SAIA | What do you like/ dislike about working here at Saia?

Demolitionman

TB Veteran
Credits
Post up what you really like about working here, and those things you don't. This will help people coming to Truckingboards thinking about working at Saia get a broad range of our feelings on the company, and I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts.

I work linehaul and at a small terminal so my day is pretty much set in stone. That is my main like. Unlike my previous job, I am off on weekends and holidays and I am not obligated to volunteer even if Central did call unless, of course, it is my weekend to be on call. I'm pretty much satisfied with everything. I don't bother anyone, I just do my job, and then I get the hell out of the way. As for dislikes, there are some employees, like local dispatchers, that I must have some contact with but it is as minimal as I can make it. A few more years and they can have it.

P&D at a large terminal, overtime after 40, (CA) near the top of the seniority board.

Too many hours on a daily basis. 12 average. The last day of the week is ALL overtime. Because of that, they often "rotate" us (give us an unpaid day off) weekly. SAIA is very good at manipulating the rules in their favor.

Free medical after ten years of service is a bonus. Tractors are kept on good shape, trailers not so much.

I'll add my thoughts finally. I like most of the people I work with, the pay is pretty decent, and the paid holidays. Dislikes are the more effort you put forth and the more you learn the more you are expected to do and have thrown on you, there are plenty that don't do their job and they get to slide by.