R&L | What happen to the Pride?

This country is not ruled by the majority, it is ruled by the majority of people that participate. Thomas Jefferson

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it. Thomas Paine

In these sentiments, sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults; if they are such; because I think a general government necessary for us, and there is no form of government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered; and I believe, further, that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic government, being incapable of any other. Benjamin Franklin

my god, these wonderful words of our founding fathers. its a real shame more americans dont actually take these to heart. but i guess its a lot easier and more comfy to sit on the couch at home watching american idol and complaining about what is going on than to be out trying to make a change. thanks citydriver for posting these quotes!

by the way since i see the highest court of the land is 100% looking out for the well being of all americans, check this out!!!
Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending - NYTimes.com

Isn't it funny that way back ,when employers treated their employees like ---- you almost had to unionized to survive, then things got a little better and companies said you don't need representation cause' we kinda treat you good. BUT KNOW IT'S COME FULL CIRCLE.

They will reap what they sow!

They have sowed alot of bad seed over the past year or so, with not only their employee's, but also with their customers...

There are alot of drivers I talk to that could care less if R&L went out of business..(Current R&L drivers)

Morale has never been worse, and this includes everyone, not just drivers...

It is obvious, the one's running the company care "NOTHING" about the emploee's

A little "GRATITUDE" from ther company would be nice, but its not in the bunch running the place...(No people skills)

There was once a time when the employee's felt appreciated, that was when Larry Roberts was running the company...It is obvious, that he has turned control over to either his sons and is completely out of the picture, and they have turned it over to Zimmerman

What a shame this company has become....

i think if any of us believe the owners are still not heaviy involved with running this truckline we are kidding ourselves. wilsonwilson hit it on the head...we need to try and stay positive. the turn of this industry has nothing to do with the owners, "yrc people" zimmerman, etc. i have had 10-15 companies shut down in the last 6 months on my route. i probably picked up on an average of 10 bills a week from them about a year and half ago. if that is happening in every market, thats a pretty significant impact on the shipping industry. lets face the facts, the economy is killing us, not the truckline...

i think if any of us believe the owners are still not heaviy involved with running this truckline we are kidding ourselves. wilsonwilson hit it on the head...we need to try and stay positive. the turn of this industry has nothing to do with the owners, "yrc people" zimmerman, etc. i have had 10-15 companies shut down in the last 6 months on my route. i probably picked up on an average of 10 bills a week from them about a year and half ago. if that is happening in every market, thats a pretty significant impact on the shipping industry. lets face the facts, the economy is killing us, not the truckline...

Part of what you say is true, the economy is killing us..But the fact of the matter is, they don't have to treat us with the CONTEMPT that they are treating us with...A little GRATITUDE would me nice...A THANK YOU would be nice..

Instead all you get, "IF YOU CAN'T GET THE JOB DONE FASTER, WE"LL FIND SOMEONE WHO WILL".We all know the economy is crap, its crap for everyone, companies and employers alike...If they would treat us like human beings, instead of the enemy, "GIVE US ENOUGH HELP TO SERVICE OUR CUSTOMERS", we would have more freight than we would know what to do with...

I don;t think for a minute that Larry Roberts SR is involved at all with this company, he has turned it over to his boys, and they let Zimmerman do what he wants, and he has no people skills, and cares nothing about his employee's..PERIOD..

They will reap what they sow!

They have sowed alot of bad seed over the past year or so, with not only their employee's, but also with their customers...

There are alot of drivers I talk to that could care less if R&L went out of business..(Current R&L drivers)

Morale has never been worse, and this includes everyone, not just drivers...

It is obvious, the one's running the company care "NOTHING" about the emploee's

A little "GRATITUDE" from ther company would be nice, but its not in the bunch running the place...(No people skills)

There was once a time when the employee's felt appreciated, that was when Larry Roberts was running the company...It is obvious, that he has turned control over to either his sons and is completely out of the picture, and they have turned it over to Zimmerman

What a shame this company has become....
When the economy gets going again watch the mass exodus from R+L. They have showed everyone their true colors!!!!!!!

When the economy gets going again watch the mass exodus from R+L. They have showed everyone their true colors!!!!!!!

Yes they have...The management at our barn is trying to STARVE OUT certain drivers they do not like, and want to get rid of. At our barn, they leave 5=6 drivers a day at home, them make them start calling every hou, starting at 11 or 12r to see if they are needed...At about 3 o-clock, they fnially tell us we are not needed... (Is this even legal?)

Some drivers at our barn are getting their 50 hours, and then some are only working 2-3 days a week, getting 20-30 hours...The dispatchers treatr us like crap, all we ever hear is you are in the red, HURRY UP...I don't give a crap if I am in the red or not, when they start treating us like human beings again, maybe I willcare...

Quote : The dispatchers treat us like crap, all we ever hear is you are in the red, HURRY UP...I don't give a crap if I am in the red or not, Maybe its the dispatchers that are in the red,after all its not our fault they run us all over the place chasing numbers.

Quote : The dispatchers treat us like crap, all we ever hear is you are in the red, HURRY UP...I don't give a crap if I am in the red or not, Maybe its the dispatchers that are in the red,after all its not our fault they run us all over the place chasing numbers.

The drivesr get ALL the blame, itis never the bad routing or dispatching. I am tired of trying to call and get an exception number, being in a hurry, and then having to wait because the girl who gives the numbers is out on the dock smoking as usual..
The dispatchers never answer the radio, but they want you to HURRY. They know about pick=ups, but won't pass the info to you, till you are 20 miles away, they you have to back=track.
You get only get credit for 1 stop, even if you pick up 20 bills. I am thrilled now, when I go into a place where I used to get a lot of bills, but now I only get 1 or 2. I see the other carriers getting the freight we used to get, but since R&l wants to treat us like s**t, I don't really care.
When and if they start treating us decent, maybe I'll care again.
Zimmerman has brought this company down to BOTTOM=FEEDER=STATUS.

I AGREE, NO I AM NOT A COMPANY MAN BUT LETS SEE WHAY COLORS YOU WANT TO FLY...........

HMMMM, EMPLOYEES FIRST?

FEDEX FRT, 5% PAY CUT, LOSS OF 401K MATCH
CONWAY, 5% PAY CUT, LOSS OF ACCRUED VACATION!, LOSS OF 401K MATCH
YRC, NEED I SAY MORE......15% WAGE CUT.......
JEVIC........CLOSED!
SAIA, MINIMUM 10% WAGE CUT......
R+L, PERSONAL DAYS, 401K MATCH (I THINK I WILL STAY WITH THE GREEN FLAG)
What my father always told me is true. You don't truely appreciate anything until it is gone! How true that is.

The drivesr get ALL the blame, itis never the bad routing or dispatching.

If a dispatcher does something stupid that results in a driver bringing 4 deliveries back, rest assured he will get an ***-reaming for it. I've seen it first-hand. I've had one tell me to break off to get a pickup 75 miles away just because it was my area number. Well, by the time I got all the way back to where I was to see what of the 4 deliveries I had left I could still get off which was NONE, because by then it was 11 o'clock at night, I didn't have enough hours to get back to the terminal so I had to get a room. So now we have pickup freight that missed service anyway, and 4 deliveries sacrificed to get it.

That particular dispatcher got the next 3 days off. Thankfully he doesn't work here anymore, which is addition by subtraction.

I am tired of trying to call and get an exception number, being in a hurry, and then having to wait because the girl who gives the numbers is out on the dock smoking as usual..

Easy way to handle that, just write"c/s wouldn't give ex. # becuse she was smoking" on the bill, either that or talk to the t/m.

Incidentally, If your c/s dept leaves at 5, c/s in WIL is there until 8. They will give you a number after hours.

The dispatchers never answer the radio, but they want you to HURRY. They know about pick=ups, but won't pass the info to you, till you are 20 miles away, they you have to back=track.

Just say, "you make the call. But just to let you know I'm 20 miles away from there already, and if I turn around we'll be sacrificing about 3 or 4 deliveries."

That may change his tune fast, because like I said dispatchers are held accountable for their drivers' returns.

You get only get credit for 1 stop, even if you pick up 20 bills.

Oh, well. Nothing anyone can do about that. That's life in the trucking business.

I am thrilled now, when I go into a place where I used to get a lot of bills, but now I only get 1 or 2. I see the other carriers getting the freight we used to get, but since R&l wants to treat us like s**t, I don't really care.

I wouldn't worry about either, as such things as that are beyond your control, especially if FedEx or Con-Way is getting what you used to get. Rumor has it Con-Way cut their rates so low you'd be a fool not to use them, and FedEx is literally giving the business away. They've told people that they'll haul the freight for free (that's right, FREE!!!) just to get the package business, so they don't even register on our radar screen as a competitor.

Old Domnion on the other hand, is our primary competitor, that is according to the sales idiots.

When and if they start treating us decent, maybe I'll care again.
Zimmerman has brought this company down to BOTTOM=FEEDER=STATUS.

Well, keep in mind that things could definetly be worse. We could be working for FedEx or Con-Way.

I AGREE, NO I AM NOT A COMPANY MAN BUT LETS SEE WHAY COLORS YOU WANT TO FLY...........

HMMMM, EMPLOYEES FIRST?

JEVIC........CLOSED!
What my father always told me is true. You don't truely appreciate anything until it is gone! How true that is.

Just for the record. FXF 5% cut was for Red Shirts and up only and they have reinstated 1/2 of the 401 match...the other half to come at a untold date...

HMMMM, EMPLOYEES FIRST?

JEVIC........CLOSED!

Only 2 little things you missed,we received no cost of living increase in April and most likely wont this April either and unlike all the other carriers you named we don't receive time and a half.