet and turn. For one of those 500 mile day runs,(and there is about 5 of those), you need to have 15+ years of seniority. More then a half of our East freight (CHI,TOL,CHA,ATL....)goes on team trucks. When it comes to Oregon and Washington I know a little bit from my extra board days. Many of those guys run meet and turn with Boise on I 84, and up to TRC, and they do keep busy. Denver has more runs than we, but that terminal is a mess, short dock workers and P&D guys big time.I hope this helps.
We get contractor teams into Charlotte from SLC. Have a co-worker from another Eastern terminal that got run out to SLC and they sent him back east, he said you have plenty of Reno loads with no names on them and service days were closer than the freight going back to Denver. He said that, that didn't make sense but he did as he was told.